tld 15

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skrilla

I just opened up another TLD15 but this one had extra parts. It had a bronze thrust washer in between the c-clip and bearing. This pushes the bearings further towards the right. Here's what I'm seeing, pic taken from a TLD10 post...

This reel has never been opened. It also has the dreaded tilt to the right and spool stoppage issue and I was planning on adding a bearing sleeve to remedy it. Would this extra part call for a different length bearing sleeve than one 1.419 measurement posted here? http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2655.0

I've tried reassembling without the thrust washer and it seems to make no difference in performance with or without it. But the spool stoppage issue exists either way.

Any insight is appreciated.

cathauler65

Alan

Looking for handle upgrades for 2 TLD15's. I'm after 2/0 Kolekar handles on ss handles blanks with no counterweight. Have you any handle blanks that would suit?

alantani

the handle arm i have is counterbalanced and is a copy of the original shimano arm, in tribute to shimano.  they have a great reel.  for the grip, i am now down to just two sizes, the 3/0 bait handle trip and the 5/0 trolling handle grip.  the 3/0 with the stainless steel arm is what i would recommend for you. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sundaytrucka

I am looking at one, with the Alan Tani upgrades, and planning on using them with 20-30# test, live bait for yellowtail, white sea bass, small tuna, and barracuda fishing.

I see people using these for 20-40# line, but I have seen a thread on another forum stating the TLD 15 (out of the box) is a 15# line class reel, and recommended at 5# of drag. Then others have said a pin connected to the main gear (???) will shear off the reel through extended, heavy use. Does anybody have any experience with these and any problems they may have?

Thanks, Scott.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

day0ne

I have 6 or 8 TLD 15's and have run as high as 50 lb line on some right out of the box. I have never had a problem and at least 3 of them date back to the original release of the reel back in the 80's. I don't know what pin they are talking about but I have seen one that spun the gear on it's shaft where it is staked on. I considered it a fluke. BTW, I have at least 2 of every TLD made except the 50 and consider them great reels.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

cathauler65

Hey, Alan

Did you manage to get those handles & bits off in the post? Getting desperate now....

Bunnlevel Sharker

I serviced mine today, first LD serviced ever! Only one thing, before and after i was getting 4-5lbs at strike and like 15-16 at full. Is that normal?
Grayson Lanier

day0ne

Depends on what the preset dial  is set to.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

cathauler65

Something not right if full drag is giving 3x strike. Think the  cam is designed to give around strike +80% at full.

I'd try pulling it all apart again. If you've got more than one TLD15, you might have mixed up the cams between reels? I had this problem with my 4 TLD20's. trial and error swapping the cams between reels fixed it.

FYI - just fitted CF drag and TLD20 2 speed bellevilles to my TLD15's. Now getting 13lb at strike & just shy of 20lb at full which more or less fits in with the +80% stated above

Bunnlevel Sharker

Nope it's just one reel. I'll figure it out after I get done with the nightmare my lx is
Grayson Lanier

F-Minus

I just went thru a friends TLD15 and installed the carbon drag and larger TLDII bellville washers. When I first re-assembled I noticed that there was no free-spool, and the spool had a significant amount of drag and it felt like the spool was pushed to one side or something. When I opened it back up, it appeared to me that the bellville stack was loading up the spool bearings so I removed the thinnest copper washer (#58) and left the other two (#47's). It now works great, there is a small amount of side-to-side play in the spool but nothing crazy. I'm surprised that the very thin copper washer made that much difference. The amount of side-play in the spool feels like its greater than the thickness of the washer.

Did I just do something incorrect the first time, and just happened to have fixed it the second time?

Or does this sound normal for this reel?

Ruffy

HI Alan,
In your breakdown you swapped in the heavier bellevilles and removed one of the three shims. I've had to remove two of the three shims to get freespool, is this an issue?

Cheers,
Andrew

alantani

not as long as it works!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Anticz

Does anyone know why the main shaft (clicker end) is burred (flared) on this tld15? The lever drag wasn't working (kept popping loose) as the main shaft wasn't returning into the frame causing slack on the lever end of the main shaft.
I have filed it back into shape and is now working well.
Will install carbonex washer as soon as it arrives.

Any ideas as to what caused this??

Tightlines667

I just finished solving the exact same problem on a 50/80 Beastmaster.  I suspect the flar/burr on the end of the spool ahaft may be due to pushing the lever to full when it is set past the recommended max drag setting.  This would put pressure directly on the end of the spool shaft.  This would be more likely to occur with flattened/old Bellevilles or shorter spool shaft spacing issues. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.