DIY knobby mag

Started by JasonGotaProblem, December 20, 2022, 08:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Same premise as the DIY CT conversion thread. There's a kit that exists. Black Dog sells it for a reasonable price. But I wanna make my own because it's fun. I'm thinking a well chosen nut and bolt, with the head of the bolt recessed a bit and a rare earth magnet epoxied into that recess, and the nut gets affixed to the hole drilled into the side plate. Hey it's a start.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

xjchad

I used to make some of those.  Don't anymore, but here's some links to see the parts.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24662.msg276609#msg276609

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26171.msg296561#msg296561

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24160.msg279812#msg279812

Started with a SHCS, machined the head flat and short.  Drilled and tapped it through for the smaller threaded rod.  that threaded rod got drilled and tapped on one end to attach the magnet.  The other end had the knob threaded on and locked with a set screw.  There was a spring in there too.  All stainless.  Found some nice magnets that had a counter sunk hole through them for a FHCS.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Breadfan

I made one for my Abu 7000, it is a little crude. Basically its a stainless hex screw in a threaded sleeve with a spring and the mags are glued on to the end of it. It does work perfectly though. I found that after many hours of looking, I couldn't find the parts to make it look like the ones you buy, so I gave up. Finding a knurled cap with a set screw was the missing link to bring it all together. I will post a pic of it later. I hope you are more successful than me!

thorhammer

Mcmaster Carr, $8.76 with 1/8"ID and set screw plus indicator line.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thorhammer on December 21, 2022, 01:41:28 PMMcmaster Carr, $8.76 with 1/8"ID and set screw plus indicator line.
Hate to complain about free info not being informative enough, but can you throw me a search term (or a link, but thats a bigger ask) for what you're describing?
I was just gonna order one on rocket but the website doesn't wanna give me a "pay now" button after filling out my info, so I'm kinda stuck.

thorhammer

search knurled set screw knob

ourford

I was thing about it but decided to sell a few reels I wasn't using and bought a Blue Yonder. Sweet reel.
Vic

JasonGotaProblem

You actually gave a decent description, but i find myself annoyed by MC's search engine.

But looking at some of these hex-key-headed set screws leads to another question: why are mag controls on reels always knobs or dials and not levers? I feel like a lever on the tailplate to throw the brakes on quick with minimal effort would be cool. So a hex key set screw thru a nut fastened to the side plate, and an allen key cut off just past the bend, JBWelded in, might achieve that goal. What am I missing here?

xjchad

Jason,
I think the lever is a cool idea!  However, if you're wanting to be able to increase the braking (adjust the magnet toward the spool) you'd need to make sure you have a positive stop so you didn't crash the magnet into the spool when adjusting it quickly like that.  Also, it may just be me, but I don't think my reflexes are good enough to make a quick adjustment like that in the midst of a cast.

jurelometer

Knob  allows for very  fine tuning during the cast for distance casters, and works just as well for holding a a single set-it-and forget-it setting for the general public that just want to prevent backlashes at the expense of maximum distance. 

I was thinking that some sort of spring loaded thumb operated  push button  with an adjustable max would be the most ergonomic and you could adjust the mag setting during the the cast, or just floor it  it for max control.  But then I realized that this was pretty much the same thing as  just thumbing the spool :)

-J

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: jurelometer on December 27, 2022, 09:06:14 PMBut then I realized that this was pretty much the same thing as  just thumbing the spool :)

-J
I had a similar thought process. I thought more about what an allen key based lever would look like, and yeah that's a no. But i guess in my head I was thinking it would end up something like a lever drag vs star drag, but mag version. I'm gonna buy the real thing I just also wanna play around in the shop. 

Cor

Quote from: jurelometer on December 27, 2022, 09:06:14 PMKnob  allows for very  fine tuning during the cast for distance casters, and works just as well for holding a a single set-it-and forget-it setting for the general public that just want to prevent backlashes at the expense of maximum distance. 

I was thinking that some sort of spring loaded thumb operated  push button  with an adjustable max would be the most ergonomic and you could adjust the mag setting during the the cast, or just floor it  it for max control.  But then I realized that this was pretty much the same thing as  just thumbing the spool :)

-J
I use 2 reels with adjustable mags and 2 with static.   Just to complicate it a bit the reels with the adjustable mags use 0.5 mono and I use those for more difficult casting conditions or if distance matters.

I had the size of the knobbies on the adjustable mags reduced by half as I found that I continuously and unintentionally adjusted them with my arm and wonder what a lever would do if you bumped it...... move from 0 - 10?

BTW you probably do not need adjustable mags for most fishing situations, the difference this makes is miniscule and I think not practical for most people.
Cornelis

thorhammer

Mag Elite has slidey mag, which is basically what you are describing. Knobby is easier and less parts for production.   

Breadfan

Quote from: thorhammer on December 27, 2022, 01:22:56 PMsearch knurled set screw knob
I tried that in the past with no luck on that part on that site, I'll look again.
As far as the mono mags, they are very touchy. On my Rocket Reel, i have to reset it everytime because it gets knocked off the setting so easy. On my Omoto reels with a mag array, I like that set up for fishing much better. Instead of one mag, it has an array of them (many do, like the Penn's) with a clicker on the knob so it stays put. I find this much better for fishing and much better for the newbie who is just getting into bait casters. I do like the fact that I can adjust my Rocket Reel mono mag mid-flight, but you don't really need to do that while fishing.

xjchad