I need an opinion on the strongest level wind reel

Started by Dominick, July 13, 2022, 08:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

I mentioned them. The line lay on mine was so-so, but you wouldn't have to pay attention to it if the spool was about 3/8" below full capacity. Penn recommended a 30" distance to the stripper guide to help things. The LW gearing was metal and look at how thick that diamond bar is in Henery's picture.
The drawbacks were line capacity, frame strength, and drag stack strength. Got a big Black Skippy on mine and hada thumb the spool as I cranked to land the thing(spool/drag was slipping)
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Picture. Coulda been that I had 2 on at once, the fish that took the spoon on the end busted off. You can see how high-up the stripper guide is.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

All this information is making my brain hurt.  I have not run into a fish that the 320 did not handle but the potential for large fish looms all the time in Cabo.  Usually when we target larger fish the 320 stays in the rod holder and other equipment is used.  I have a brand new Penn 350 that I never used.  Maybe I'll put some line on it and give it a try.  Alan when I am fishing for Rooster Fish I always use the Tank or a heavy duty spinner.  50 to 80 lb and up are constantly being caught in the area.  Changing to stainless might help and I might take you up on one.  The 320 is still down in Cabo so there is no hurry.  I am probably not going back until late October into November.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

305 is an excellent trade-off.  I think they were originallt marketed to the surf casting crowd, but trolling is where they really excel.

Shellbelly

It's interesting that these discussions start with "vintage" equipment, run through the latest platforms and circle back to original equipment designed decades ago.

Just one of many reasons I like this place!!!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Shellbelly on July 20, 2022, 07:05:15 PMIt's interesting that these discussions start with "vintage" equipment, run through the latest platforms and circle back to original equipment designed decades ago.

Just one of many reasons I like this place!!!

You ain't seen NUTTIN YET .......lol
I think there is a DIY Brain Surgery Thread here somewhere
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Shellbelly

I'll be sure to sharpen my Big Chief.  Knife, that is.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Shellbelly on July 21, 2022, 11:21:15 PMI'll be sure to sharpen my Big Chief.  Knife, that is.

For most of us you'll need a Sledge Hammer and a Good Chaninsaw.
A Big Chief Knife is good for Cleanin Toenails and Trimming Beards though.

Gfish

Quote from: Dominick on July 20, 2022, 04:05:21 AMAll this information is making my brain hurt.  I have not run into a fish that the 320 did not handle but the potential for large fish looms all the time in Cabo.  Usually when we target larger fish the 320 stays in the rod holder and other equipment is used.  I have a brand new Penn 350 that I never used.  Maybe I'll put some line on it and give it a try.  Alan when I am fishing for Rooster Fish I always use the Tank or a heavy duty spinner.  50 to 80 lb and up are constantly being caught in the area.  Changing to stainless might help and I might take you up on one.  The 320 is still down in Cabo so there is no hurry.  I am probably not going back until late October into November.  Dominick

Dominick, Having used the 330 version of this reel, I think as long as it's not too old and had too much exposure to sun/salt, the Graphite parts should hold-up, as long as the drag performs well on a hook-up. On that "Look Inside " post, Akfish who has worked on these, had some interesting comments about certain graphite parts failing. These would prolly be the reels of fisherfolk that had older/no maintenance reels and they were pretty rough on them.

Still I can see if ya dropped it just right maybe breaking the Drag lever or something else. If it were me, I'd choose the 320LD with the 350 as a back-up. How old is that 320 LD anyway?

Wompus Cat

Quoteby Gfish   I think as long as it's not too old and had too much exposure to sun/salt, the Graphite parts should hold-up, as long as the drag performs well on a hook-up. On that "Look Inside " post, Akfish who has worked on these, had some interesting comments about certain graphite parts failing.

IMHO Graphite is good in Pencils and that's bout it .

MarkT

Time to look at a Shimano Beastmaster or Forcemaster or Daiwa Tanacom... big, strong, electric!

A guy on my last 10 day had a couple of Beastmasters that he was using to jig for BFT down deep.  He also gave it a try with Wahoo bombs since they're pretty high speed.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

Best(only?) good thing about graphite is that it don't corrode.

flasaltangler

Dominick

All good information.  I am not going to spend more money on reels.  I have the 320 LD and a 330 star drag that I will end up using.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cuttyhunker

Doomed from childhood