I need an opinion on the strongest level wind reel

Started by Dominick, July 13, 2022, 08:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the the 350 uses the tiny #6-155 drags.  it would never hold up...... :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shellbelly

Sailfisher would do the job.  Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;D
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Lingwendil

Love my 350, but it should'a had 4-1 jigmaster gears and drags from the factory I think. Would have been a much more versatile reel.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Porthos

Quote from: alantani on August 02, 2022, 05:34:26 PMthe the 350 uses the tiny #6-155 drags.  it would never hold up...... :-\

40lb setup max...that is with at least with a steel 5-155 and the hobbed 13-200; highly recommend these two upgrades to max out the 350M's capability. Lee no longer has stainless 5-155's, so the brass one will have to do...unsure if there's a possibility of a double dog. The replacement 5C-209 will not survive long at 12lbs drag with the unhobbed 13-209LC. The frame posts and screws will need to be spot on to minimize frame twist. The unknown is if line leveling will function properly at 12+lbs drag...

With the original 300/30 mono rating, there's capacity for at least 400+ yds of 50lb braid and 40lb top shots. If the panga assists by chasing the fish, then that would be the compensating factor mitigating the lack of a heavier rated reel.

Dominick doesn't want to buy any more reels, however, a Daiwa 47H (with its lower 4.7:1 gearing and not the higher 5.1:1 gearing of the 47SH) can function at least up to a 50lb setup with its one-piece aluminum frame and aluminum side plates. Will also recommend a modified Penn Type A power handle upgrade as well.

YMMV.

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on July 25, 2022, 10:49:04 PM.....  I am not going to spend more money on reels.  I have the 320 LD and a 330 star drag that I will end up using.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  Dominick

so, you were asking just for keep the conversation on the forum active ?  :d  :o
The Baja Guy

Gfish

Quote from: Porthos on August 11, 2022, 02:52:43 PM
Quote from: alantani on August 02, 2022, 05:34:26 PMthe the 350 uses the tiny #6-155 drags.  it would never hold up...... :-\

40lb setup max...that is with at least with a steel 5-155 and the hobbed 13-200; highly recommend these two upgrades to max out the 350M's capability. Lee no longer has stainless 5-155's, so the brass one will have to do...unsure if there's a possibility of a double dog. The replacement 5C-209 will not survive long at 12lbs drag with the unhobbed 13-209LC. The frame posts and screws will need to be spot on to minimize frame twist. The unknown is if line leveling will function properly at 12+lbs drag...

With the original 300/30 mono rating, there's capacity for at least 400+ yds of 50lb braid and 40lb top shots. If the panga assists by chasing the fish, then that would be the compensating factor mitigating the lack of a heavier rated reel.

Dominick doesn't want to buy any more reels, however, a Daiwa 47H (with its lower 4.7:1 gearing and not the higher 5.1:1 gearing of the 47SH) can function at least up to a 50lb setup with its one-piece aluminum frame and aluminum side plates. Will also recommend a modified Penn Type A power handle upgrade as well.

YMMV.

What'sa drag system on the 47H like?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Have the 27H and the levelwinder seems stronger than a typical Penn LW.
Dominick, great thread that's generated lot's a info.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

I happen to still have the stock cardboard I took outta one if you wanna see them. But the drag is actually pretty decent once upgraded to carbon.

I bet the levelwind assembly on it could handle every bit of the published max drag. Was working on it for a friend so I never did any torture testing.

An interesting upgrade for those capable of keeping fingers clear would be a machined aluminum or zinc gear to replace the typical nylon of a levelwind gear. That way it would fail before it took the drivetrain with it, but probably handle a lot more load.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Porthos

Quote from: Gfish on August 11, 2022, 09:21:03 PMWhat'sa drag system on the 47H like?

Same as the 30H. If using HT-100's, got do this:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13484.0

Dawn at Smoothdrag has a drop-in kit.

The HT-100 route got me at least 16lbs when star was tightened by hand only.

Dominick

Quote from: steelfish on August 11, 2022, 06:54:14 PM
Quote from: Dominick on July 25, 2022, 10:49:04 PM.....  I am not going to spend more money on reels.  I have the 320 LD and a 330 star drag that I will end up using.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  Dominick

so, you were asking just for keep the conversation on the forum active ?  :d  :o

No Alex, I wanted to end the conversation. While all the info was great that was my final conclusion.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.