penn 209

Started by alantani, December 28, 2009, 01:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbee

right plate, where the handle is. I think it wasn't lined up all the way when i tried to tighten the screws back in so i heard a cracking noise. thanks guys.

foakes

Hi newbee --

Yes, you are right about over-tightening the screws when assembling.  On the Penn 9 series reels I generally keep all screws 1/2 to 1 turn back from tight when assembling -- since everything needs to mesh together in 1 sequence at the end.  This includes the worm spiral gear, worm gear shield with 4 holes to attach to, upper slotted line guide post, leave the bottom front post off until the pawl and pawl cap are installed last.  

When everything is aligned and rotating smoothly, and the bottom front post is installed -- I just take both sides of the reel in each hand, and wiggle it back and forth -- this helps to align all of the various moving parts.

Lastly, I hand tighten the screws just snug -- not over tight -- no need -- snug is perfect.

You probably have this all figured out already -- but for others who may not know...

Do you need the white plastic idler gear?  If it has any teeth missing, you do need to replace it.  It is designed to be the cheap fail point or weak link in the drive/LW system.

And is the right handle side-plate you need -- black, maroon, red, or brown?
 Could be green -- but those are rare.

Let us know if we can help -- Thanks...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

newbee

Thanks Fred. Yes i do need the white gear since it is missing teeth, I believe that's the problem. The plate is red but my question is, is it absolutely necessary to replace it?

Thanks,
Rick

Keta

Quote from: newbee on January 13, 2015, 03:43:16 PM....is it absolutely necessary to replace it?

Yes it is.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

newbee

actually, now that i'm looking at it a little better, the side plate might be maroon. Does anybody know where i can get the pin punch from and the wrench to take the handle off of the side plate? does home depot have these? thanks again.

sorry for all the questions, as you can tell i'm really new at this.

also, as i mentioned before, i happened to purchase a total of 2 109's, 3 209's and 2 brand new 309's, and a 155 on a 12' ugly stick.
one of the 209 i purchased (used in a garage sale) would not cast or maybe i don't know how to cast it. my first cast (in my driveway) turned into a horrible birds nest, so when i finally cleaned up my mess, i tried casting again and it wouldn't go anywhere. does anybody have a tutorial anybody has used in the past to learn how to cast these? or am i just not good at this? or is something wrong with the reel?

thanks,

Rick

foakes

Hi Rick --

The Penn "9"s are not really for casting -- and will not do that very well.  They are for trolling with lead-core or mono, boat or pier fishing, etc.

Pictured are the 2 colored side-plates.  Take your pick.

64-209 idler gear also.

I will send you a Penn wrench that will fit each of your reels.

You will need a 1/16" pin punch to remove the gear sleeve for servicing.  I get mine from Sears (Craftsman) -- since every time I bend or break one -- they just hand me another brand new one over the counter.  Lifetime Guarantee.

If the crack is not too bad or in a critical area -- you may get by -- but I would not recommend that.  They are not glueable or repairable.

Let me know if you need these, and PM me your mailing information, name, phone number, and direct email.

I will send you what you need -- you can just reimburse the postage after you receive the parts.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

newbee

Thanks a lot Fred. You have no idea how glad I am to have found this site. I would probably have given up on trying to figure out these reels if it wasn't for the quick responses from everyone. That's what i will try next, pier fishing. Although i love my Lews and Shimano curado baitcasting reels, i would love to get to know these reels a little better and fish with them as often as i fish with baitcasters.

The tutorials on here are amazing, not to mention how active everyone is on here and the quick responses.

thanks,

Rick

El Pescador

Quote from: foakes on January 13, 2015, 04:34:21 PM

You will need a 1/16" pin punch to remove the gear sleeve for servicing.  I get mine from Sears (Craftsman) -- since every time I bend or break one -- they just hand me another brand new one over the counter.  Lifetime Guarantee.

Fred!

That's why you are allowed to work on reels, YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!! ;D

This last summer I removed all the interior doors in our home to have the floors resanded, stained and sealed, and getting the pins out of the hinges, I used (bent) 2 DASCO 3/16" pin punches (thanks Home Depot)!  The hinges came with an adhesive to prevent and door hinges from squeaking or moving if the door was not hung correctly.  So, after removing all the doors pins, I cleaned up each hinge, with adhesive remover and used, what else, Yamaha Blue Marine grease to lube each set, and now they work perfectly.

Knowing the Sears Craftsmen tool warrantee, It would have saved me $$, time and frustration.

Thanks for the tip!  You staying warm up there on your side of the mountain???

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

Hey, Wayne --

Now...if that Tsunami ever hits your house -- your door hinges will be operating smoothly -- since the Yamaha Marine Grade grease resists saltwater very well.

Way too warm up here, Wayne.  Walked 3 miles with Sue this morning at 05:00 -- 35 degrees!  Should be in the mid teens this time of year.  Sun is bright -- blue skies -- no breeze -- no snow -- warmed up to 41 in the shade.

I could have kicked my uncle -- he had an old Craftsman 3/8" ratchet driver from the mid 40s.  Looked really antique and neat.  After 70+ years, the ratchet started to slip a little under a load.  So he takes it down to Sears, and is so happy since they gave him a brand new ratchet.  I guarantee, that old antique ratchet they took back did not go in the scrap bin...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

bluefish69

Fred

It's warmer by you then here. At 11PM by J.F.K. Airport it's 17* going down to 15* or less where I live. It might hit 8* tonight.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

It got down to 3 degrees last week. lots of single digit temps. Its in the 20's now and its a relief compared to last week. Come on May! ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

We are suffering through a cold spell here in HI as well.  Several records were broke last week.  Down to the mid to upper 50s at night.  This combined with the high levels of VOG from the active volcano are makimg folks sick.  Fish are still biting though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

bluefish69

The only 2 things that the Law says we can catch this time of year is Ling[Red Hake] & Icebergs.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

mike1010

Yesterday I went through my son's 9M.  It is different from the 209 in some details, so I hope these pictures and notes are helpful.

When I picked the reel up to work on, it felt dry, which I expected.  But then I felt something rattling around in the mechanism.  When I pulled the spool out of the frame, this fellow dropped onto the bench:

That turns out to be the click spring screw, absent here.  Note the plastic click spring.Scott's shows that part discontinued, with a metal one available.  Next time I put together a Scott's order, that will be in it.

Click spring screw back in place.  The idler gear looks fine.

The chrome ring needs to come off to allow the stack to be removed as a unit.  It pried off easily using a narrow screwdriver at the edge of the head plate.

The dog spring is Surfmaster style rather than like the 209.  Except the Surfmaster doesn't have the nice metal fulcrum post for the spring.

The worm bushings are not really adjustable.  They just screw down into the plates, leaving about 3 mm of play in the worm.

Mike

Mic

That appears to be the same dog and dog spring as the 9 ? I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

That is a pretty reel. I'll bet somebody has gone through it and those changes were not from Penn.  Have you looked at the drag washer stack to see if it's been upgraded ?

Mic