Surf Fishing tips

Started by Shellbelly, February 10, 2023, 08:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

First, I don't consider myself an expert at anything.  These things that follow are what I've been taught by "them that raised me" and what the surf has taught me.  I've heard many, many folks say after their first and only trip, "I went to the beach and it sucked.  Surf fishing isn't worth the effort"....on and on.  They just didn't know what to look for. 

Basically, fish like structures and most fishermen try to find structures and fish around them.  The bottom under all those waves has structure.  Think about it.  Moving water moves things.  All that water in a wave doesn't just disappear at the shore.  It spreads out and has to go somewhere taking sand and shell along with it.  The solids get deposited in formations that become sturdy enough to have an influence on waves and near-shore currents. 

Think of this action as a "river" that's several hundred yards wide that runs parallel to the shore and is constantly swirling in huge sweeping loops.  Fly fishermen like to target eddies created by something solid in the current.  Well, the surf is a long row of these on a much larger scale.

Remember, the water has to go somewhere.  As it "goes", you can see (read) it.  When it changes direction it creates some kind of surface action that's different from everything around that point.  If you have fished moving water over structure, and know how to read it, you can easily learn to read the surf.  The surf just has more texture and all of that gives clues as to what's going on underneath. 

On a side note, you know when you see a surf fisherman driving on the beach.  He's usually not watching where he's going...he's reading the surf looking for something "different" out there.  Kinda goofy but it's a thing.

So if you think you're "once and done" with surf fishing, maybe try putting what you already know to work for you and increase your odds by finding ambush points instead of just throwing it out there.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

Never really thought about looking for structure in the surf but it makes sense. Usually my surf fishing location is determined by a place without many swimmers, but not so remote that the rest of the family complains. Come to think of it all my surf fishing experiences coincide with family beach trips. Maybe i need to go out on my own.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shark Hunter

I study the shoreline during the day.
Then go out at dusk and fish into the night with no one is in the water.
It is surprising what you catch just a few feet off the sand.
Life is Good!

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 10, 2023, 08:28:25 PMMaybe i need to go out on my own.
Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 10, 2023, 08:31:37 PMIt is surprising what you catch just a few feet off the sand.

When it's a family outing and the beach is busy, these are parts of the balance we try to handle.  Access to remote stretches is an advantage if you go solo.  Cold weather helps keep the human population down too.

Shark Hunter!  It IS amazing what can be a few feet from your dry feet.  I was walking at the shoreline when I heard a commotion behind me.  Right there in 3 feet of water was a bull shark chasing mullet.  Foot-long mullet were flying out of the water in front of a foot-wide mouth.  I could have slapped him on the nose with a rod.  I had the whole family with me.  First, I got the kids OUT of the water.  Then I became Fisher-Man...got the cast net and procured some of that bait.  Many were wounded.  I didn't land a fish that day, but I lost 40# line and steel tackle.  Got my lines pulled and rods bent inside 50 yards.  I'll put that in the "plus" column.  I probably could have thrown big Rapalas at 'em but would've lost those too!  It was fun to watch them scoot across the sandbar with line and leader shining in the sunlight! Their tails cut me off for sure.

So, back to Jason...I had the family that day and had to leave the heavy stuff at home.  Most importantly, it was good that I was able to pay attention given the situation.  On the other hand, I might have landed more bulls than ever before or since if I had brought the rigs for them.  I made do with what I had and enjoyed every minute of it.  The kids were real excited to watch everything that went down that day.  My wife was freaking out at the "potential" of alternative outcomes.  It shook her up.  Another day in the coast life for me.  You NEVER know what's out there, anything is possible and everybody's gotta eat.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

handi2

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 10, 2023, 08:28:25 PMNever really thought about looking for structure in the surf but it makes sense. Usually my surf fishing location is determined by a place without many swimmers, but not so remote that the rest of the family complains. Come to think of it all my surf fishing experiences coincide with family beach trips. Maybe i need to go out on my own.

All of my surf fishing was with family
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shellbelly

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 10, 2023, 08:31:37 PMI study the shoreline during the day.

I'm an hour away so it's not practical for me to make a dry run.  I'll check the tide chart and plan an exploring/fishing trip during the extreme low tides that max out during the day.  If I can couple that with a stiff north wind...even better.  My stretch is oriented east-west so a north breeze blows the surf out and calms things down.  I get to see the entire first gut exposed and the gaps in the bars are real easy to get a closer look at.  As a bonus, I get to walk out to the 1st bar, cast into the deeper/steeper 2nd gut without getting my feet wet or having to wear gear.  Yes, I'm fishing but also paying attention to what I'll likely be fishing over in a week or two. 

I've noticed that the location of the bar breaks (holes) don't change much or quickly, but the depth and shape of the guts can change +/-.  In some instances, the underlying semi-hard clay becomes exposed in the gut.  It has a pitted surface with uneven edges...great places for bait critters to hide and start a food chain.  Not so great for dragging fixed-wire spider weights or walking on!  These spots are good for bouncing light baits in the current while heavy tackle is heaved way out into the beyond....waiting and waiting.  I don't like to just sit and stare at rod tips.  There's too much water to fish in.  Besides, I'm all set at low drag with clickers on.  They won't over spool and I'll hear it.

Another thing about bar breaks or holes... these spaces are usually the only spots deep enough where large debris can pass through to the shore.  I'm talking about huge tree trunks, mooring bouys, boat parts, dead whales etc.  When these land, they can be pretty reliable markers of nearby holes.  To test this, find a hole in a bar and then look on shore.  Very likely you'll see more heavy stuff congregated in that vicinity all the way back to the dune/vegetation line. (On a natural and unmanicured beach, that is.). Now, that's not to say storms don't move stuff. Generally, large debris close to the water and up to mid-beach is a handy marker when the surf is unruly and hard to read.  Also, large debris can offer a good parking spot if it sits in the middle of the "road".  Don't park near a dead whale.

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 10, 2023, 08:28:25 PMCome to think of it all my surf fishing experiences coincide with family beach trips.
Quote from: handi2 on February 10, 2023, 11:55:19 PMAll of my surf fishing was with family

Same here.  Probably all of my early years were dictated by our kids.  As it should be.  Fortunately, the beach could provide things every now and then that they couldn't resist and made them kings of the entire world.  This photo is precious.  It also is an example of a hole marker for the surf fishing I got to do that weekend.  They wanted me to drag that thing home!

oldmanjoe

:D  I know you Texans go big , but that is some tide swing there .   I bet there is a lot of propeller cut around that buoy.  Bet it`s fishy when the tide comes in .

Nice picture of the kids ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

handi2

With the Pensacola white sand beaches you would look for the draw or. Where the sand is washed away.

Pompano will come in as close as 9 feet away
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shellbelly

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 11, 2023, 02:38:33 AMI bet there is a lot of propeller cut around that buoy.
Actually, that thing got loose from somewhere and drifted in.  I suspect a clevis pin got worn by the chain and finally broke.  It was most likely a channel marker with a red/green flasher on top. 

Given the prevailing currents, it probably got loose in Louisiana and made it here to the middle TX coast.  The coastal bend seems to be the boneyard for big buoys.  There are always 3 or 4 types in various stages of decay along this beach.  They quickly get stripped of stainless hardware and anything else of value that can be scrapped.  The really big ones turn into graffiti boards until they cave in.

I guess they aren't worth recovery even while adrift in deep water.  Not something you want to hit at 50 knots in your Midnight Express 43-footer....at midnight. 

Shellbelly

Quote from: handi2 on February 11, 2023, 02:54:14 AMWith the Pensacola white sand beaches you would look for the draw or. Where the sand is washed away.

Pompano will come in as close as 9 feet away
That's my point.  So many turn away from the surf because they just don't know how easy it is to increase their chances.  Even though they may have decades of inland fishing experience and already have the smarts.  Water is water, it does what it does, and fish do what they do.       

You guys in FL have super opportunities by being close enough all the time to 3 bodies of salt water.  The Gulf stream almost drops game fish in your laps on the Atlantic side.  The only dark side is getting the tar kicked out of you by the storms.  I understand why you guys hang on tight.  Bass or tarpon... or both in one day!  My head would explode.

handi2

In the 80's we would find square groupers. You know the bundles of POT washed up on the beach.
Gulf Breeze, FL

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Shellbelly on February 11, 2023, 03:56:10 AM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 11, 2023, 02:38:33 AMI bet there is a lot of propeller cut around that buoy.
Actually, that thing got loose from somewhere and drifted in.  I suspect a clevis pin got worn by the chain and finally broke.  It was most likely a channel marker with a red/green flasher on top. 

Given the prevailing currents, it probably got loose in Louisiana and made it here to the middle TX coast.  The coastal bend seems to be the boneyard for big buoys.  There are always 3 or 4 types in various stages of decay along this beach.  They quickly get stripped of stainless hardware and anything else of value that can be scrapped.  The really big ones turn into graffiti boards until they cave in.

I guess they aren't worth recovery even while adrift in deep water.  Not something you want to hit at 50 knots in your Midnight Express 43-footer....at midnight.
I was funning ya  Just like this one .
The following text is the transcript of a radio conversation (a version of it, as the video is another version) of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations.

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: This is the aircraft carrier USS Lincoln, the second largest ship in the United States' Atlantic fleet. We are accompanied by three destroyers, three cruisers and numerous support vessels. I demand that YOU change your course 15 degrees north, that's one five degrees north, or countermeasures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

Shellbelly

Quote from: handi2 on February 11, 2023, 04:38:44 AMIn the 80's we would find square groupers.
In "those days" a DC-3 came up from Colombia to drop a load over some guys waiting on the beach.  They dropped about half and had to swing around over the water to finish the job.  I guess the pilot swung a little too hard and a wing tip hit the water.  The plane tumbled across the beach and came to rest behind the dunes.

By the time the law got there, everything but the plane was gone.  No cargo, no bodies, no injured guys.  Word got out and people went down there scouring the area for bits of "cargo" that littered the beach.  None of the scene was secured.  Plane parts and instruments walked off.  We watched the County haul the wreckage off on trailers towed by dozers.  I heard the "cargo" wasn't all that great after soaking in salt water and mixing with sargassum.  Strange that there wasn't a fire with that wreck.  Made it seem like a one-way trip.

After that, "shrimpers" became a preferred transport method.  It got kinda shady down there for a while until the Feds finally spent some time there in '85.