penn 209

Started by alantani, December 28, 2009, 01:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

there is a white nylon idler gear that is designed to break first.  people get their fingers caught.  you want that gear to break before you finger does. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cajun

Hello,
Thanks for the response; yes, I'm talking about #5 on the schematic; it's very light weight and grey in color like a hard plastic; #13, pinion gear is very evident that it is brass or bronze; now, keep in mind that this reel is at least 30-40 years old. Could it be this was what was used "back in the day"?

Another question: I've always used Garcia Ambassadeurs fishing on the Texas coastal bays - red fish, specks, flounders - and was wondering what fishing this reel would be good for and what type of rod it should be mounted on?
I'm not familiar with this reel and don't want to get rid of it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks a bunch.

Norcal Pescador

The main gear should be bronze, but I suppose it could be something else. Using a sharp pick or something like it, try to scratch the gear to see if shiny metal shows through. That will be the best test. If you do replace the main gear, you should also replace the pinion at the same time. A new gear used against a worn gear will soon take the "imprint" of the worn gear.
I wish I could help you with the question of whether this reel is suitable for your targeted fish, but I'm on the wrong coast. :-\
If you can afford to, keep the reel. You'll find a use for it, even if it's pulling up baitfish. ;)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Irish Jigger

This gear may have been nickel plated giving it a grey appearance. It is certainlly not nylon. Akfish may be able to throw some light on this subject as he has a lot of experience with these reels. ;)

Ken_D

Hi.... I'm a long ways from being an "expert" on the older Penn lineup, but I do know that most of the earlier ones I've dealt with use a ferrous metal alloy for the main and the pinion both. Later versions used a cupric alloy for the main, and a ferrous pinion. Bronze = copper and tin. Brass = copper and zinc.

springwell

A very nice little reel and cheap to buy. I regularly use a 209MLH for beachcasting, all I've done is took the levelwind off and oiled the bushings with 20/50 engine oil, no need for mags. Easy to clean out the sand too.

It casts quite a distance, much to the surprise of those with me. OK its a slow retrieve but on a sandy bottom that's ok and you can enjoy the fight with the fish just that little bit longer.

Bill
There is a fine line between the angler and madness

usncporet

I sure needed this tutorial! Started re-assembling my first 209 and that dog spring was about to kick my butt! But, then.......... I remembered the great tutorials here and woohoo, no more problems! Thanks Alan!! :)

alantani

Joel.B

WOW, this is the best resource I ever could have hoped for. FANTASTIC!!

edit: nvmnd, got it

Haifisch

Anyone know if you can use the new graphite drag washers with the old brass drag metal washers? I have been fixing a lot of 209s recently and wondered what to do with the growing stack of brass drag washers on the bench.

Keta

Yes you can, if they aren't grooved to bad, but SS ones will be better.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

basto

I have a Chinese made 309M that I bought new recently for $75AUD. I noticed the eccentric jack and the pinion yoke are made from stainless steel, unlike the 209 in this great tutorial.
I like the 2.8:1 gear ratio and am amazed at the size of the pinion gear in my 309.

I am going to spool it with 30lb mono and fish it without the levelwind. Should be a very interesting contrast to my other reels for bottom fishing.
I think these reels have loads of nostalgia and character.
I was pleasantly surprised that the 309 and the 209 are still being made.  
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

Hello Basto, I thought the 309 was a little faster. Is your pinion brass or ss?
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i noticed the same stainless steel parts in a chinese jigmaster.  they are coming out with better quality reels than the older american made ones. 

basto

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 22, 2013, 01:58:16 AM
Hello Basto, I thought the 309 was a little faster. Is your pinion brass or ss?
Sal
Hi Sal
I did the acid test and put a mark on the spool and wound the handle and found the gear ratio is actually 2.8 :1
On the box it says 2.8:1.  The manual says 3:1
It also says that the pinion is SS, but it looks like brass. It`s BIG. and I`m happy about the 2.8 gear ratio.

I don`t expect it will pull much drag and I will get a SS sleeve for it, but I love low gear ratios combined with tall spools.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n