Shimano drive shaft bearing upgrade

Started by ramsh00ter, August 04, 2012, 08:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramsh00ter

Quick question,

I have a Torium 20 that I fished with one time last year. Was not impressed with it's casting ability with 25# mono. I have a trip coming up in a few weeks for tuna and in the process of servicing all my reels.

I have seen a upgrade available for these reels.

Has anyone upgraded theirs? Will it make any real improvement? Looks like a cheap enough part at $10, but why bother if nothing is gained.

Thanks in advance,

Randy

conchydong

Welcome to the forum. This has been discussed before. Please refer to the following link and draw your own conclusions. I was also going to do it to my Toriums but decided against it.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4447.msg33879#msg33879

alantani

the bushing seems to work well enough!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LTM

I, as probably many others on this forum have the Torium 20, and am quite pleased with its casting (used for jigging). I've casted jigs 75+ yards from the stern of boats.  I posted the question regarding drive shaft bushng vs bearing and have decided not to change out the bushing.  If your not satisfied with the casting ability of the reel, sounds like there might be something else going on with the reel.  If your casting this reel you may want to clean the spool bearings and opt to put oil in the bearings (if you havent done so already).

Leo

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

actually the drive shaft bushing or bearing does not affect the casting ability of any reel. maybe what you were throwing was too light for the 20lb line or if not check the spool bearings and the spool shaft bearing/s. btw do you use your thumb or the cast control system when you cast? let us know, there are a  lot of good people here to help...

coastalobsession

Go with a bushing. Not much of a difference
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

reefmonsta

I have changed the bushing to a bearing on several torium 30's.  Personally, I cant tell the difference.  I had a pair of Tor 30's and only had time to change one of them to a bearing before going out fishing the next morning. I made a mental note of which one I changed and by the next day, I couldnt remember or could tell which one had the bearing and which one had the bushing.   :D  If you are bored and have nothing better to do, I wouldnt say it would hurt.  One of the big differences between the gold trinidad and the torium is the bearing versus the bushing underneath the drive shaft so it cant be all that bad.  If the bushing was that much better than a bearing, then why arent all the trinidad owners rushing out to swap their bearing to a bushing?  I currently have 6 trinidads (4 gold 50's and 2 30a's) and I feel just fine having a bearing underneath there.  But sometimes its easier just to leave well enough alone.  :)
reefmonsta