Penn 712Z opportunities

Started by sandbar, July 18, 2022, 10:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

Penn 712Z with a stubborn bearing. This thing refuses to budge. I seem to have this issue with Penn Z series and SS series reels mostly. Before I add to my legacy of Uncle Oops stories, I thought that I might reach out to y'all for advice. Not a valid attachment ID.

oldmanjoe

I use a open end wrench and sometimes two screw drivers to lift them up .
    Use the wrench 3/8 -7/16 as a fork under the nut and a screw driver or two to pry the wrench up .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sandbar

56F9FBD4-519B-419F-89EE-526BF63133F6.jpeg I started running a very thin blade screwdriver around the edges

PacRat

When this happens I cut a short piece of copper pipe to use as a puller.

You can squish it a little if the diameter is too large.

Then put a fender washer over the top and use your pinion nut to pull the bearing out.

I hope this saves you some cussing. It has never failed me.

foakes

A few different methods —- all will work quickly.

I just set up some blocks for support —-

Using a wrench supported —-

And a punch —-

And a hammer —-

It will come out quickly with no damage to any parts —- 100% effective.

Sometimes...a larger hammer works also...

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

So Fred...you're using the wrench like a fork and striking the wrench with the punch? I'll have to try this next time. It looks much quicker than my method.

Midway Tommy

I try it like Fred first but I just hit the wrench with the hammer instead of using a punch. If it doesn't pop loose in a couple of hits I make a puller like Mike does.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

sandbar

I tried the hammer technique and this is the result. It didn't budge.

PacRat

First, the good news: You haven't ruined your reel.
Now the bad news: You need parts.
If you're lucky, you will only need a new nut (sorry, I don't know the size).
Hopefully you haven't damaged the pinion. It's stainless and hopefully much harder than the nut.

The real challenge will be getting the nut off so you will know which parts you need. The safe way would be to use a dremel cut-off wheel (if it will fit). Split the nut down each side, or at least one side and pry it open with a good screwdriver. An alternative might be to hold your pinion by the flats so it won't turn and then turn the nut off with a small wrench. You will want some lube on the threads. To be honest, I would split the nut just to be safe (you still need to get that pinion and bearing out).

Once the nut has been removed, and hopefully your pinion threads are still usable, you should marinate your bearing with a good penetrating oil for a while before trying again. Set your frame somewhere with the pinion pointing up so gravity will help the penetrating oil get into the bearing pocket. Let this soak while procuring a new pinion nut. Sometimes it's corrosion and sometimes it's just the old grease turns to glue. Time and a good solvent based penetrating oil are your friends.

When you get the nut; use the puller method. Heating the frame will expand it and may break the bond to the bearings. You can heat with a heat-gun, boiling water, oven, or even a hot vehicle interior. Just keep your temp low enough to not damage your paint.

Good luck, please let us know how you're doing with it.
-Mike

foakes

Glad to send you a rotor nut, pinion, bearing if needed —- N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Did you put any penetrating oil or vinegar in the seam to loosen it up before you whacked it? Hopefully you didn't strip the threads.  :o
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

I would leave the nut alone and heat the housing with a hair dryer or heat gun , then try again with the wrench under the nut .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sandbar

Thank You for the suggestions.
It was propped up vertically to create a well on top of the bearing and soaked with penetrating oil
for 6 days before I attempted to remove it.
I just don't think it ever got past the hardened grease.

oldmanjoe

If you can set it up with penetrating oil outside the house and hit it with heat and let it smoke a little , it should let go .

sandbar

I'm going to soak it with penetrating oil from the back side for a few days and try again after applying heat.
How high should I set my heat gun?
I typically use it for paint removal when working on my old house.
FAB955FC-0D68-48A7-9DB1-2E0C0206D7BE.jpeg