Experimenting with the 113H drags

Started by Alto Mare, February 23, 2013, 05:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 27, 2013, 02:38:04 PM
Thanks for your crazy tests Gary, it's very much appreciated around here. Just don't blame me or anyone else here when things go snap  ;D.
Keep them coming buddy.
Also thanks for the Pilot Marker idea, it still doesn't help marking the inner side of the gear though :-\.
This is what I do, I dab the gear in some flour and mark the sheet, it has been working nicely for me.

and here is how nice it fits

Thanks again for sharing.
Sal
I see that Cathy let you use the good china.   ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Since we've been giving these reels more horse power, I was thinking of a way to cut down on heat build up.
So, my question is for the guys that are smarter than me...that should be all ;D.
Does this make any sense to you? I believe it would help cut down on heat build up, associated with the drags during a fight.
Am I thinking too much ? ;D
Don't look at the pattern, I was just trying to give an idea. The holes have been countersunk so they won't damage the Carbon Fiber washers.

What are your thoughts.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jerseymic

Sal,

If I may say, as a novice to all of this upgrade technology, I find your design and technical ability most rewarding to follow.

Over here in the U.K we will never need these upgrades as we don't have the  size and species fish you have, but as I have posted in the past, you have inspired me to upgrade the reels I have, not because I need the upgrades, but what the hell, because it can be done!

Thank you for the inspiration,

Mike.

Cone

Sal, I'm definitely not smarter than you. I don't see it helping though. If it was exposed to the air instead of being sandwiched between carbon fiber then maybe. Of course I could be wrong.  ;D  My wife seems to think so anyway.  ;)  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

BMITCH

Sal, I can't see how the holes in the metal washer wouldn't build up some CF material. That CF washer is definitely under compression, no? This I would think would leave some materials( grease and fiber) behind.
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Good to see I'm starting to get some answers ;). Florida Bob, I hear you, but I still say they would work. I'm not sure how much of a reduction it will be but I'm sure there is some. I will need to get a heat sensor device and test two reels at the same time, one with and one without the holes. It's going to have to wait though, my budget is low at the moment:-\.
Jersey Bob, yes the holes will get filled with grease, but these are not acting as venting holes. By creating holes, you are removing about 50% of metal, this would be a good thing....if we won't loose much drags. We shouldn't, we'll see.

Mike, thanks for the kind words, I'm just playing around with this stuff ;D

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Ahh! Now your way above my pay scale.. Is what you are saying that with less drag material( in this case metal washers) less heat? Wouldn't it stand to reason this would also equate to less drag surface? Meaning less drag?
luck is the residue of design.

Dominick

Sal:  I'm down in NJ today.  Too bad you did not post this idea a week ago, I would have gone to your house to work with you on the heat build up.  In my opinion the less surface the less heat bleed off.  As a matter of fact I believe that when the drags are sandwiched in among each other it the holes will hold the heat just as the little pockets on long underwear hold heat in the little pockets.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

floating doc

I think that a reel drag functions in a similar way to the brakes in a car. The kinetic energy is converted into heat. I'm not a physicist,  but I think that having less metal thereby reducing the total area of the drag might result in more heat buildup.
Central Florida

alantani

Quote from: Cone on August 02, 2013, 11:00:30 PM
Sal, I'm definitely not smarter than you. I don't see it helping though. If it was exposed to the air instead of being sandwiched between carbon fiber then maybe. Of course I could be wrong.  ;D  My wife seems to think so anyway.  ;)  Bob

wives are always right.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cone

Your right Alan. It reminds me of the question: If a man is in the woods. There is no one around to hear him. If he says something is he still wrong?   :o     Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

My buddy Bob (Cone) decided to send me a heat sensor gun, so I made a little gadget to do the test

customized a little something for the pinion

a perfect fit

my 36 volts drill should handle the job

everything works like a charm.

We'll see if there is any temperature change between the two.
To be continued.....
Thanks Bob for helping out.
Sal

Alto Mare

Just gave it a test drive with the star cranked down and the Carbon Fiber washers look good.
Thinking about it some more, I believe the bottom of the main gear also needs to be drilled.
I will try it this way first and see what I get.

Robert Janssen

Wow, NOW you're getting serious! Cool. Clever little rig you've got going there.

PS: Keep an eye on the drill motors; they are gonna heat up very quickly.