Penn Senator II 113HLW

Started by FirePro911, May 02, 2013, 02:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FirePro911

Ok, I finished upgrading all my Abu Garcias.

I re-geared two 6600 C4 Azur Blues from 6:3:1 to 5:3:1, worm gear with dual bearings, ABEC5 ceramic bearings, Smoooth Drag Carbontex washers and polished everything inside and out. These two are for the Wife and I.

I added Ceramic Bearings, worm gears with dual bearings, Carbontex washers and polished everything inside and out on a 6000 and 6500 C3. About to finish up on a 7000 C3i and a 7000 early '80's model.

So today a buddy gave me this setup that has been laying around his shop. I have been readings a lot of threads the last few hours learning about it and what I can do to it. I have it all broken down, ready to clean, polish and upgrade.

It came on this rod.

Is there any way to date these reels?

Noticed the dog does not have a spring with it.

Someone at one point had added Carbontex washers to it.

From what I have read on here, I need to order the SS Gear Sleeve, SS Dogs w/Springs, SS Gears at 4:1, and New Carbontex washers. Thought about a new housing and handle, but I like the stock look of it.

Tomorrow I will clean everything and start polishing it all, getting it ready for the new parts. This setup will be for the bigger shark we go after as well as offshore.

alantani

another photo of the month!  can't wait to see the "after" shots.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

This reel dates back to the early 80s I believe because that is when I purchased one.

Yeah, you are missing a few parts.  HT-100s have been around for over 20 years, so that reel could have come with those drag washers.  Mine didn't have them though. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

FirePro911

Ok, now that parts on rolling in for this project, I have decided to go with an aluminum frame for it.

SS Dogs are in for the double dog setup from Lee. (Payment headed your way, Thanks!)
From Smoooth Drag, the Carbontex washers, Ceramic ABEC5 Bearings, Standard T-Bar Handle w/blank (Black Aluminum), and she is now sending the SS Yoke that was overlooked.
From eReplacementParts, Dog Springs, Penn Ringed Rod Clamp, Penn Clamp Screw kit and Penn Rod Clamp (in case I don't like the ringed one.)
Standing by for the Black Pearl Gears.

Also it seems I just realized I overlooked the SS Gear Sleeve, so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Has it been figured out yet if a bearing could be used with the Gear Sleeve to replace the two bushings on the side plate? Of if it is even worth it?

Now is the Tiburon and ACCU frames my only options?

Thanks!

RowdyW

Alan can send you a s/s sleeve & Jvariance can supply frames & side plates. He can be located on ebay. The bearings in the side plates are ball bearings.   Rudy

alantani

actually, before dumping alot of money into this reel, i would just clean it up and fish with it as is for a while.  i think you will find that it fishes just fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on May 11, 2013, 05:12:10 PM
actually, before dumping alot of money into this reel, i would just clean it up and fish with it as is for a while.  i think you will find that it fishes just fine. 
True! the only thing that I want to point out is that if you fish that reel hard, your stand might not hold up. The stand is weak on the wide models, I purchased 4 wide reels like yours from a guy a year ago at a very good price, all had bent stands
My suggestion to you is to go for it! Double dog that baby and everything else, you only live once ;)
Sal

Rudy, I take it that you've purchased some plates from Jeff (JVariance). Let me know if you're able to pull the right side bearing for service.
Thanks! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Sal , I just fill the cavity in the side plates with 321 & let them sit for a while then assemble. No problems yet. They just keep going, & going & going...............  ;D  Reminds me of a certain little bunny. The oldest one I have is only 3 years old & I don't see it having any problems for quite a while. You could always make a small puller & heat the plate in the oven & then chill the bearing quickly with freon or try that new stuff for heating & cooling screws , then try the puller. Or if it gets really drastic you could always drill a hole from the outside & punch it out & than tap the hole for a plug. But thats an absolute last resort. I'm not worried about it yet.    Rudy

Alto Mare

Tried all mentioned above except the hole on the plate, nothing worked for me. My JVariance plate was brand new, no corrosion. I had to know if I could pull that bearing. After many attempts, I sent the plate to Aaron (reel speed), he was able to do it using his tools, but it wasn't easy. He told me that he had never seen anything like that. That bearing is crazy tight.

Sorry, back to your post FirePro911.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

FirePro911

In to deep with it already Alan. lol!

How do I get the SS Gear Sleeve? Are they in the For Sale forum?

Rudy, I see the side plates he has already have bearings in them, but was wondering about putting bearings in my side plate.

RowdyW

Your side plates already have ball bearings in them. If you think that they are no good you can get new ones from MysticParts (Mystic Reel Parts). Or remove them from their cups after removing them from your plates & you could contact Boca Bearing in Boca Raton, FL. The standard ones from Penn are great & last a long time. To get parts from Alan just PM him for the sleeve & with your address & he will send it out with a bill.     Rudy

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

FirePro911

I already have the ceramic bearings for both side plates. The question is about a possible bearing for the SS Gear Sleeve where it connects to the handle. Where the two arrows are in the picture.

Bryan Young

That's possible. What is the id I the hole and the of of the great sleeve?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

basto

I bought an older all post framed 113h and a later half frame model. I came to realise that you get the aluminium spool, the
ht100 drag and of course the half frame with the later model.
All that is needed for these later models, in my humble opinion, is a stainless gear sleeve. So I agree with Alan.
Having said that, I do like the new topless Tiburon frames. 
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Ron Jones

Fom what I read on here, the graphite frames are fine up to about 20 pounds or so of drag and then they start to fail. 20 pounds will fish 80 pound line and catch some awfully big/strong fish. Your 4/0 Special Senator rod is a winner also. Get that rig together with a spool full of 80 pound spectra and a top shot of your choice and you can fish 90% of the fish in the ocean.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"