New guy from FL

Started by Settin_hooks, October 11, 2013, 08:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Settin_hooks

Thanks again everyone, glad to be here!  I'm looking forward to learning as much as possible. I appreciate the help bill, I can use all the tips I can get :)  So do you guys think I'm over doing it, oiling every other trip like I explained in my last post?  Do any of you have any experience with reelx for oil.  I know Alan likes the corrosionx I believe it's called. 

Bryan Young

ReelX is a thinner version of CorrosionX.  Just doen't last as long.

Just don't put too much ReexX.  It's possible that the excess oils may contaminate the drag system and the drags will not be as effective.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Settin_hooks

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 14, 2013, 04:39:01 PM

Just don't put too much ReexX.  It's possible that the excess oils may contaminate the drag system and the drags will not be as effective.
Thanks Bryan!  Say I fish 1-2 times a week how often should I apply reelx to the bearings.  I am only putting a drop at a time.  Sorry for the newb question I guess I'm just wondering a general idea, I've read all types of different opinions.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Settin_hooks on October 15, 2013, 12:32:05 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on October 14, 2013, 04:39:01 PM

Thanks Bryan!  Say I fish 1-2 times a week how often should I apply reelx to the bearings.  I am only putting a drop at a time.  Sorry for the newb question I guess I'm just wondering a general idea, I've read all types of different opinions.
I would say, add a drop, and wipe off the excess then you will be good...as long as you wipe off the excess.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Settin_hooks

Cone

Welcome from the panhandle! Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Settin_hooks

So I broke down my Shimano sahara 2500, "the one dropped in the saltwater."  I found the line roller bearing was pretty bad.  Soaked it in acetone blew out with compressor and oiled and spun bearing multiple times.  It seemed like it was noticeably better but when tension is applied to the line it has a grinding/or rubbing noise and I'm not sure where it's coming from.  I've followed the schematic and wiped access oil off bearings.  Also soaked all parts in hot water and wiped everything down, then re greased metal parts and oiled bearings??  Any idea where I could look closer.  I'm learning a lot about this reel but I'm at a stand still with this.

Dynamo

My little shimanos seem vulnerable to sand as well. One of my setups was taken into the water and dragged silt into by a nice Red. Cleaned it out, but its never been the same. . . . My guess would be fine particles of silt, dirt, or sand.

Settin_hooks

Good point, The weird thing is it reels smooth until pressure is applied.  Then today when I brought it out as a backup it seemed to be working pretty well, with the exception of a few moments when a little more pressure was applied and it started getting loud again. "If that makes sense."  I'm very new to breaking down these reels but am I wrong to assume it could be the drag system?  I oiled the drag washers which I think was the wrong thing to do, does this sound like it could cause this issue?  The line roller bearing was pretty bad but I think I managed to get that pretty clean.  Thanks for anyone that has any ideas!

Dynamo

Maybe the silt is inside the reel, but isn't felt until pressure forces parts together, and the little bit of sand, between the parts is easier detected? Greasing the drag system shouldn't be a problem, I'd just check to see if you're getting the same amount of drag pressure. The grease should reduce the heat buildup and protect against corrosion. What're you fishing for? Smaller Shimanos are awesome, in my experience. It should last you a long time, also considering the way you're treating it. Is the Sahara the model w. the double handle?

erikpowell

Quote from: Settin_hooks on October 18, 2013, 03:48:07 AM
So I broke down my Shimano sahara 2500, "the one dropped in the saltwater."  I found the line roller bearing was pretty bad.  Soaked it in acetone blew out with compressor and oiled and spun bearing multiple times.  It seemed like it was noticeably better but when tension is applied to the line it has a grinding/or rubbing noise and I'm not sure where it's coming from.  I've followed the schematic and wiped access oil off bearings.  Also soaked all parts in hot water and wiped everything down, then re greased metal parts and oiled bearings??  Any idea where I could look closer.  I'm learning a lot about this reel but I'm at a stand still with this.

Thought I'd chime in albeit a little late...
You know Jeff, my penn 650ssm spinner had an issue just like you describe.. bugged me (and the other guys on board) for a whole day.. and the reel was freshly serviced. the grinding and screeching sound was amplified through the reel and the entire boat could hear it.. it was annoying... one guy was telling me i need a new spool and shaft, the other guy said it was my drags. and it took me awhile to finally pin it down.

Well, it was the line roller bearings...and still is... as clean as I think i have those teeny things and as freely as they spin with a little air, when they get loaded they protest ! I swapped them from another reel and problem solved.. !
New ones are on their way from Scotts at $9.65ea

Hope this helps ya.