senator advice needed

Started by bill19804, May 19, 2022, 12:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Quote from: thorhammer on May 23, 2022, 12:54:30 PMI caught a 250 lb, eight foot shark on a bone stock 114HLW with 50lb Ande. I was in really good shape at the time, and I put enough heat on the Magnaflex that it permanently torqued the solid glass out of line. The reel never wavered. With heavier line I'd have just cranked up. Short of a really large shark, or maybe a big YFT, the 6/0 will do 99.9 percent of what is needed just fine off Va. coast, at reasonable cost and easy tempermant. My 0.02 from NC. 
On a headboat a 4/0 power arm and knob is needed and standard 6/0 is what's on the boat already and 9/0 is for bluefin,,shark,,,marlin it still works but two speed is better,,,, :)

Shellbelly

Maintenance is part of the game.  Don't do it and you lose.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Gfish

Old post. Ball bearings are out for me if I can't rinse with f/w. Especially with the cup in the Senators. If corroded in there, replacements are expensive and/or unavailable.

I

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

I have to go with Porthos on this one. If modifications aren't in the budget (and they are not or else we would be talking about newer reels,) then the Diawas are hard to beat.
Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bill19804

so  i  recommended  a  red  6/0  to  him  and  let  him  borrow  mine  for  a  voyage.  he  came  back  happy  as  the  devil.  so  started  to look  for  one  for  him..
then  his  wife  came  over  and  asked question  whats  the  best reel  made  to  handle  tuna?  what do  you  use?  where  can  i  buy  one?  how  much $

a  week  later  he  comes  over  with  a  box  opens  it  up  and  wow  brand  new  accurate  atd 50w  as  a  birthday  present  from  his  wife.
nothing  i  can  say  about  that  except   WOW

Shellbelly

I'm sending my wife over to meet that gal!  I have a b'day come up.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Bill B

Wow, sure made a big loop from a black 6/0 to a 50w... be sure to do a pre service before he takes it out. 
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

I used to use my 114 HLW down in baja and caught many marlin.  The reel will catch big fish so you can depend on it.  I retired it when Sal gifted me the Tank.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Quote from: Dominick on August 05, 2022, 04:30:39 PMI used to use my 114 HLW down in baja and caught many marlin.  The reel will catch big fish so you can depend on it.  I retired it when Sal gifted me the Tank.  Dominick

Dominick do you happen to remember what line you were using?  I was thinking of taking one in October. 
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Quote from: Bill B on August 05, 2022, 09:12:19 PM
Quote from: Dominick on August 05, 2022, 04:30:39 PMI used to use my 114 HLW down in baja and caught many marlin.  The reel will catch big fish so you can depend on it.  I retired it when Sal gifted me the Tank.  Dominick

Dominick do you happen to remember what line you were using?  I was thinking of taking one in October. 
I think 80lb mono.  With a marlin on the line sings like Lorelei.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.