how much money should you spend?

Started by alantani, June 16, 2013, 04:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

you can spend ALOT of money hotrodding these reels.  at some point, you HAVE to stop.  but where?  when?  it's really a matter of personal choice, and your bank roll.  i guess it's just the older guys like us that appreciate the old school penns.  lots of stuff to go through, so here goes. 

carbontex drags - smoothdrag.com has a nice drag washer that goes under the main gear of the 4/0 senator 113h's.  they also have another that goes under the main gear of the black 113, the black and red 112's, and the jigmaster 500's.  it's a good upgrade.  you can send an e-mail to dawn at smoothdrag.com and order some if you need them right away.  i have some but  most of them are already in kits.  i only have a few loose ones. 
http://smoothdrag.com/

bryan young's jigmaster 5 stack drag kit - check with bryan for availability.  it looks like these will work well on the jigmasters and 3/0 penn 112h's.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7525.0

stainless steel gear sleeves - i've got a bunch.  for the jigmaster 500's and 3/0 senator 112h's, they are a great upgrade. 
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=157.0
for the 113h and 114h, they are nice but not absolutely essential.  i am now putting together "kits" with the stainless gear sleeve, a stainless retaining pin, a drag washer to go under the main gear, and one of keta's stainless steel dogs.  the kit is $5 more than the price of the gear sleeve alone.  shipping is $2. 

stainless steel dogs - these are from lee putnam, aka "keta" on our board.  i have a pretty good inventory of these, and lee also sells direct.
http://alantani.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1583

penn ht 100 drags - they work fine.  if you get enough drag from them, leave well enough alone.  don't spend money if you don't have to. 

stainless steel main and pinion gears - these are the cat's meow!  check them out.   http://alantani.com/index.php?board=52.0

tib frames - i bought a whole bunch a couple of years ago and they have been sitting since.  only sold maybe half.  the price is sort of mid way between wholesale and retail.  i have to add 20% to the wholesale price to cover tax and shipping.  the exact price depends on whether i do the math in my head or if i have a calculator available.  if i didn't care about price, i'd put tib frames on all of my penns, but that's just me.  mostly, i don't want guys spending money if you don't really need to. 

handle grips - http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7325.0

ok, so where are we? 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Don't forget crank arms. Their are several on here so do a search. They make the reel much more enjoyable. I actually would rather have an extended arm before a large handle.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Don't forget Cal's grease. IMO a must have.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Joel.B

does not take long to have over $175 into a Jigmaster- in just upgrades....

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on June 16, 2013, 05:09:49 PM
Don't forget crank arms. Their are several on here so do a search. They make the reel much more enjoyable. I actually would rather have an extended arm before a large handle.
Ron

I have longer and slimmer SS arms being cut now too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Quote from: Keta on June 18, 2013, 01:56:10 AM
Quote from: noyb72 on June 16, 2013, 05:09:49 PM
Ron

I have longer and slimmer SS arms being cut now too.

Come on Lee, I'll never be able to buy all the goodies you make.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

heckrazr

I did this all...(except the ss main and pinion gears) to a Squidder....not sure what I have into it yet but.....hey, it's only money right?
Maui is where the heart and soul belong.....very soon

johndtuttle

What you gain from doing these upgrades is more than "performance" or bling.

What you gain is an understanding of your tools and how they work. You get a look inside the "black box" that a reel is to most people and feel like you have made something nearly yourself or at least uniquely yours.

Carl Newell probably went on the same journey and in many ways we are "rediscovering" his process. Look at his "unified bridge" and his lightweight spools, frame/gear upgrades etc and we see nearly every inconvenience or peccadillo of the original simple designs addressed in some way.

It's tinkering and exploration and understanding gained and it's a fun way to "go fishing" in our heads when we are chained to land. :)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

I need to ease up on the fishing trips in my head. :P They cost me as much as really going! ;D
Life is Good!

maxpowers

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 27, 2014, 08:57:50 PM
I need to ease up on the fishing trips in my head. :P They cost me as much as really going! ;D

But you are hooking into monsters on everyone of those trips.. ;D

OT I have a conceptual idea to build a contraption that can act like a fish.  Hook you line to it and the contraption pulled and give like a real fish with variable drag capability.  Would be a great way to dynamically test your drag system.  Some form of hydraulic system would be ideal.  Kinda like those stationary bike and elliptical machine that varies a program resistance work out.

Tightlines667

They have a simulated big game virtual reality machine/game at the IGFA museum hall of fame in Saint Pete, FL., but I don't think it actually pulls line off of the reel.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

maxpowers

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 28, 2014, 01:09:40 AM
They have a simulated big game virtual reality machine/game at the IGFA museum hall of fame in Saint Pete, FL., but I don't think it actually pulls line off of the reel.

The reason I would like something like this is for several reason:

1.  It give you a fairly nice way to test your drag system as more line is dumped on it, etc..

2.  It give both rod maker and angler a realistic view of the amount of force exerted on an angler at certain drag level as compare to the rod capability.  I would bet that many people would be surprised how much 10 lbs of drag on the fish end is actually felt by the angler.

3.  It would be really fun, especially if the system can integrate with a virtual game.  Bring your rods and reels and test/ play it.

Shark Hunter

I just use my son's dog! She is pretty powerful when trying to get at a hot dog! :P
Life is Good!

otghoyt

I am disabled and have 2 sons.  I do not have much spare money.  I need my gear to be the most diverse as possible.  I have 7 rigs total but with quick change spools on 6 of them I essentially have 13 rigs.  I have 2 stuffed completely full of stainless steel and capable of handling short stints with 50# line so there's a total of 15 complete, reliable fishing poles/reels.  All customized through and by all the help and parts I have obtained here at Alan's web site

I do not own a new pole.  I made one the winter before last when I recuperated from major back surgery.  I do not own a new reel.  Every single one was second hand and beefed up on my kitchen table.  I will never catch my bucket list fish but I am very content and very blessed.

How much do you spend is certainly up to the individual.  I love to fish.  I love to share whatever I have weather it be items or knowledge or time.  I have found the same sort of folks here at ATs reel repair site.  A couple guys even gave me 2 fishing reels and I added a pole and parts to give away through the Take a Kid Fishing movement and our local bait shop.  I put out the word and BAM!  I had immediate response by caring and sharing people.  How awesome is that!!!!  What is that worth?

Thank you all and may God bless......