Need Advice On Drag Grease

Started by Walleye Guy, January 25, 2023, 04:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Bob that doesn't look like it would be too hard to cut with a water jet. Hmmmm
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

tincanary

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 17, 2023, 04:42:35 PMBob that doesn't look like it would be too hard to cut with a water jet. Hmmmm

I'd think a water jet would do it.  I believe they die stamp them for mass production elsewhere.  This type of drag clicker setup with the spur washer and click washer is becoming increasingly common in higher end low profile Revos as of late.  I've outfitted every one of my reels with one of these sets if it didn't have a clicking drag originally.

Walleye Guy

Quote from: tincanary on February 17, 2023, 01:24:31 AM
Quote from: Walleye Guy on February 07, 2023, 06:25:10 PMI really wish my 1990 4600C3 would click too.

You can add a click drag into the more contemporary Ambassadeurs.  I've used these in a lot of reels as a screaming drag makes me dance like a school girl.  https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802572458963.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.e16638dapf1rK3&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US  They'll fit any Ambassadeur with the Ultracast spool, so C3, C4, C5, CS as well as the Morrum, Black Max, Pro Max, Royal Extreme, and Tournament Pro.  I even asked Dawn a few years ago if she had any interest in making and selling them but she didn't express any.  Bummer because I know her products are great and I get a ton of requests to put these in customer reels.  I don't know anybody that dislikes a drag clicker.
tincanary (Bob?), I apologize...I didn't see your response until I logged in today.  I saw a conversion kit on Ebay a couple years ago and always wondered if it was a well-engineered kit or would not perform well.  If I recall, the kit I saw involved cementing the click wheel to the main gear.  The kit you use doesn't appear to be this way.

thorhammer, thanks for the compliment.  I'm eager to fish this reel because I want to know how the 6000 family feels on a good pike rod.  The first test drive will be our Canada trip this June.  I've heard nothing but good about Simon and would really love the honor to meet him sometime.

tincanary

Quote from: tincanary on February 17, 2023, 01:24:31 AMtincanary (Bob?), I apologize...I didn't see your response until I logged in today.  I saw a conversion kit on Ebay a couple years ago and always wondered if it was a well-engineered kit or would not perform well.  If I recall, the kit I saw involved cementing the click wheel to the main gear.  The kit you use doesn't appear to be this way.

The drag clicker kits originated a few years back from a Russian fellow, he was charging about $40 per set for them at the time plus shipping.  The Chinese doing what they do best copied them and sold them for like 75% cheaper, plus the shipping is much faster.  I haven't noticed any quality issues with the sets I have got, they all perform well.  The finish of the carbon washers supplied can be a little iffy, but I take a fine file and remove any loose material from the inner and outer perimeter.

Walleye Guy

The gentleman I was emailing with was named Serhii and he was from Ukraine.  Here is a link to the Ebay auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264255001950?euid=3b418a4910d1474eb72303217553038a&bu=43197130091&sojTags=bu%3Dbu&mkevt=1&mkcid=7&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&ufes_redirect=true&ul_noapp=true

Is that the same person you were thinking?