trinidad/torium dog spring upgrade

Started by alantani, August 23, 2009, 04:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

jim cornered the market.  i have several left over.  send me a pm with your address and i will ship one out to you.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Honkum

Ok so i did the install and it worked for about half the day. When out of the blue there was no clicking i figure the spring fell out of place. When i got home opened up my tn-30 found out that part of the spring that bent up to hold the pawl from bending back snapped! Does anybody had this happen to them?Is there a way i can install another spring without the thought that it wont break?

alantani

send me a pm with your address and i will send you another spring.  hopefully this one will hold up.  alan

Sylvester

Hi Alan,

We have had the same issues here in SA with the anti-reverse on the Toriums and Trinis being a big problem. A well serviced Anti-reverse bearing is the best way to no get your knuckles damaged. Our local reel Mechanic has also had his own Pawls and gear made up here in Cape Town and along with that had a spring fashioned to give the "clicking" action. He has been doing these conversion for a few years now and it certainly does work! I will see if he will be so kind as to volunteer a few pics of his converted parts. He also has some very special spool mods which he does and it really turns the Toriums into casting machines. We regularly throw them up to and well over 150m with our heavy Shark rods and thick lines!

Honkum

How far is 150m? Interested in seeing these spool upgrades! Im all open to further increasing casting distance on my tn-30s!!

wallacewt

hey sylvester
did you ever run into barry rebeck.
he had a tackle shop in natal
him and his buddies were invited over to west australia.
they won everything.
he could cast a speedmaster,on a 14.6ft rod a 150metres bait included.
back in 1995.

Keta

Quote from: Honkum on March 12, 2012, 09:42:07 AM
How far is 150m? Interested in seeing these spool upgrades! Im all open to further increasing casting distance on my tn-30s!!

Around 164 yds
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Sylvester

Quote from: wallacewt on March 12, 2012, 12:05:36 PM
hey sylvester
did you ever run into barry rebeck.
he had a tackle shop in natal
him and his buddies were invited over to west australia.
they won everything.
he could cast a speedmaster,on a 14.6ft rod a 150metres bait included.
back in 1995.

Sorry for the hijack mods!

I live in the Western cape, so no. The Natal guys are the longest on the casting pitch for sure. Due to their rock and surf conditions they have to be able to throw very far. The majority of the top anglers here will put a small, thumb size bait, to around 150 metres.......the Natal guys on average will be 20 - 30 metres further!

wallacewt

1/2 dozen sa fishermen turned up for the comp;and they had 25kgs of fresh squid for bait. they won everything. they pounded the squid with a mallet,cut the squid so it had 2 tails trailing,wrapped it around some pink foam,tied it on with ghost cotton, so it wouldnt snag on the bottom,(float over  rocks)and cast it over the end of the earth where it drops off.samson fish,spaniards,snapper you name it they caught it. some aussie didnt fish,they just wanted to watch them and learn,and i missed it. 

redsetta

Quote..samson fish,spaniards,snapper you name it they caught it. some aussie didnt fish,they just wanted to watch them and learn,and i missed it...
Pity, sounds awesome. Great story though.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Londonking

Alan, will this upgrade work on a TN40N?

CapeFish

Quote from: redsetta on March 13, 2012, 06:13:49 AM
Quote..samson fish,spaniards,snapper you name it they caught it. some aussie didnt fish,they just wanted to watch them and learn,and i missed it...
Pity, sounds awesome. Great story though.

Barry Rebek used to work for Basil Manning Fishing Tackle, think also he had national angling colours,  he was one of the owners of BM, this story I think was on their website or one of the Western Australian websites. It was good to see our butt whipping of Australians extended beyond the cricket and rugby fields  :) ;) ;) ;) Yes we do beat squid with a mallet and cut the bait into a shape to look like a small squid, some people even add eyes depending on how clean the water is. Beating the squid releases the flavour better and it only helps to use very fresh squid with pure white meat that the skin hasn't discoloured pink.

Bryan Young

Should work.  I believe that the pawl system is the same in the trinidad reels, but the differences is in the gears.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

thanks capefish,
keep teaching,we are quick learners.
couple of blokes i know fished against barry r.

every team that goes to sa has a hard time of it
but we will get ya,just like the americas cup.
all the best ;D

alantani