tld 20/25

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the bearing will probably have to be replaced because it's rusted, right?  if the pinion gear and guard are stuck together, it will not affect the function of the reel, so leave it.  it will likely not come apart without damage to either one.  getting new parts from shimano is the only other way.  i checked and i do not have them. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

shearb

Hey Alan,

No the bearing isnt rusted, and the pinion is free. Its the bearing that is stuck in the pinion guard, not the pinion itself. Any ideas?

alantani

oh, THAT bearing.  leave it.  it will be fine.  i've been able to pound them out, but it is not absolutely necessary. 

shearb

Ok, thanks. I just wanted to clean it correctly... Hopefully it doesnt go bad or else Im stuck, ha!

erikpowell

Quote from: alantani on March 06, 2013, 06:00:19 PM
the bearing will probably have to be replaced because it's rusted, right?  if the pinion gear and guard are stuck together, it will not affect the function of the reel, so leave it.  it will likely not come apart without damage to either one.  getting new parts from shimano is the only other way.  i checked and i do not have them. 

Thanks Alan, you've answered my question. Pinion and guard stuck together, bearings were rusted and have been replaced..
..sweeet , i get to leave it and call it good. Thanks again & hope all is well at the "garage" !

shearb

Ended up ordering the pinion guard from Shimano (its pretty bad and peices are chipped off from cleanin). Not to bad, only $9... But my problem is, I need a bearing now, unless I can get the old bearing out!!  Any advice on getting this darn bearing outta the old pinion guard with out damaging it? If I can't get it, what size bearing should I order? There are 4 bearings total in this reel and 3 are all the same and 1 big one, correct? Thanks!

shearb

Is this the right size bearing to order for the bearing that is stuck in my pinion guard?

http://www.bocabearings.com/productdetail.aspx?ItemID=2348&MODSYSID=0&ProductSubGroupID=0

barrabob

Hi Alan,
I've been lurking here a while, but this is my first post.  This is a great tutorial, but unless I missed it somewhere, when you talk about the extra washer you add between the drag plate and pre-load spring A, there are no dimensions listed.  I figure a washer or shim 1 3/16" OD x 5/8"ID x .020 thick would be about right, yes/no?  I realize that thickness is the critical issue.  Are they available?  I have checked McMaster-Carr, but they have nothing of the sort.  I can always do the masking tape thing.

Thanks,
bob   

alantani

i have one that fits, but not well.  i can ship one out it you wish,  the masking tape works well enough. 

barrabob

Alan,
No need for the washer, thanks for the offer. 

Now on to another issue...

I was fishing in La Paz a couple of weeks ago and started to have the following problem...When I would put the lever into the freespool position, the spool would not click back to the left.  A slight clockwise turn on the Pre-program dial and the spool went back into place.  I have completely torn the reel apart, did the upgrade and yet it still does it.  I then bored out the hole in the side plate to better accommodate the end of the spool shaft, but still have the same problem.  I then wondered if the shaft could be bent, so I put it in a drill motor and found that it appears to be bent or out of round.  See the video here..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq455ctTA_c&feature=youtu.be.

Am I screwed or what?

Thanks for letting me gripe,
bob

Bryan Young

Looks like you need a new shaft unless you can straighten it. It sounds like your bearing is getting stuck and does not slide freely on the shaft.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

did you try rotating the spool shaft by 180 degrees to see if it works that way? 

BOE

I have an issue with my TLD25's 1 speed.  These reels have been stripped every year for 7 years and regreased.  I do not have a single problem with bearings and such.  I see on your page 1 of this thread it was 2010 when I put in the carbon fiber washers.

My probem is 4 of my 6 reels do like to kick into freespool after 7 years of use.  I pull the drag lever back to 0 drag and spools dont go into freespool. I have to manually pull a foot or so of line off the reel to get them to kick into freespool.    Once the spool spins a little they kick right into freespool and spin as they should.   But they should already be in freespool when the lever comes back.  Is the problem my belville washers have flattened out, or I need  a new spring inside the spool on the shaft?    Maybe reconfigure the washers to a thicker stack?   

I just want freespool when I pull the lever back.  Looking for a good solution before I use my hammer fixes everything approach.

Thanks,

Bryan Young

BOE, Welcome.

I too have had similar issues in servicing the reels.  Granted, I don't know the condition of your reels, so my response is going to be general.

1)  Too much drag grease - I have found that sometimes, I really need to rub to get the excess grease off the drag as it seems to vaccum the pressure plate to the drag washer.  sometime, it takes a little rub and a new toothbrush to remove the excess grease and that'll do it.

2)  Pressure plate spring - Sometimes the pressure plate spring is worn and needs replacing from use.

3)  Bearing and Shaft - Sometimes the pressure plate bearing and shaft are binding a little and doesn't pop free unless the spool and pressure plate are not moving in unison.  This, I take the shaft out of the reel, put it in my drill, and apply oil on the shaft and use a fine sandpaper or micro file and go up and down the shaft removing any excess material that may be there binding the pressure plate bearing.

4)  Other stuff - check the spool shaft and make sure it's clean then lubed with a very thin lube.  I use corrosionX and slide the bearing up and down to ensure that it's well coated and the bearing slides freely.

Hope this helps

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

G'day BOE,
Bryan's got you on the right track.
However, if you're still having issues after working through the above suggestions, perhaps try the following...
Over time, the graphite frame can swell slightly where the spool shaft goes into the left side plate (it's a relatively common problem).
If the cross-pin is binding in the slot, the spool can't move back into free spool (without 'encouragement').

Use a small file to open the slot very slightly - don't overdo it though.
Once the spool shaft can move back and forth smoothly, you'll have solved the problem.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer