Shimano Cardiff 200 from SDtone !!!!!

Started by alantani, April 14, 2010, 10:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

copied with permission.  thanks,tony!!!!!!!

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/shimano/153515-shimano-cardiff-200-a.html

Quote from: SDtone;1416547This one of my favorite Spotted Bay Bass Reels, this reel is perfect for fishing 8 to 10 pound test line.
here the schematic.

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Round_Baitcasting/05CDF200A_v1_m56577569830641872.pdf

So let's begin by removing the handle nut plate plate screw #001 and handle nut #2417 by using a small phillips head screw driver and a 10mm socket.

Remove the friction washer #799, star drag #2472, star drag spacer #1289 and the two drag spring washers # 0015

Loosen the three right side plate bolts #1698 and pop off the right side plate assembly.

We now have the reel in three sections.

Let's start with the frame section. wipe off all the grease, corrosion, and salt build up (if any) Q-tips and a old tooth brush work really well for this. make sure to slide the clutch bar up and down to remove any gunk build up.

Carefully remove the bearing retainer #0032 and pull the left side bearing #0194.

Bearing size: OD 2.98mm ID 2.93mm W 3.97mm

Remove the two id plate screws #2497. off comes the right side plate. now we access to the worm shaft retainer clip #133.

Carefully remove the retainer clip.

Carefully remove the pawl cap #2504 small needle nose pliers work well for this.

Pull the line guide pawl #0042 I use a dental pick that I picked up at the kobey's swap meet (3 for five bucks)

Now we can slide out the worm shaft #2572 from the right side of the frame.

Use a Q-tip to clean out to clean out the level wind guard #2573, the line guide #2503 and brush off the worm shaft.

Apply a light coat of yamaha grease on to the worm shaft #2572

Pop the worm bushing (a) #2492 back into the right side of the frame .

Push the worm shaft #2572 back in through the right side of the frame.

Pop the worm bushing (b) #2505 back on the left side of the frame.

Replace the worm shaft retaining clip #133 on to the left side of the shaft.

You'll have to push the worm shaft up from the right side of the frame to raise the shaft.

Apply a light coat of yamaha grease to the frame and left side plate.

Replace the left side plate and the two id plate screws #2497.

Apply a light coat of yamaha grease on the line guide pawl #42 and place it back into the line guide #2503.

Make sure the guide pawl sits flush inside the line guide, hold you finger over the guide pawl and turn the worm shaft gear to see if it line up with the worm shaft.

Now we can replace the pawl cap #2504

Pop the left side plate bearing and the bearing retainer back into the left side plate and apply a light coat of yamaha grease on the right side of the frame
make sure you put some into the three bolt holes.

Now for the spool. Not much to do here, apply a light coat of yamaha grease to both sides of the spool and add a few drops of oil to the spool bearing #194.

If the bearing needs service or damage here's how to remove it.
Press out the retaining pin half way then pull it out with a (home made)
vise grip.

Here's the bearing size: OD 9.99mm ID 3.92mm W 3.97mm.

Ok now it's time for the right side plate.

Remove the two set plate screws #689 hold the two pieces together so that nothing falls out of place.

Here's a shot of the inside.

Pull the roller clutch tube #2774, remove the drive gear #1425, key washer #2477 and the anti reverse ratchet #2478 and clean every thing up.

Drag washer (a) #1214 size: OD 17.99mm ID 8.13 W 0.95

Drag washer (c) # 2567 OD 25.50mm ID 16.80mm W .99mm.

I was not able to uplode the width picture???

Apply a light coat of shimano drag grease to both washers.

Remove the pinion gear #1587, the two yoke springs #1133 and the yoke #248.

Clean everything up with a Q-tip and apply a light coat of shimano grease to the clutch cam retainer, clutch pawl and clutch plate.

Replace the yoke #2481, pinion gear #1587 and the two yoke springs #133.

Replace the anti-reverse pawl #2404 and the anti-reverse ratchet #2478.

Replace the drag washer (a) #1214 next the drive gear #1425 and the drag washer (c) #2567.

Replace the key washer #2477 and roller clutch inner tube #2474.

Apply a light coat of shimano drag grease.

Apply a light coat of of yamaha grease on the right side plate. add a couple drops of oil to the roller clutch bearing #2396 and the cast control bearing #194.

Cast control bearing size: OD 10.00mm ID 2.95mm W 3.99mm.

was not able to upload the ID pic. sorry.

Bring the right side plate and set plate housing #2571 together, line up the two set plate screws #689 and tighten it down.

Drop the spool back into the frame.

Push the clutch plate down into the free spool position and line it up with the frame, next tighten up the three right side plate bolts.

Okay were almost done, place the two spring washers #15 in this configuration (). next the star drag spacer #1289.

Replace the star drag #2472 and the friction washer #799.

And finally the handle and handle nut #2417.

Hope this tutorial helps you guys and gals. any question please post them or pm me.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

inhotpursuit

Great tutorial SD the cardiff is really underated add ceramic bearings and carbontex and you have a damn good reel, here's another tip, to add a bearing to the drive shaft instead of the plastic bushing you need a 5x8x2.5 flanged bearing carefully grind down the edge, then you will need to hone out the bearing well using a fine stone on a rotary tool be carefull you only need to remove the powdercoat, this improves the smoothness of the reel considerably.if any one would like a bearing pm me with your address i have a few spare ones and will mail one to you free.

Jayce

WOW !!! :o  now thats pure genius.

Hey Kenny any cool stuff for the conquest also ?
;D

wallacewt

inhotpursuit

Quote from: Jayce on December 11, 2011, 11:50:03 PM
WOW !!! :o  now thats pure genius.

Hey Kenny any cool stuff for the conquest also ?
;D
Not that you don't allready know Jayce, no bushings in the conquest  but a good polish of the drag and svs brake drum surfaces and ceramics makes them hard to beat

alantani

Jayce

Hi Kenny,

Will  the modified Flanged Bearing trick work on the newer calcuttas (100/101 sizes).
On the new calcuttas, on the schematics I noticed the plastic bushing thingy looks grooved to accommodate the worm gear cover.

inhotpursuit

Jayce the bushing is the same on the calcutta 100b and 101b it is notched to stop the bushing from spinning a wearing out on the outside of the bushing the inside is greased and protected from salt and dirt

billheng

so sorry for bring up this old post. I recently received a Cardiff 200A from my buddy who asked me to do a general servicing.

I've done everything but noticed that the clutch couldn't re-engage. I've checked and everything seems to be in place. Anyone can enlighten me? SHould i also post a pic with the clutch?

Thanks

alantani

any possibility that the ratchet gear under the main gear is in backwards?  :-\

Drisse

Hello ! I've got a Cardiff 300 from a friend. The metal ring inside the handle plate that surrounds the cast control seems to be loose. When you shake the reel you can hear how it moves. I've tried to reinstall it a couple of times, but still the same. Any ideas ?

Drisse

Anyone ? I've never teard apart a Cardiff before. Should the metalring be hard to take out from the plastic part ? Thisone fell out when you loose the handle plate.
Borrowed the picture from the tutorial above. Hope you dont mind ?

alantani

it's only for the brakes.  leave it out and push all the brakes in to lock them in place. 

Drisse

I don't get it  ??? I put the metalring where it should be. Then I install the spool. Finally I mount the handleplate and tighten the screws. But when I shake the reel you can hear how the metalring moves to and fro between the spool and handleplate.

alantani

it probably has to be epoxied in.  i would just leave it out.