TIP OF THE DAY

Started by Alto Mare, August 09, 2013, 12:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

Keep extra dog springs, and you can make the flat ones for black side senators out of razor blades, thats why the spring in my 9/0 is. Because...its a bird, its a plane, its a flying dog spring lol
Grayson Lanier

Alto Mare

Here is an easy way to remove a sleeve pin. No need to hold the punch on the pin while hitting it with a hammer, just to have it slip at times and scratch the sleeve. A little pressure is usually all that is needed, place the bridge on a towel, apply a little pressure and it will come right out.

The 1/16 punch is from $1 to $4, depending on brand, the Nicholson type C handle is $.99 both at any home centers.
No gluing needed, just press it in and you're set.
Thanks again for the punch Harry ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

harryk3616

sal     my   pleasure, glad it will be useful for you.    harry

harryk3616

sal      i think that is a fantastic idea   '' tip of the day  ''    alot of members come up with tricks of the trade that we all can benefit from, great idea. harryk

broschro

Quote from: harryk3616 on September 29, 2013, 02:45:56 PM
sal      i think that is a fantastic idea   '' tip of the day  ''    alot of members come up with tricks of the trade that we all can benefit from, great idea. harryk
x2\

Dynamo

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 29, 2013, 12:07:27 PM
Here is an easy way to remove a sleeve pin. No need to hold the punch on the pin while hitting it with a hammer, just to have it slip at times and scratch the sleeve. A little pressure is usually all that is needed, place the bridge on a towel, apply a little pressure and it will come right out.

The 1/16 punch is from $1 to $4, depending on brand, the Nicholson type C handle is $.99 both at any home centers.
No gluing needed, just press it in and you're set.
Thanks again for the punch Harry ;).
Sal
Nice info! The sleeve pin on my 12/0 was really stiff. I had to help the punch with a hammer. I didn't like doing that but at least I didn't scratch up the sleeve too bad.......

You could also try resting the sleeve on a piece of PVC will help with removing the pin with no damage

Dynamo

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on August 10, 2013, 04:05:02 AM
Keep extra dog springs, and you can make the flat ones for black side senators out of razor blades, thats why the spring in my 9/0 is. Because...its a bird, its a plane, its a flying dog spring lol
Razor blades, I like that. How springy is it compared to the origanal? What blades do you use?

Bunnlevel Sharker

So much better than brass, just an old one I was gonna toss. I save the heads from em now
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

well great idea, Ill have to try that! I seem to wear out my dog springs fast, so I could save some money!

Bunnlevel Sharker

The SS razor blades just need the edge knocked down, and they kinda have a nice crisp zing to em
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dynamo on September 30, 2013, 03:15:40 AM
well great idea, Ill have to try that! I seem to wear out my dog springs fast, so I could save some money!
Bryan might have some custom stainless steel dog springs...... Bryan, if you do, I need some more.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Dynamo

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 30, 2013, 04:03:51 AM
Quote from: Dynamo on September 30, 2013, 03:15:40 AM
Bryan might have some custom stainless steel dog springs...... Bryan, if you do, I need some more.
Ooh, nice.

philaroman

Here's a neat trick for service/repair without schematics:

as you take the reel apart, use empty egg-crates to put parts in consecutive compartments (you can even number them w/ a marker); take digital photos along the way; and reassemble in reverse order. If you choose correct critical moments & angles for the photos, it works better than any schematic. Best of all -- NO "EXTRA" PARTS left over!!!  you get to an egg-hole -- you MUST figure out where the part(s) go(es), before you proceed!!!

NOTE: cardboard egg-crates are best -- some lubes/solvents dissolve Styrofoam