Nasty Jigmaster 505HS from eBay

Started by Bruddah Bill, October 21, 2012, 10:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruddah Bill

Wanted to take a moment to once again say Mahalo (Thanks) to the contributors to this site... I've continued to learn so much from your posts.

I thought I'd share a recent project reel and the story I wrote in my blog about it.

http://bb.ifishhawaii.com/archives/338

We'll I got this reel off eBay for $28.20 including shipping....

I was initially going to part out the reel, but wound up upgrading it into this:

Here's a rundown of what I did:
Sonic-cleaned the parts in a simple green solution to break down the old grease, removing what was left with an old toothbrush. Trashed/stockpiled most of the original chrome parts except for the chrome plate rings, bearing caps and the thumbstud. I used some steel wool to remove as much corrosion as possible on the rings and to rough them up for powder-coating. A friend powder-coated the rings semi-gloss black.

I have a jewelry polisher at the shop so I had some fun with the non-contact surfaces on the internal brass parts (see pic below). Upgraded to carbon fiber drag washers and gave the insides a coating in Cal's reel grease. I added a Tiburon p20 aluminum frame and a light-weight aluminum power-handle from eBay.   I've got some replacement ceramic bearings on their way from Boca, once they get in I should be able to fine-tune it for medium-game shorecasting targeting Bonefish (Oio) and Trevally (Papio/Ulua).

Owner & Manager
Ewa Beach Buy & Sell
HiFishGear.com

Alto Mare

Bruddah Bill, that is one gorgeous reel. You probably put $150 into it, when you were all done with it.
For those who believe that $180 is too much for that reel, good luck finding a better one at the same value .
You did very good, Bruddah bill ;). Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

The reel turned out great. All you need noe are clear sideplates to show off the polish job.  ;D Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

You turned a sow's ear into a silk purse!  Very nice!
viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

Bill that's beautiful work...I would have been tempted to trash the whole thing...but your work shows what can be done to a basket case....Good work.... Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tile

From crud to awesomeness  :) . The Tiburon frame will add years of reliability to your reel.
In solid fiberglass we trust

redsetta

Great job Bill - and cracker photos too!
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

saltydog

Great job bringing back that old reel,anyone should be proud to own one.and for those who say it's not worth the money,I'd take an old Penn over new stuff any day,but call me nestalgic.
William

And clear sideplates would be cool.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bruddah Bill

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've got just under $150 in the reel now including the eBay cost so your estimation was right on Alto Mare.

Owner & Manager
Ewa Beach Buy & Sell
HiFishGear.com

tom5500

steelfish

Damn !!!

That reel is sick !!
Want me to drop the sale of the 506hs and do something similar
The Baja Guy

Mattman NZ

Excellent work Bruddah Bill - looks like you even polished the side plats too.

Newell Nut