TIP OF THE DAY

Started by Alto Mare, August 09, 2013, 12:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryk3616

great idea for keeping parts in order,  sal  (alto  mare )  had a great idea starting this tip of the day .  thanks  sal,    harryk

Alto Mare

Yes Philaroman, great idea.

Thanks Harry!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Have you ever tried sanding a flat part on a piece of sandpaper?... Try this:

Fold a piece of tape and stick the part on a piece of scrap wood.
I use 600 ultra fine no-slip backing sandpaper, a small cutting board...make sure the wife isn't looking ;D and some Scotch 3M  tape, the white is really sticky.
Great on washers, just don't do a circular motion, I've noticed it's best to slide up and down in a straight line.

Enjoy!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bunnlevel Sharker

When your putting a reel seat on and you remembered to tape the fore grip, don't forget to tape up the top of the seat to! :o don't ask me how I know
Grayson Lanier

wallacewt

keeping alloy from going dull
after you get alloy nice and clean (fine grit)
wash over with kerosene and it will maintain its lustre.
kero goes into the pores. of the alloy
after awhile to bring it back up wipe over again with kero/rag.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Always grese your reel seat! Just went throught this one
Grayson Lanier

Cone

This one may help with the new hex gears. To make a template for the drag washers, take a marker, or use layout fluid to color the top of the gear. Lay the gear flat colored side down on a flat bed scanner. Scan and print the image to a piece of card stock. Cut out the inside and you have a template to cut the outside of the drag washers with.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

BMITCH

Allen head screws tend to round off. I use torx bits to remove these. They seem too "bite" better and don't tend too strip out.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Very good guys, keep them coming ;).
Southern Bob, very good tip on cutting the washers, I will use my flour that I've mentioned earlier for making pizza ;D.
I just want to add that those will need to be cut very snug, the angles on the gears are not as sharp as I would have liked them, but that was the machinist limitations....I'm still glad he was willing and able to do these for us.
I will be testing those on a reel that I'm putting together for a friend and yes, I did get mine before you did :P ;D.
we shall see how they hold up.
Sal

Shark Hunter

We see who's really getting the "special treatment!" ;)
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Looking forward to seeing the old bucket and brick test. BE SAFE!! ;D

DaBigOno

I'm learning a lot from you guys, thanks a million!

Sometimes i can't seem to remove some of the screws for the cross posts without them turning while i try to unscrew them like the one in the picture below.

so i have to use pliers to hold them.  To prevent my pliers from damaging the chroming, i cut a couple of pieces of vacuum hoses to wrap over the jaws of the pliers.

Once i get those crusty screws out, i like to soak them with PB Blaster in packages sorted by reels like this.

because it comes out clean and shiny.

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

harryk3616

hose on the tip of the pliers, great, why didn't i think of that, nice going, we all are going to benefit from that tip.   harryk

Alto Mare

Good stuff Dabigono, thanks for sharing. I usually spend $3 on pliers jaws protectors and they don't last very long., I could see yours lasting. You could keep that PB blaster though, that stuff is nasty ....but it gets the job done.
Sal

DaBigOno

Sal,

you're definitely right about the PB Blaster, it is some nasty stuff which leads us to the next "tip of the day".

Most of us would agree that we work with toxic chemicals, whether it be PB Blaster or even Cal's drag grease, or TSI lubricant, or even WD40. 

I would highly recommend these -

Because we work with toxic chemicals, we should wear "RUBBERS". 

I know, I know, nobody likes using rubbers because it doesn't feel 'natural'.  But my dad always said that it helps to prevent things that we don't want to happen from happening.

Rubbers can help to prevent toxic chemical absorption through the skin.

I hope all of us are practicing safe "reel maintenance".

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono