Less is more(some thoughts on the amount of grease used)

Started by Killerbug, October 25, 2012, 02:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killerbug

I have noticed recently, that those reels that are being used en extreme humid conditions(freshwater), are literally rotting(I think due to too much grease), either when they was serviced  by me in the past, or by the guys themselves.

Maybe an over greased reel, simply can't let go of the water fast enough, typically causing the IAR bearing to rust.  The reels I service for the use in tropical saltwater, are in contrary often in fine conditions when re opening them, maybe because hot and dry air allows the reels to dry faster?.  

I was thinking, that if you grease non moving parts, you increase the overall surface of the parts, giving humidity and water, a larger area to stick to.  So at least on freshwater reels, I am now only greasing the moving parts.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Ron Jones

Grease retaining water vapor in humid conditions is a well known phenomenon. I have been warned about it since I was a kid concerning firearms. You really need to take the material being lubricated into consideration.

For instance, carbon fiber is, for all intents and purposes, impervious to anything. Grease is an appropriate lubrication. Especially considering the benefits of greased drags.
Steel, even stainless steel used in reels, does not care for water. Grease is a great barrier against water, it's high viscosity blocks the liquid. However, grease is not necessarily a great defense against water vapor, especially since high atmospheric water vapor (humidity) is usually present at higher temperatures, which lowers the viscosity of some greases reducing their effectiveness. Oils specifically designed for the purpose are better protection of ferrous components against water vapor.
Another detractor from excessive greasing is dirt. Dirt LOVES grease, and dirt LOVES water. I'm sure anyone can see that mud and steel do not make good bed fellows. Ditto times ten for salt. Excessive grease is never a good idea because it does nothing but collect dirt, salt and water vapor.

Thankfully, our Guru, Alan, has taught us all to look at our reels often. Proper inspection and maintenance should prevent the onset of any corrosion, and minimize any corrosion that does take a foothold. Alan's procedure of grease and oil has been refined, and worked well, for over a decade.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Killerbug

Thanks for your post, I am servicing reels for others, I agree that frequent service is a must, but I am not able to service the reels of my customers so often.  

But do you agree that greasing non moving part will encrease the overall inner areal of the reel, and hereby increase the water retention of the reel?

NB, what might work well under your climatic conditions might not work well in other part of the world.

Ron Jones

I believe that a minimum layer of grease on non moving parts creates a barrier to corrosive elements that prevents corrosion. The emphasis is on THIN. A single molecular thin layer will provide the same protection as a 1/4 inch layer without the ability to hold corrosion causing contaminants. What I have been taught is to apply thin grease, wipe it off and then smear the surface with your finger, if you can see the smear then their is just the right amount of grease.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

redsetta

Quote...if you can see the smear then their is just the right amount of grease.
x2
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Killerbug

My problem is not so much corrosion directly on the non moving parts like sideplates etc, but that the water retention, or vapor created inside the reel, makes the IAR rust quite easily, and is washing the lubrication out of the clutch mechanism.  I think adding oils to the sideplates etc, will do little to help in my case.  The bearings are mostly fine.

Also, 50% of the reels I get into service are low profile reels like the Revo Toro, and the sideplates of those are full of corners where water and moist can find shelter.

I have often been taught that freshwater poses no problem to modern reels, but reality have tought me otherwise. Our humid climate, and in particulary combined with the brackish water of the baltic sea, seems to be deadly combination to our smaller baitcaster.

On the sea reels I get in. like the Everols, and Stellas(used for tropical saltwater) I have sometimes notice very severe corrosions of the aluminium frames, here a thing layer og oils would probably give some temporay protection.   My point is, that freshwater reels sometimes demands some extra attention, if used by northern reel pigs, in a humid and cold climate.  

One solution I have been thinking of, was drilling two smal holes in the sideplates, especially on the gear box of the Revos, but maybe the sideplate will loose some of it's strength?

Bryan Young

Based on Jim's garage experiments, I've been using corrosionX/TSI321 mixture on AR bearings, spool sides, and side plates applied with a cotton swab, on low profile reels and havn't seen an issue yet.  Seems the liquid gets into the smallest pores of the surface.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Killerbug

Keta

Greasing the non moving parts is for corrosion protection, for freshwater I don't see the need.  I don't see how a light application can cause problems though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Killerbug on October 27, 2012, 04:05:26 PM
Hi,

Maybe I should try that, but why mixing the two?
Just because of the history that I have with corrosionX. No other particular reason.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Killerbug

Cool, found a shop over here with CorrosionX products. Just ordered the standard CorrosionX for IAR baerings.

saltydog

I do alot of low profile reels here in Texas and haven't noticed any problems with the reels I service.But when I get a reel that hasen't been serviced and fished hard I find them usually a hot mess.Some of the lakes have a pretty good salt content.I use alot of Corrosion X on freshwater reels and it seems to protect them well.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Killerbug

I think the climate plays a role as well, is does for cars etc. I am looking forward to see if CorrosionX will help.

saltydog

Well I have my boat in a marina on lake Texhoma and it has a relitively high salt content and my reels stay in a dock closet year around and I have never seen any deterioration,but I wash my reels every trip and recoat with corrosion x.The only climate control there is what the weather is for each day,if it rains hard they get wet,if it snows they get frosted,just depends heck I've seen it 100 degrees in december.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Killerbug

The problem I have, is that I do reels for others. People who maybe only service their reels once a year, or when the brake down.  Those people, who wash and relube after each sortie, seldom needs me.