Bluetooth enabled reel, Daiwa IM Z Limitbreaker

Started by 0119, January 20, 2023, 03:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lights up like a Christmas tree. Hooks up to your phone. Asian videos on it, so I cannot tell exactly why....  The future is scary to my old bones!

Cor

I can't think why a reel should be connected, but then I probably have 15 connected devices in my home between 2 senior persons.   I would not have believed that 10 years ago.

Watch fishing videos if the fish are slow. :d
Cornelis

jurelometer

Quote from: jurelometer on January 21, 2023, 12:22:24 AMEek!

The reel connects to the limitbreaker reel app that you have to have loaded  on a compatible  smartphone.

The app is used to set the mode/algorithm for the electronic cast control/anti-backlash on the reel, as well as collecting statistics about number of casts, casting distance, blah blah, blah.

https://www-daiwa-com.translate.goog/jp/fishing/item/special/product/im_z_limitbreaker_tw-c/connecting-system.html?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

The light on the reel lets  you know what cast control mode you are in.    I keep checking the date, and it is not April 1st, but maybe they use a different day in Japan. I can only imagine the look a Baja pangero would give me if I took out my phone to adjust my reel  :o   

And check out the fashion/lifestyle photos on the intro page for the reel.  This could work as  a futuristic fisherman concept costume for Burning Man. 

https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/special/product/im_z_limitbreaker_tw-c/index.html#

And while I am ranting, what kind of name is "Limitbreaker" for a fishing reel? Was "Poacher" already taken?  How about running the English language usage  through native speakers who are also subject matter proficient? They actually used the phrase "over the limit together" on the intro page.

My verdict:

-J

boon

Japanese market only reel I'd say (casual reminder to our US friends that countries do exist outside of the combined Americas :fish ). Limit breaker has a different meaning over there, means to exceed what you were previously capable of.

philaroman

Quote from: jurelometer on January 21, 2023, 12:22:24 AMThe reel connects to the limitbreaker reel app that you have to have loaded  on a compatible  smartphone.

The app is used to set the mode/algorithm for the electronic cast control/anti-backlash on the reel, as well as collecting statistics about number of casts, casting distance, blah blah, blah.

that's all???  thought it might locate oldest, biggest predators
by detecting high concentrations of mercury that move around

Shellbelly

That's not fishing.  That's remote monitoring.  Never leave your house and operate equipment thousands of miles away as you interact on your TV via a "chartered" connection to the boat.  Just sit in your virtual fighting chair, and hold on to your interactive fishing rig that's paired with the remote reel on a boat in the Java Sea. 

It's gonna happen. 

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Cor

My wife would probably app me on my reel "time to come home"
Cornelis

nelz

nelz

"Hey bud, you fishin' or playin' with yer phone?"  ::)

jurelometer

Quote from: boon on January 21, 2023, 12:45:55 AMJapanese market only reel I'd say (casual reminder to our US friends that countries do exist outside of the combined Americas :fish ). Limit breaker has a different meaning over there, means to exceed what you were previously capable of.

Yeah, I understand what they were shooting for, and I would agree with you except that Daiwa chose the English language phrase on their Japanese language website, presumably because they thought that this would have some sort of cachet, which puts them on the hook.  This is  not a simple translation mixup, more of a screw-up IMHO.

It is sort of like if I as a non-native speaker of Japanese decided to get a Kanji  tattoo.  I would make doubly sure that I didn't screw up, even if I did not plan to travel to Japan.   

To be fair to Daiwa and to your point,  I was being a bit rough on the name .  They are not the first tackle  maker to come up with a weak product line name, and this is  not the worst by a long shot.   For example, a  US company  (Penn) decided "Carnage" was a worthy name for a line of sportfishing rods. I mean, why not "bloodbath", "dismemberment", or "annihilation"? Fishing tackle marketing is kind of weak.  I don't think they respect us much :)

More importantly, in addition to being kinda useless, a reel with an app is a antithetical to what I see as the whole point of fishing.

"Did you see that?  Right in front of those two jumping manta rays and that sea turtle.  A huge whale shark just cruised by!"

"No dude, I missed it.  I was busy with my phone checking on my casting distance statistics."

-J

philaroman

ah, but the sheer :d  JOY of HACKING  :d  into such an arrangement
& messing with the stats of someone who cares about such things  ::)  now, THAT sounds like fun  >:D >:D >:D

nelz

Quote from: jurelometer on January 21, 2023, 09:18:07 AMFor example, a US company (Penn) decided "Carnage" was a worthy name for a line of sportfishing rods. I mean, why not "bloodbath", "dismemberment", or "annihilation"?

Yeah, Penn has several "winners" in their names lineup.  ::)

Not to mention (but I will) Pro Gear's "Violator" - yikes!  In Spanish it sounds even worse, as a violator can also refer to a rapist.  :o

It took to this year and aching arthritis to get me to abandon my 1960's Ambassadeurs for low profile reels. I can't see needing computer assistance with my casting. I bet it catches on like wildfire. Like cars that don't let you wander out of your lane so you can keep looking down at your cellphone.

Shellbelly

Quote from: Cor on January 21, 2023, 05:59:01 AMMy wife would probably app me on my reel "time to come home"
Yeah or "don't forget milk and pampers" while the BFT is stripping line.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

boon

Quote from: handi2 on January 21, 2023, 11:16:52 PMIt seems to me that you would really like this reel that gives you all of the unneeded info

Dude let it go already. If he gets up your nose just scroll on past, you've been taking digs at him for what, over a year now? It's not in keeping with how this forum rolls.