Thanks, I am now officially a reel nut

Started by Ward, September 23, 2013, 01:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward

My brother just bought an older Daiwa Sealing 175H off eBay which he brought over to the house within minutes of unpacking it.  It was a little dirty and couldn't muster drag.  It was easy to stop the spool with my thumb while cranking the reel with the star drag tightened down to the max.

Well, I've taken apart some Daiwa reels before but not this model.  Thanks to taking apart lots of reels before and the tutorials on this board, it appears I might have learned something.  I had the reel apart in a minute, began cleaning corrosion and old grease from the insides and pulled apart the drag stack.  It had the old style hard drag washers and I had nothing in the parts bin that came close to fitting.  I polished all the metal washers becaue some were stuck to the dry fiber washers and noticed the washer under the main gear was pretty thin.  Out came a carbon fiber washer for a Penn and the Dremel with a burr to enlarge the center hole.  A couple tries and it looked pretty good and fit.  Greased up the carbon fiber washer and began reassembly.  There's lots of stainless steel in this reel including the anti reverse dog and everything went together pretty well on the first try.  The drag is pretty smooth now and we were able to get a little over 15# drag which is a bit more than this reel will ever need.

So, thank you all, especially Alan.  I've learned a bit and feel a lot more comfortable taking apart a reel I've not seen before.  My brother has a functional backup reel for a total investment of $25 and a little of my time.  I was almost ready to start taking pictures and doing a tutorial but my confidence isn't quite that high.

Bryan Young

Ward, so glad you have ya join us and you're becoming a real pro. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Frank

Caution Ward, it's very addictive. I fear that someday my family is going to feature me on that Hoarders TV series.  ;D

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

alantani

the problem now is that he's going to start bringing more reels.  he at least brought you beer, right?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dynamo