Are faster Squidder gears possible?

Started by Joel.B, April 06, 2013, 04:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

I get it. I have the reel upgrade sickness too. The limitations of the Squidders have been well known for many decades and people are still chasing improvements and upgrades for them. I was just pointing out that the Newell 200 series were designed as upgraded Squidders as the 300 series are upgraded Jigmasters. After all, Newell (like Tiburon and Accurate) started making upgrades to those old Penns before he started making reels of his own. Of course, Newell is gone (Both Carl and the Company) and Penn is still making Squidders and Jigmasters so there you are.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

WTFOBaja

Well penn is not making squidders anymore but atleast i can still order new parts for one if i need them. Unlike newell. By the way i'm still in for a set of gears. Cheers

Doug

The squidder gear set is used on many different reels ,it sure would be nice to replace the  old steel gears with SS gears even at the same speed  Doug

Alto Mare

Quote from: Doug on December 03, 2014, 11:59:30 PM
The squidder gear set is used on many different reels ,it sure would be nice to replace the  old steel gears with SS gears even at the same speed  Doug
I agree!
I have a few that could use them

I have a few more in their boxes...love these little reels ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

otghoyt

I have one son that will take all the fishing trips I can afford to go on.  The other son...not so much.  With the help of all you fine folks here I pimped out all the old school Penn reels I own.  I only own 500s, 505s, 506s and 114s. Aaaand a Pro Gear Pacifica.  

All that aside I built a 146L on an older Cal Star for the son that doesn't care so much for fishin.  I didn't want him to feel left out donchano.  I Tib framed it, got a couple Accurate spools from A.T. (thanks), a 5 plate drag set-up, some nice bearings and a 2 hole crank handle from a 500.  

Damm if this isn't one of my favorite rides.  I always take it with me.  As long as we're getting 15 pound Yellowtails on day boats, I am bringing this rod/reel with me.  It casts a mile.  Holds a decent amount of 20 pound line.  Why not??

Here's why not....for jiggin it sucks with a 2.8 or 3.0 or whatever the retrieve rate is you just cannot rip a jig period!  Hook and chovi...yeah but that's only half the game.  What's neat about the Jigmasters and what really appeals to me is you can change from 30 to 40 pound line real quick and with all the stainless, 5:1 gears, 2x dogs and 5 plate drags, 50 pound line is not out of the question.  Who would have thought a reel could do so much.  

I agree with the other fella that said for the love of Penns and gettin more out of less.  When I was hotroddin cars forty years ago it was big engine, little car, go fast!  I still roll that way with my Penns!  I love gettin the looks when I out-cast guys with Avets!!!

Thinner teeth with stainless shouldn't be much of a problem.  Go to 440 if you're afraid of strength.  Everybody is chiming in for sets.  Let's get some speed for the Squidders.  Yeaaaaaah!

Once upon a time a man named Carl Newell had this idea........

mikeg24thst

I want 3 sets lets get some built!!!!!!!!!!!!

thorhammer

I thought I was "cured" of hot rodding when I moved away from the beach a couple years ago....then i fell into this wormhole you call a site last week and all of a sudden I'm looking at all my Penn's again and not liking chrome crossbars and little handles.....

any idea how I'll break to the wife that she's gotta sell her convertible? i'm gonna need about 50 Tibs.....

infish

I also would like to upgrade my Squidder 140. Lots of thought around this upgrade. My thought is to each his own. I like the speed for the way I fish, if I have a fast retrieve I can control the speed to my liking, but if the retrieve is slow I am limited. We can talk about strength, but lets be real I'm not hunting for Bluefin with a Squidder. For a 5+1 stack that gives you more control on your drag, even more if you use fine thread.
Now we get down to cost..... Lets face it, you put 125,000 into restoring your 1955 Chevy but you can only sell it for 100,000 a 25,000 loss. The point is, you built it to your spec had fun doing it learned a lot get to meet some pretty amazing people on this web site, Win Win don't ya think.
Stay Well My Friend.

Quit Wishing Go Fishing.

-Tony

mike1010

mikeysm

Maybe Its time to make a Sqidder Magnum. With jigmaster gears and custom spool. Also adding a mag brake. It would make a killer surf reel.

Mike

sdlehr

If it's not too late, I'd also be interested in a set of SS higher ratio gears for my Squidder.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

jurelometer

Re higher squidder gear ratios or squidder/ jigmaster hybrids (squidmaster),  check out this thread -

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16842.msg176263#msg176263

I think we covered most of it - plus  some news from Alan C.