Penn Fathom master 620

Started by willybendit, June 13, 2013, 09:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willybendit

ive just bought a Penn fathom master 620 from a car boot sale there`s no wire on it or the release clips  is it best to spool it up with braid instead of wire  if so what`s the best breaking strain to use  100lbs or 200lbs ive just spent the best part of 3 hours stripping it down and making sure all the screws and adjusters are free from corrosion  its fitted with a 4ft boom is this the best one to have or should i try and get the shorter 2ft one  i dont want to cut this one down just in case i need the extra length   is it best to have it set up over the gunnel  or over the stern   regards Alain

Bryan Young

Braid is better.  It'll last longer as SS does rust and braid doesnt.  I personally like longer booms, so I would keep it...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

willybendit

Hi Bryan   good to hear from you   what lbs braid would you Recommend

Bryan Young

I'd say it depends. 100# should be enough.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I like my riggers on the gunnel hanging out the side. Gives you a wider spread and is great as a "poor man's outrigger."

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"