tld 20/25

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike ferdinands, Ward and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

alantani

correct.  the bearings commonly rust.  the softer graphite side plate and the only slightly harder brass cam are easily deformed against th stainless steel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fisher480

Interesting tutorial. I have a TLD20 and recently bought a Tyrnos 8. Both are Malaysian and both had basically no lubrication in them at all. Is this more common in the Shimano's from that country?

alantani

not sure we will ever know. 

Hubbard1

Hello Alan. I just purchased 5 brand new TLD 25's. I have owned many and love them. I pulled them out of the box, put a small amount of line one them, 100 yards just for testing purposes, set the drag at 10 at strike, and got 37 seconds of free spool. I wanted to beef them up, so I purchased carbontex drag washers, Albec 5 bearings, and replacement handles. I had smooth drag degrease the bearings and lube them with ReelX instead of grease, I had heard free spool would be better that way, but would require more frequent maintenance. I applied a thin layer of Cal's to the drag washers, rebuilt two of the brand new reels with drag washers, bearings and handles. I did not reconfigure the bellevilles as smoothdrag said they have thickened the carbontex washers to account for that. Thought it went pretty well, but now I only have 17 seconds of free spool at 10 lbs.. Any ideas where I went wrong.

I am new to the site, and love and appreciate what you do !

alantani

even new bearings have to be opened up and cleaned out.  did you do that?

Hubbard1

No, I did not. So I should pull and discard the shields, clean with carb cleaner, and lube right ? Should I oil or grease them ?

I have removed the shields from the new albec 5 bearings since your reply, and notice that some keeper or c rings came out with some (not all) of the shields. Is this a concern ?

Thanks again.

Westii

Quote from: Westii on May 13, 2012, 06:14:22 PM
Added the extra belleville and the drag pressure plate shim, per the tutorial.  Now, when shifting the lever from strike back to free, the spool does not always go back into freespool.  It is obviously catching on something.  Seems to be more of a problem at higher drag settings.  Any ideas on what I may have done wrong or what to check to fix the problem?  I already took it back apart and everything seems to be in proper order.

I took everything apart again, oiled and greased everything and still the same problem.  So, I then tried removing the extra belleville and replacing the flat washer that I swapped out for the belleville - problem solved.  The extra belleville is significantly thicker than the flat washer, so I'm guessing there wasn't enough space for the spool shaft to shift far enough to get all the way into freespool.

alantani

Quote from: Hubbard1 on May 25, 2012, 11:14:54 AM
No, I did not. So I should pull and discard the shields, clean with carb cleaner, and lube right ? Should I oil or grease them ?

I have removed the shields from the new albec 5 bearings since your reply, and notice that some keeper or c rings came out with some (not all) of the shields. Is this a concern ?

Thanks again.

carb or brake cleaner and reel x or tsi 301.  don't worry about the retaining rings.  they should stay put and never cause a problem. 

SeaUrchin

greetings! Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I own a Japanese made TLD 25 bought circa 1993. I would like to take it apart for a  much deserved service but I do not have the wrench for the heat cover (did i get that right?). I would also like to replace the bellevilles washer appreciate if you could send me a set of washers  pm me the cost to Auckland NZ. Once again thank you.
A bad day fishing is still better than none at all!

redsetta

G'day and welcome SU,
I may have a set of TT40 belleville washers and a wrench - I'll have a look tonight.
Would save a lot in postage and hassle...
Also, you may be able to unscrew the cooling shield by hand - worth giving it a try (note that it's a reverse thread though).
If you run into any difficulties, let us know.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

SeaUrchin

Thanks Mate! javascript:void(0);

SeaUrchin

awesome, thanks to Justin I picked up the wrench and washers this morning  ;D will try to get it done tomorrow. My water mains decided to throw a fit today by bursting behind the wall and I had to call in the plumber ..... :o ::)

lyt

Hey Guys,

Awesome forum.  Truly. 

Ok so basically here's the deal, I want to completely strip down and service my 4 reels   (3 TLD 25's and 1 TLD 20)

Being new to servicing my own reels, I realize I have few to none of the "special tools" that you seasoned veterans have accumulated for reel repair.  The good news is that I think the only one I REALLY must have is that #230 wrench to do the cooler.  Everything else I can wing it, especially since I don't plan to do this more than every 1-2 years.   Alan recommend me to go to smoothdrags, which I happily did, but.....   

The other problem is that when I go to smoothdrags it's not very "easy" to know exactly what to order.   My intention is not to offend and please do not take offense....but the layout is kinda in the dark ages, I cant really understand clearly what I need or which washers i need.   I wish it was more "reel" specific instead of all these sizes of which i dont understand yelling at me :).    For instance, when i click on the "which washer is for me" link.... it's totally a dead link and it's like so hard to navigate to find all the things I need. (time for magento? I can only imagine it would make someones life so much easier there.)

so basically I am back to square one:  Can anyone tell me IN LIST FORM ( ie  1, 2, 3, 4)  exactly what i need to fully upgrade a TLD25 as per Alan's tutorial? I can follow the pics and instructions quite well (I am an engineer of sorts), but locating the parts in another story. 

In other words, can't i just get a ziplock bag of the parts?  I can't imagine you guys not being able to put a hundred of these together and not selling out in like 3 days, so many people have these TLD's.

It's funny, I am the ceo of a small corporation, but I can't even find a few parts for my reel :)  doh! 

lyt

If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...

alantani

all four reels are single speed, right?  and did you want new handles?  i've got a great handle for this reel that really improves it.  send a pm with your address and i will get a package out to you. 

lyt

Hey Alan,

Yes single speed

Yes I will gladly take 2 handles....

while your at it....do you have any upgrade for the Daiwa Sealine 900H?

BTW i just got off the phone with Shimano----got the wrench and drag grease on order.!!!  8 bucks shipped!!!!
If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...