DIY knobby mag

Started by JasonGotaProblem, December 20, 2022, 08:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breadfan and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonGotaProblem

So I realize I never checked the spool tension knob. Results are far more in line with what I was expecting, but I still think I'm gonna go to a smaller magnet for the next build. I did this on a reel that's a new build with no line on it yet. So i can't compare before/after casting.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Breadfan

Yea, wait and see how it reacts. On my reels with a mag array, the mags are always on no matter how far you back off. It really does not seem to affect my distance when fishing. On my knobby mags, I can back off all the way and it goes into complete free spool. I started practicing distance casting with the knobby mag Rocket Reel. I start the cast with the mag full on so I can really rip it and when the weight hits the apex, I quickly back off the mag...If I get that far without blowing up. I really like this thread and the brainstorming that is going on around here! Maybe we can figure this out so it looks good and is economical to buying these things from England. 

jurelometer

Nice!

1.  Temporarily attaching the magnet with something less permanent than epoxy will let you test with different magnets. Some folks just use a magnetic substrate (like a steel washer) and the magnet will hold itself in place.

I always wondered if the mag power requirement is affected by payload weight.  You would think that the mag is only supposed to keep the spool from spinning faster than the payload is pulling it, so it should not have to slow down the payload, just the overrun, but it seems that folks do adjust for payload size.  The only mag reel that I have has zero at low and near zero at high, so it is always set at full. 

2.  I think you probably know this, but if you ever need to get a cleaner looking application of PC-7 or PC-11, good old isopropyl alcohol can be used to clean, shape, or smooth the surface while it is still wet.  The PC epoxy pastes shape really nicely with those modeling clay tools dipped in alcohol.

3. Neodymium magnets rust super easily.  The nickel coating sort of protects if it is not scratched, but not for long in wet, especially saltwater environments. 

They sell epoxy coated magnets, or you can coat yourself.  I think that the coating deceases the power a little. 

If you don't use coated magnets, consider  greasing them well.  Sal did an expirement where he submerged regular construction nails in  saltwater for a fairly long period of time, some naked, some covered in grease.  Grease brand did not matter, and as long as the grease covered the nail, it did not rust.  Sal did the best experiments.

-J

oc1

Quote from: jurelometer on January 06, 2023, 08:55:16 PMI always wondered if the mag power requirement is affected by payload weight.  You would think that the mag is only supposed to keep the spool from spinning faster than the payload is pulling it, so it should not have to slow down the payload, just the overrun, but it seems that folks do adjust for payload size.  The only mag reel that I have has zero at low and near zero at high, so it is always set at full. 

What I don't understand is why it takes more magnets to get thumb-free casting for a 1/4 ounce jig than it does for a 3/8 ounce jig.  That is with exactly the same rod, reel and line.

I attach two to four countersunk magents with a #6 nut and bolt through the side plate.  Then thinner wafers magnets are stacked on top until it is tuned for thumb-free.

I'm not coordinated enough to thumb the spool or adjust the knobby thing while the jig is in the air.

JasonGotaProblem

UPGRAAAAAADE

I got a 10-32 lock nut and drilled out the nylon ring and pressed in a (smaller) quarter inch magnet.

The reel was only getting 20 sec freespool before I did this. Now fully retracted it gets 18 fully engaged it gets 5 or less.

JasonGotaProblem

It's on. I decided to make my own smaller lighter barrel nut. 2nd pic is comparison against the one I used before. Amazon has these knobs in anodized aluminum instead of the stainless currently in use. I can go way lighter. No reel is safe.

oc1

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

JasonGotaProblem

Thanks guys. I look at reel mods sorta like I look at car mods. Among other things I think it's a job well done if it looks like it could pass for a factory installed option. And i feel like this second version isn't far off from that. So im pretty happy. Now i just gotta spool it up.

thorhammer

Great work. I think the subject of how much magnetism is needed isn't as simple as weight of lure. There are more variables in there: weight of spool, how much line, kind of line, length, power, and action of rod, the caster's technique, big bait / small bait / no bait, and top me even the size of the reel matters, not just spool weight, but width of spool and reel diameter, in that it affects technique. Getting max freespool is always the bar, and may be great when you spin spool or throwing tourney over grass, but you might find in a fishing application with a head wind, 10 oz sinker, and a half a cobb mullet your magnet requirements are much different; what you think is heavy mag on an empty reel in your garage is quite different in practice. This isn't theoretical, you all know I've built hundreds of reels, and used the following in surf applications to back this up:

525Mag, 525GS, 535GS, 545GS, Squall 15, 501, 99, 990, 980, Mag 10, Squidder, 146 Squidder, 155, 9, 209, Omoto Chief (magged, THANKS BREADFAN for the SOLID!!!), Abu 5500, 6000, 5000, 7000, 6600W, 6500CT (mags) 6500C, 6500C3, 525 (mag), Daiwa Magforce (mag), 20SHV, 30 Slosh. I prolly forgot one or two from the last 30 years but that's a decent sampling, anywhere from 8 - 13 foot rods, glass and carbon, braid (mostly NOT), 12 - 30 lb test mono.

Also, don't underestimate the action and power of rod and technique- an easy overhead thumper on a soft honey Lami with 5oz is going to accelerate the spool a lot differently than getting into it on a CTS zoned blank with  8 oz.

Kurt (Breadfan), being an outstanding human being, sent me an Omoto Chief too put through the paces at OBX. I initially thought the reel could've used a bit more freespool. Until I actually fished it. Clicking up the mag a couple notches it threw effortlessly and far with 6 & 8 n bait on a 12' Tsunami 4-10. Tremendous value, BeachBob loves these reels too.

JasonGotaProblem

Yeah this 2nd one is attached to the sideplate with 5min epoxy, and teflon tape is holding the nut with the mag in place for now. I need to cast this thing before i can say anything meaningful about what needs to change. And i wanted the option to change things.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 10, 2023, 05:50:13 AMIt's on. I decided to make my own smaller lighter barrel nut. 2nd pic is comparison against the one I used before. Amazon has these knobs in anodized aluminum instead of the stainless currently in use. I can go way lighter. No reel is safe.

this 2nd version looks pretty good.
you might even get the parts put them on a small bag and sell them as a kit, Im up for 2 kits  ;D
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

I'm thinking the same, amigo. Jason, you're in bidness!

JasonGotaProblem

I just keep refining. I realized I can drill out the hole to accommodate the magnet by spinning the part and holding the drill bit still. Then I narrowed the bottom so the compressed magnet would have somewhere to hang out. This allows for far more travel. I can in essence get the magnet closer to the spool than before, and also back it out further.

God i need to get a tap n die set. I have so many ideas. 

John and Alex, I need someone to do some beta testing once I finish refining the design.

oc1

Nice.

You can buy taps and dies individually at the hardware store for not much money.  They can be held with pliers or vicegrips so you don't even need the handles for doing a few pieces.