UPGRADING A PENN 49

Started by Alto Mare, January 13, 2013, 05:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Sal, you are the PENN MAN!!!  thanks for sharing and risking it for yourself and us.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Fantastic!

When are we going to double dog this sucker?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

broschro

Sal let me Know what you want for this reel, I could do some powder coating for u  ;D

handi2

Sal I have some NOS parts for that reel if you need anything..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

beacherman

I found a 349 Master Mariner at a yard sale. Took it apart today. Looks like it's never been serviced. I found a critical part that needs to be replaced. The top five threads on the Bridge Sleeve shaft are stripped. Part No. 98-349. Any of you have a suggestion on where I can get a replacement?
The rest of the reel, apart from corrosion on the metal spool, frame posts, stand, looks OK. I do plan on replacing the drag washers (using Dawn's help). The plan is to use the reel for Halibut.
Bill
(Beacherman)
Number One Rule; "Fish Where There are Fish"

Aiala

Quote from: beacherman on October 04, 2014, 04:06:47 AM
Part No. 98-349. Any of you have a suggestion on where I can get a replacement?

Here y'go: https://www.mysticparts.com//Search.aspx?k=98-349   :)

~A~

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

beacherman

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.  It's pretty spending though...$15.75. Yikes! Anybody have other suggestions?
Bill

Ron Jones

It will take me a couple days, but I have a factory brass one that I can send you. If you ever have the coin to invest, Alan's stainless sleeve can't be beat and allows you to seriously upgrade the drag on that thing. You can go crazy and turn this into a bulletproof reel, and depending on where your catching halibut that probably isn't a bad idea. If the halibut are 60#s or less you can run this reel stock with greased CF drags for a lifetime.

Let me know
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

beacherman

Ron,
Thanks for getting back to me. I want to keep it stock and I'm getting some Drag washers from Dawn. What are the details on your sleeve?
Bill

Ron Jones

It's just a factory 113H sleeve, which everyone on here says fits. I took it out when I upgraded to stainless. It is kicking around in one of my drawers, I'll find it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

beacherman

Ron,
Thanks for your help. How much do you want for it?
Bill

Ron Jones

Once I find it I'll just send it out, no big deal.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

beacherman

Ron,
You're too kind.

Have PM'd my address.

Let me know your address and I'll send you some smoked salmon, I caught off the beach here.

Bill

trond_solem

Thanks for the info.
It seems that I have to look for a 349 wreck I can use to upgrade my 49 reel since the SS gear sleeve is unavailable and that is just a partial fix anyway.

Does anyone know if a bridge from other reels can be used in the 49 reel?
I am thinking in the lines of replacing the gear sleeve post with a beefier one and a beefier gear sleeve.
It must be possible to drill out the hole for the post and braze a new beefier post in place.
I have alredy got SS main gear in it. This can be drilled to accept a gear sleeve with the same diameter as the 349 sleeve.

Anyone who has some thoughts about this?

Edit:
After looking at the part numbers for different reels, I found that the 113H has the same gera sleeve as the 349, but the bridge has a complete different shape.
This means that I can't use a 113H bridge, but I can use a 113H left side plate with internals as a donor, but a 349 left side plate is a better donor.

Keta

Trond, the 349 gearsleeve "ratchet" has a larger OD than the 113 gearsleeve. 

Quote from: beacherman on October 04, 2014, 07:25:46 PM
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.  It's pretty spending though...$15.75. Yikes! Anybody have other suggestions?
Bill

Use a 113H gearsleeve, they are not the same as the 349 gearsleeve but they will work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain