TIP OF THE DAY

Started by Alto Mare, August 09, 2013, 12:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I bought these mesh holders from Amazon. They are 1 1/2" in size. As I'm taking a reel apart with tiny parts, springs, screws, that need to be cleaned these things work great. It's spring loaded so I open it and drop the parts in and it's closes itself. Very useful with small reels like bait casters.

One part that always goes in are the cast control knobs that are always dirty. I drop the mesh holder in the ultrasonic cleaner and let it do its thing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Marcq

Quote from: handi2 on April 15, 2016, 12:14:18 AM
I bought these mesh holders from Amazon. They are 1 1/2" in size. As I'm taking a reel apart with tiny parts, springs, screws, that need to be cleaned these things work great. It's spring loaded so I open it and drop the parts in and it's closes itself. Very useful with small reels like bait casters.

One part that always goes in are the cast control knobs that are always dirty. I drop the mesh holder in the ultrasonic cleaner and let it do its thing.
Good idea  8)

Marc..

Shark Hunter

Great Idea Keith. I need to get one of those cleaners.
Life is Good!

cbar45

HDPE (No. 2 recycling symbol) containers can be re-purposed as a bucket--for those of you who degrease reel parts using Simple Green or WD-40.

I use empty cat litter containers; simply lop the top off, drill two holes at each end, and attach a length of nylon cord for a handle.

Good idea to check HDPE's compatibility first, if using a stronger solvent.

Chad

bluefish69

The mesh balls are made for loose Tea. Ask the Wife she might have one already. I use them for spices when making soup, fill them & never have the spices floating in your soup again.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Great idea guys, you could clean parts and have soup at the same time ;D...good stuff!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Hmm, funny -- doesn't taste like Miso Soup.

I have used those for years for small parts in the US cleaner -- they are quick, efficient, and just rinse out with fresh water -- dump on a paper towel -- clean and done.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Not much of a machinist, but I'm always trying to find a better way to get things done.
partially removing threads on screws has been hard for me, I was using a file and drill press. I experimented with different speed and cutting oil, but still took a while.
Here I decided to use my drill press and a dremel, both spinning at the same time. The diamond coated wheel is only a couple of bucks and lasts for a while.
These usually take 20 seconds to do, it took me a little longer here because I was using one hand and taping with my cell.

I'll post it, just in case it might be interested to some.
Sorry, it's bouncing all over the place, not easy holding the tool and phone at the same time.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Really clever, Sal --

Good technique -- thanks for the video --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Great ideas keep showing up.  Wow, I have to read all 10 pages again.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

The master is a genius.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

foakes

This kind of a small thing --

But at least for me, useful...

Today is sorting and organizing a bunch of small Mitchell parts into envelopes -- day.

Wife came up to the shop and asked if I could use these jars -- they will be great for solvents, greases, soaking in mineral spirits, etc.

They are a type of bouillon substitute we use for a lunch with a sandwich or crackers.

Perfect size jars -- wide mouth -- 3.5" wide -- 3.75" tall -- good metal lid with a gasket.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

RowdyW

Fred, if they are glass you can run into a problem if you shake them a little with metal parts in them. Been there, done that, and had the bottoms fall out. What a mess. Plastic is better. The glass jars are better for storing screws, washers, & nuts. Screw the lid to the bottom of a shelf & screw the jar on. No lid to lose & easy to see what's in the jar.    Rudy