penn 209

Started by alantani, December 28, 2009, 01:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cottonmouth

I was diving a wreck off Pensacola this past week and found a Penn Peer 309 rig at 90'.  Looked like it had been down there maybe two days-- very little corrosion.  I soaked it in freshwater overnight and everything seems smooth.  I wanted some advice on cleaning this reel.  I thought maybe some CLR and scotchbrite, or maybe even the vinegar and dishwasher trick mentioned earlier in the thread. After cleaning I thought I'd break it down and see how the guts look. What should I use to clean, lube, and protect the gears and drag?

Norcal Pescador

If it's not corroded you can take your pick of cleaning methods. Alan's dishwasher trick requires about 100 cycles to make it clean. ;D ::)  Simple Green, CLR, brake / carburetor cleaner (on the metal only), WD-40 will all work. I like using Gel Gloss or auto polish on the sideplates, Brasso or chrome polish on the brass / chrome parts, and brake cleaner on the innards. Any method requires some elbow grease. I don't like using lubes on "plastic" sideplates.

For lubing, my standard is Cal's on the drag washers, ReelX on bearings, bushings and the gear sleeve post, and a VERY light coat (just enough to leave a fingerprint on) of Yamaha Marine Grease on all other internal metal parts.

Everyone has their favorite methods; this is what I do.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Cone

Welcome, cottonmouth. I live in P-cola. PM me your contact info and I'll take a look at it for you. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

cottonmouth

Thanks for the replies.  This is a great site.  Think I'll just clean it up with WD40.

I was only in Pensacola for the weekend.  I live in New Orleans.

Traccer

wd40 is good to get rid of water.. not for any sort of lube.. in face it will try out your plastics so be very careful with it.. Check out PB blaster.. good for cleaning and lube..

Tate

Guys,

Great site!  I just found it a week ago by necessity when I needed to take my Senator 9/0 apart and get it back together.  I ordered ht-100 drag washers for my 209's, 309, and jigmasters 500's.  I figured I would work on these before hitting my other Senators.  I got the bug bad here,  I even bought a 309 off  EBay for $5 for a restore project.  Anyway, I realize the more I read the fiber washer under the main gear needs to be replaced also.   Just want to confirm this is the right part for the 209 and 309.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-309.aspx

I believe based on what I read on this post it is also the part I need for the jigmasters.  
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0

Is that right?

I think the stainless steel gear sleeves are next on my list.

Thanks

Tate

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Cone

I normally order an extra washer the same size as used in the reel for under the gear. For the 209 it would be a 6-155 or a 6-309 for a 309. HTH Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Tate

Thanks Cone!   I have it figured out now.  Appreciate the feedback.  I have learned quite a bit from you guys.  I'm working on 10 reels now.   I was surprised to see some of my reels already have ht-100 washers.  They still just have the regular fiber washer under the main gear though.  My 9/0 is old with the outside felt washer  that i am getting rid of per board advice.

Dynamo

"in face it will try out your plastics so be very careful with it."

It does what to plastics? I assume you mean dry? I use It for cleaning out my Senators, I wipe off most of the excess, but what's wrong w. WD-40?

Bunnlevel Sharker

WD-40 wil eat away plastic, and it turns to varnish. It works for cleaning parts. By themselves, get a gallon jug and pour a little in a metal bowl
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Good grief, that sucks. Thanks for letting me know. :-\

newbee

ok, so i have a couple of 209's and 109's i recently purchased, great deal about 50 bucks a piece including rod. one of which is a custom rod and the other a st. croix viking rod, which from the research i did, it is a very good quality rod. anyway, one of the reels' worm would not move at all so i followed your instructions and i took it apart (somewhat since i don't have all the proper tools to follow all your steps) and i figured out that one of the parts was broken inclduing the pinion gear and the worm gear. It seems that every time i spin the handle it doesn't grab the gear correctly, i think. First thing i'm going to do is get the proper tools to be able to take everything apart and i will post pictures but, based on what i've explained so far, does my assessment sound right?

Cone

Welcome newbee! The plastic lawyer gear is probably missing a tooth or two. They are designed to strip if someone gets a finger in there.  ??? Let us know if we can help.  Bob

newbee

umm, what happens if the side plate cracks on the 209? does that mean i have to replace it? you can't really see it once the screws are tightened but i made the "newbee" mistake of over tightening.  >:( Rick

alantani

right or left?  we can all check to see if there is an extra floating around somewhere.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!