The Long Cast

Started by Redfish King, September 30, 2012, 02:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redfish King

I want to cast 100 yards!!! I dont think thats asking too much ? Or is it ?I live on the Texas Coast and fish McFaddin Beach for bull reds and need the 100 yard cast to get over the second sand bar without getting in the water.Currently I am waiting for a custom rod I have ordered from Dream Weaver rods in PA (because he builds a lot of rods for the long casters in Hatteras).The blank is sold by Tommy Farmer world champion caster .Blank #CPS13-610.The new rod should help but what reel should I get for it? I will be using 20lb test with 40lb shock leader.Casting 7-10 ozs.I currently cast over hand but I have been doing some web surfing on long cast and see I need to adopt either the pendelum or the off the ground technique.What ever reel is recommended here I am considering the sealed ceramic bearings for it.

Thanks Eric

Keith K

I'm not a good enough caster to be able to tell you what will get you 100 yards.  I've never casted that far.  However, I would consider a Newell.

Newell Reels cast great.  For 20# line at 1/3 drag you should be fishing around 7#'s of drag. The 300 series Newells easily put out 12#'s or so.  The 338 (think 3-38) Newell is rated for 30#, 380 yard capacity...or if you use the line calculator below would hold 568 yards of 20#.  The 332 (3-32) is rated for 30#, 320 yards or using the calculator 496 yards of 20#.  I think the 332 size would be perfect.

That being said, they are out of production, and you would have to find one for sale on Ebay or something.

http://www.accuratefishing.com/support/linecal.php

fishingjack

Also if you want to cast 7oz you need a 70lb leader, 8oz, 80lb leader (10x rule) etc....

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bryan Young

Abus have some of the best distant casting reels around. I'd get the 7000 size for this.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

hi fishing jack
thats very good advice.cheers

Jeri

Hi Redfish King,

I don't know that blank, but from the designation it looks like it is designed to cast 6-10oz sinkers, so this is going to be quite a powerful rod. For 20lb main line and upgraded leader (60lb+), I would suggest something like a Diawa Saltist 30, or Shimano Trinidad 20, or Fin Nor OHC 20, all the reels have braking systems for starting with, and these certainly help getting the reel and line under control when you start to getting power into the rod. I would suggest getting John Holden's CD-Rom - Long Distance Casting 2, it is an excellent read, and the guy has some very good techniques that will get you to 150-170m before you need to start looking at pendulum casting.

Hope that all helps

Jeri

jaypeegee

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 30, 2012, 11:41:05 PM
Abus have some of the best distant casting reels around. I'd get the 7000 size for this.

May I offer the option of the AKIOS also
They are designed by an ex ABU chap
and there are some robust options

The team here can attest to the guts of the reel more than I
But I have cast the 757 ctm and it is pretty sweet

wallacewt

beach reel
1000m x 30lb
dont know how much drag,30lb should be easy
no bearings to seize up
drop it in the sand,just rinse it in the ocean
made for shark fishing on the beach
cast 100yds,not to hard,$180aud
alvey 651c5 reel
cheers

CapeFish

you don't need a fancy reel with special bearings to get to a 100 yards. Even a big reel like a Trinidad 50 or Penn Senator can cast 100yards in the right hands. you need the right rod and learn the correct casting style.

franky

If you're going to use a 20 lb mainline and a 40 lb test shock leader, I would just throw a 5 ounce or a 6 ounce lead.  You get more rod tip speed coming through the cast.  Once the 40 lb shock leader leaves the tip of the rod, that 5 ounce lead is more than enough to pay out the 20 lb test mainline.

Depending on how big the red drum or sharks are, I would use a torium 50, Penn HLW113 4/0, Newell 500 series reels with some 50 or 60 lb mainline with an 8, 9, or 10 ounce lead.

If you are going to stay with the 20 lb mainline, a diawa sealine 30sha, torium 20, Penn Jigmaster, Newell 300 series, reel should do....5 or 6 ounce lead.

I'm assuming that your rod will be at least 13 feet long and stiff.

Study and practice the long casting techniques online.  Take your time and have fun.  :)

Bunnlevel Sharker

Ok step 1: Get a daiwa 30 or abu 7000. Step 2: Spool with either straight 20 or 17lb mono, or on the daiwa braid and mono. The 10lb for oz rule is over kill, alls you need is 50 to 60lb shock, with a shorter piece of 100 to 130lb tied on the end if cannon ball rigging. This setup can handle a 7' shark in the right hands with the daiwa 30. The abu, stick to drum. For your leader, a short as possible piece of 80 to 130lb mono and a 10/0+ circle or a 8/0+ j hook. Sting the fish quick with a j to avoid gut hooking, most people use circles for that reason. 100yds is easy with that for an experienced caster. I can hit 100yds under the right conditions with a spinner, i can lob my abu 7000 80yds easy with a king anchor
Grayson Lanier

CapeFish

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 02, 2012, 12:17:50 AM
Ok step 1: Get a daiwa 30 or abu 7000. Step 2: Spool with either straight 20 or 17lb mono, or on the daiwa braid and mono. The 10lb for oz rule is over kill, alls you need is 50 to 60lb shock, with a shorter piece of 100 to 130lb tied on the end if cannon ball rigging. This setup can handle a 7' shark in the right hands with the daiwa 30. The abu, stick to drum. For your leader, a short as possible piece of 80 to 130lb mono and a 10/0+ circle or a 8/0+ j hook. Sting the fish quick with a j to avoid gut hooking, most people use circles for that reason. 100yds is easy with that for an experienced caster. I can hit 100yds under the right conditions with a spinner, i can lob my abu 7000 80yds easy with a king anchor

Yip a 13ft rod that can handle a 4-6 oz with a Daiwa size 30 reel and 20lb mono will easily get you over the 100yd mark with a bit of practice. No need for fancy bearings etc to get that distance. How do you get your sharks so passive?  ;) Over here if a bronze whaler picks you up you will get stripped on a Daiwa 30 reel before you even have time to pick up the rod. We usually try and fill a bigger reel with 500-600m spectra backing and then 200m or more 40-50lb mono on top

saltydog

Well for most Bull Reds you don't need much rod or line strength for that matter but if you hook some sharks out there the 20# is gonna get you burnt.Most of the guys I fish with that cast for sharks and drum use 113h's or regular 113 filled with 50# to 80#braid and an 80# shock leader minimum with 2-3 feet of wire and a 14/0-18/0 circle or j hook and a 4 to 10 oz. claw sinker.It takes some practice but it is easier than you think.What casting a bigger reel comes to is practice.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

conchydong

Sounds like another niche where a Baja Special could do the job.