DIY knobby mag

Started by JasonGotaProblem, December 20, 2022, 08:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Quote from: xjchad on December 28, 2022, 03:05:27 PMThis is the knob I used:
https://www.mcmaster.com/6332K32/

Wayne let me know that the link I posted required a login.  Sorry guys!
Let's try this again: https://www.mcmaster.com/6332K32/

If that doesn't work, go to mcmaster.com and search 6332K32
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Breadfan

Quote from: xjchad on December 28, 2022, 04:47:55 PM
Quote from: xjchad on December 28, 2022, 03:05:27 PMThis is the knob I used:
https://www.mcmaster.com/6332K32/

Wayne let me know that the link I posted required a login.  Sorry guys!
Let's try this again: https://www.mcmaster.com/6332K32/

If that doesn't work, go to mcmaster.com and search 6332K32

Thank you!

thorhammer

thorhammer

and beware...going in MC with a paypal account will having you fabbing a space shuttle....

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on December 29, 2022, 12:07:45 AMand beware...going in MC with a paypal account will having you fabbing a space shuttle....

;D  ;D

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thorhammer on December 29, 2022, 12:07:45 AMand beware...going in MC with a paypal account will having you fabbing a space shuttle....
That's what happens to me when I walk into ace hardware. There seems to always be one more digit on the total than I was expecting.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

Chad, you need any freshwater tackle or whatever for the kids?

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on December 30, 2022, 02:07:11 AMChad, you need any freshwater tackle or whatever for the kids?

That's awful kind of you to think of them John!  I don't think there's anything we desperately need,  but if you have some stuff you need to get rid of, let me know.  I found a few more reels that I won't be using up here I'm happy to trade away also  :D

JasonGotaProblem

I've discovered that a axle end cap for a 1/4" screw is the exact diameter to fit inside an abu spool adjustment knob. Like, absolutely perfect fit. So it appears I have the option of having a 2nd abu knob on the tail plate of a flat side reel.

On the dome side reel, I imagine I can do some diagonal filing on a washer or two to accommodate the non flat plate, but devil's advocate; what happens if the magnet's path toward and away from the spool is non-parallel? Like what if I don't even try to shim it and it's just sorta diagonal? My initial impression is that's more about aesthetics and it'll work just fine, but I've been wrong, a lot.

jurelometer

If the magnet's face is not parallel  to the spool surface, some of the magnetic field will be farther away from the spool.   The field is stronger closer to the magnet and does not extend far.  There is usually a scientific paper a web search away that can confirm:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/a-Magnetic-flux-density-perpendicular-to-the-face-of-a-neodymium-magnet-along-the_fig1_303950116

I would suspect that the greater the angle, the larger the magnet would have to be to compensate, and you would eliminate the possibility  out getting the magnet really close to the spool if it was not parallel.   A tiny bit off angle probably doesn't matter so much.

If you can get some Delrin rod at your local plastic supplier, the stuff is a dream to work with. It would take little time to drill and file a nice angled shim.

This is my best guess.  But I have been wrong before as well :)

-J

JasonGotaProblem

Well I went and did it. And being the sorta clever fellow I prete d to be, I tried it on my 4500C3 before I try it on my 5500 fancy build. Bit of a learning curve. For one the reel has almost no freespool now even with the magnet backed off all the way. My impression is either something is unexpectedly rubbing, or that magnet is too strong. Will look for rub spots first.

I also attempted to avoid making a spacer by using pc7 epoxy paste thinking it would cure and hold the shape. And it sorta did. Next one will get a spacer.

thorhammer

Where'd you order the mag kit? They make one for dome sided abu's with bushing it for about same price.

That said, I make bushings out of black starboard scrap, which is poly, but I make a lot of things from delrin too, as Dave states.

JasonGotaProblem

I made it myself for $7 at ace hardware. What I'm seeing though is rocket uses a 1# pull magnet in theirs. Mine is a 3# pull. That may be my issue. Gotta get a smaller magnet.

xjchad

Nice work!  I used a magnet not much larger on a much bigger spool with good braking, so you may need to go to a weaker magnet.  It something were rubbing, I'm sure you'd hear it.

handi2

Quote from: jurelometer on December 27, 2022, 09:06:14 PMKnob  allows for very  fine tuning during the cast for distance casters, and works just as well for holding a a single set-it-and forget-it setting for the general public that just want to prevent backlashes at the expense of maximum distance. 

I was thinking that some sort of spring loaded thumb operated  push button  with an adjustable max would be the most ergonomic and you could adjust the mag setting during the the cast, or just floor it  it for max control.  But then I realized that this was pretty much the same thing as  just thumbing the spool :)

-J

I've watched distance casters

They adjust the magnet during the cast,

K
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL