Benora two speed. Another reel rescued from a pile

Started by Fishgolfman, March 13, 2023, 05:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Benora is a swiss made reel from 50's. I cleaned it up to turn. But can't figure out if this is a two speed.  Internals have two gears. Am i missing external part on handle like a button? How does this two speed engage on reel? Is it a handle trick

Robert Janssen

I think it WAS a two-speed. There was a button through the hole in the crank shaft, apparently now missing.

Too bad. That would be a cool reel. I would be interested to see the innards. It can't be impossible to make a new part, but i can well imagine it would be difficult to locate an original one, unless Fred just happens to have one of course.

Here is an instruction sheet I just stole from Ebay. See paragraph 1 and diagram at right.

Walter61

Yes, the switching device (button) on the crank is missing.

greeting Walter

Midway Tommy

Yeah, I have 3 or 4 of them in my totes but haven't taken the time to dig into them and see how they're designed. Maybe one of these days. They're a cool and interesting little reel.

If they're anything like the French Sup-Matic that two speed button shaft can be pretty delicate. The Sup-Matic's shaft is about the size if a #4 pencil lead.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jurelometer

Interesting...

Here is a photo that I found of the insides.

Since the double pinion is one piece, it looks to me like the shift button must pull the low main gear away from the pinion for high speed, but it still stays locked to the main shaft to drive the oscillation.   Low speed must push the low main gear back in to engage with the pinion, and either pull the high main back, or more likely disengage it.

I think that this means that the line lay would vary depending on the gear ratio used, but with such a narrow spool, no harm, no foul.

As to why a 2.7:1 low gear is useful on such a small reel.... ???

Source: https://ibb.co/ZWMHzg8

One for sale at the big auction site right now.

-J

oldmanjoe

My guess is that it is a sliding key in the handle .     :cf 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

The button on the handle is basically a spring loaded detent scenario. Push the button and pull the handle out and it pulls the small gear back into a recess in the large gear so that it doesn't hit the inner pinion gear, i.e. high speed. Push the button and push the handle in and it moves the small gear in to contact the back pinion gear, i.e. low speed. The button in front of the handle is the A/R/clicker. It's spring loaded with divots in the back of the large gear and works similar to the Dam Quick style.

FWIW, I took one of mine apart to see how it works, and BTW, the shaft inside the push button is really tiny.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oldmanjoe

So the push button  is just a handle lock for up and down.  The outer gear is free wheeling when the handle is down .   When the handle is up , the little gear moves up with the handle ,it dogs itself to the outer gear making it the driver ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Fishgolfman

I am willing to take reel apart at the gears to show everybody the mechanism. What do I have to lose! Think of it as a tuition reel to learn about a reel design from 50's

oldmanjoe

Does your handle move up and down now with out the button ?    Or is it locked in low gear.

Fishgolfman

The handle is locked in low gear. When i pull handle it moves but the reel will not lock

Fishgolfman

I see a tiny hole in the handle when you unscrew the handle. There is no pencil lead shaft showing. When i get gear disassembled...

Midway Tommy

I didn't go any farther than to remove the side plate, push the button and pull and the handle in and out to see how the two speed mechanisms work. It looked pretty complicated to me to remove the push button and turn knob on the end of the handle shaft. I didn't want to dig that deep and get that far into it right now. I did notice that both the button and turn knob have small holes in them. I'm not sure of their purpose at this point since they were both full of dirty black grease.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Walter61

Maybe that helps a little. Here are the two Benoras I have and a few more pictures.

Unfortunately I only have the role drawing of the big role, but the small one should be similar.

1:2,7

1:4,4

greeting Walter

Robert Janssen

This is rapidly escalating into a really good thread