Benora two speed. Another reel rescued from a pile

Started by Fishgolfman, March 13, 2023, 05:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Janssen

Quote from: oldmanjoeI am not sure if i can cut this on a lath or set up a grinder ?
[
    I don`t see the need to thread the button to the shaft , i think it can be done with a smooth shaft and set screw

Yeah, that's going to be a bit finicky, but not impossible. The thread is probably a normal M2. There are dies for that, and it can be done before the finicky bits. Or like you said, just skip it. Make a little notch for a set screw instead.
The skinny 1 mm bit, hmm well maybe sharp carbide tools, or a toolpost grinder would do that nicely. Or just put a Dremel in the toolpost.
Maybe start with a decently hardened shaft to begin with, like a 1/8" allen wrench for example. That way you don't have to worry so much about bendy parts or hardening & annealing. Or a decent quality small screwdriver shaft. Those are super strong.

I'm sure you'll figure it out. Easy does it, and make a few test cuts, try it a few different ways... you'll get there.

Fishgolfman

This thread makes me want to bid on the big auction board for a functional 2sp benora reel!! As far as functional two speed spinners got a dam quick 275, zangi 3v three speed and sup- matic 707!! Going to partially disassemble the 3v to show the board the gearing and reel itself in a new thread when i am back from fishing in florida.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Fishgolfman on March 18, 2023, 11:41:11 PMAs far as functional two speed spinners got a dam quick 275, zangi 3v three speed and sup- matic 707!! Going to partially disassemble the 3v to show the board the gearing and reel itself in a new thread when i am back from fishing in florida.

Be very careful if you decide to delve into that 707! Their handle button shaft is very small, brittle and breaks easily. (Don't ask me how I know  :-[ ) I've also seen quite a few of those Sup-Matic two speeds missing that button. I read somewhere that heat is needed to remove it but after I had one break I haven't had the wherewithal to jump back into them. I've got a half dozen or so that need to be restoed. 

If you can't find a Benora reasonably priced on daBay let me know. I have one that everything works on except the bail spring that needs a good cleaning & adjustment and the reel needs a good servicing that I would consider parting with.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

When i get back from fla. May take you up on benora opportunity.

oldmanjoe

I had made one trip rod from welding wire , and didn`t like feel of it , was not hard enough material .

Than i tried Robert`s idea of the Allen key , That was much better .    I did not grind along slot for the ball bearing detent .    I felt that is was not necessary to be so long and create a weak point . 

I have it in test mode now and it does work , i will most likely make another so i can refine and polish it .

I will make a button later on today .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oldmanjoe

8)  I made another one from a Allen wrench stock . Sparks a flying .

I ruffed out a button , just need to see what the ace hardware has for small set screws,  than i can trim down the length !

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Joe. As usual. Great work. I've been enjoying this thread immensely.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 18, 2023, 01:35:40 PMBet everyone selling one of these on the bay is thrilled that this thread took off
:)    I see some one picked up one yesterday !!!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 20, 2023, 03:02:45 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 18, 2023, 01:35:40 PMBet everyone selling one of these on the bay is thrilled that this thread took off
:)    I see some one picked up one yesterday !!!

The ones I saw I thought were way over priced, especially considering their condition.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Fishgolfman

Yes this thread has reel collectors interested!! Was not my intention just curious on functional oddity of my scrap heap reel!!

oldmanjoe

I moved on to the knob today .    It was frozen and cracked , finally got it free .
  I decided to spin a couple .     Made 2 that are a little more in diameter than the stock size .
       Seems to be a problem on these reels according to pictures that i have seen .

Fishgolfman

My knob is such a disaster! If I remove my black knob...it will disintegrate!! Nice job!!

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Fishgolfman on March 21, 2023, 11:11:44 PMMy knob is such a disaster! If I remove my black knob...it will disintegrate!! Nice job!!
;D  That`s why I made a few  , looks like you need one real bad  !