alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial 320gti/320gt2/321gti
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 20, 2019, 04:26:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 320gti/320gt2/321gti  (Read 92393 times)
Ron Jones
Firearms Group

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 07:56:04 PM »

I've done the bridge screw trick a few times, only I learned to use two bolts longer than the factory bolts, that way you know you have enough thread to move the spool off the pinion.

Ron

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 08:18:48 PM »

yeah - it looks like no matter what I do, I've lost this reel for the season.  Seems like I've lost both for the season.  Worse things can happen, I suppose.  But this is how one ends up stocking reels.  Buy a new one, send 2 out for repair ... end up with 3.

A Fishing Reel Exchange ... that is what I need in NYC.  Bring in a used reel and exchange it for another, while the guy in the back fixes them, replenishing supply.

Ruben
Ruben:  If your reels are lost for the season, I can lend you a 320 LD until the season is over.  If you are interested I will be in Staten Island on June 1st or if you pay the shipping, I'll send it to you.  PM me if interested.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »

Looks like the spool shaft got rusted to the pinion gear - the common problem of the GTI series. In this case separate the geartrain assembly and spool as a whole. Then remove the handle, the drag star, the bridge screws and the decoupler lever screw which allow you to remove the handle side plate. After the handle side plate is removed you can remove the main gear and the other parts. You will be left with the spool assembly, bridge assembly and the pinion gear. Get a piece of small diameter brass pipe, slide it on the spool shaft against the pinion and whack the assembly a few times with a hammer to break free the pinion from the shaft. After the pinion is removed clean the shaft with a fine grit sandpaper.

I have no idea....

mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 07:11:11 PM »

yeah - it looks like no matter what I do, I've lost this reel for the season.  Seems like I've lost both for the season.  Worse things can happen, I suppose.  But this is how one ends up stocking reels.  Buy a new one, send 2 out for repair ... end up with 3.

A Fishing Reel Exchange ... that is what I need in NYC.  Bring in a used reel and exchange it for another, while the guy in the back fixes them, replenishing supply.

Ruben
Ruben:  If your reels are lost for the season, I can lend you a 320 LD until the season is over.  If you are interested I will be in Staten Island on June 1st or if you pay the shipping, I'll send it to you.  PM me if interested.  Dominick

Thank you so very much.  I have 2 - Penn 160's for backup and I've got a Shimano Charter special coming in as a birthday Present, so I think I'm set.  Its just sad to lose both of my mainstay reels at the same time.

zkidd91

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 01:27:33 PM »

Hi Alan,
Thanks for posting this tutorial. With it I was able to change out the drags on my 320 gti. The new ones were quite a bit thicker as you mentioned so i had to leave one out in order to button her back up.  I love this reel. Caught a #60 bft on it last tues so I can say personally that it has exceeded my expectations. I use it mainly for bottom fishing <400ft, which leads me to my question to you...

I find value in the level wind feature: Yesterday took it out and the level wind stopped working. It moved to the right side (crank side) of the reel and got stuck there...Perhaps it was my opening her up that provoked the issue (let sleeping dogs lay) but like mentioned earlier in this thread, it's a pretty common issue so here it is.

The worm shield appears to be worn. Perhaps from normal extensive use but definitely doesn't look symmetrical to the left side of the shield. Assuming replacing this would be needed.

One "tooth" of the pawl appears shorter than the other. Assuming replacing this would be needed.

I didn't really notice any distinct damage on this worm gear but also assuming that replacing this should be done, since I'll be replacing the pawl as well and my eyes aren't what they used to be so...

Before I order parts, If you or any of the kind readers could confirm my assumptions, that would be great.
In the meantime, i'm fishing it without the level-wind feature.

thanks,
-levi
san diego, ca
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 02:04:40 PM »

levi, at the very best, a .010" teflon dot can shim the pawl and take care of this.  at the very worst, you will need a dot and also have to replace everything.  send me an e-mail with your address and i will send out some dots.  if they work, you are done.  if not, contact mysticparts.com for a new levelwind assembly.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:57:58 AM by mizmo67 » Logged

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Tile

Romania

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 06:16:26 AM »

My advice is to replace the whole levelwind assembly on your reel.

In solid fiberglass we trust
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 06:59:39 AM »

that would work, but we might be able to save this guy $20.  i see no damage to the worm or pawl.  this teflon dot trick just might work!

Tile

Romania

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 11:53:41 AM »

Or replace the shield only. That part is badly mismachined.

In solid fiberglass we trust
zkidd91

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »

levi, at the very best, a .010" teflon dot can shim the pawl and take care of this.  at the very worst, you will need a dot and also have to replace everything.  send me an e-mail with your address and i will send out some dots.  if they work, you are done.  if not, contact mysticparts.com for a new levelwind assembly.  
Just got it in the mail. Thank you. You are a gentlemen and a scholar. Probably won't get to it for a week or so. Last week of vacation with the lil ones so we are out and about.

My advice is to replace the whole levelwind assembly on your reel.
Yessir. This is what Penn recommended as well....it will be fun to see if the dots work. We shall see.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:57:43 AM by mizmo67 » Logged
CaptKev

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 11:59:55 PM »

I've got 6 320gti's I'm rebuilding for a buddy. These have never been serviced and are in poor shape. The main and pinion gears were toasted so I bought what my local shop had on hand and some NOS off of Ebay. I'm guessing the newer overseas GT2 gears are not interchangeable with US made NOS? Lesson learned! On the 2 reels I've serviced, I can't get them back to factory smooth so I'm thinking the mains are toasted. I removed one to clean and lube. The other one I left in place and removed the shield. While they are smoother than before which was horrible, but I'm not happy. I have yet to evaluate the worm gears, but I suspect at least 3 of the 6 need new ones.   

1) Does anyone have the LH side plate spool bearing dimensions? Anyone have any to sell?

2) Anyone have 4 main bearings they would part with?

It's that time of year where it's too cold the garage, but reels must be serviced.

Thanks in advance, Kevin 
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 08:25:35 PM »

the left side plate is 4x11x4 and the bridge bearing 8x16x5.  dawn at smoothdrag has them.  if you need the teflon dots to shim the levelwind pawl, let me know. 

CaptKev

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 09:32:03 AM »

Thanks Alan.

Teflon dots? Guess I need to read this entire thread.

jetboat69

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 05:09:33 PM »

Alan
I have been reading you're posts and comments for several years on other forums and the information has been great.
I am primarily a fly fisherman and my fly reels are pretty simple and old school compared to the complex reels on this forum.
I covet the likes of Olsons,  Hardy's, Bogens and all bench made reels. I do have times when I fish with conventional gear and most of it is in need of TLC. I troll for salmon in Puget sound and I'm trying to service my wife's Penn GGTi 321 using you'r tutorial.
My question is you mention replacing the 6-320 drag washers with those from a 113. My reel also has a plastic click tongue 35-310N and the photo in your tutorial shows a metal one.
Can I get a metal part to replace the fiber one?
Can you direct me to a parts supplier or can I just purchase the needed  parts them from you.
I would appreciate all and any help as my next plan is to do my Shimano Charter Special.
Thanks
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 05:31:14 PM »

for the 320, i would replace the drag washer under the main gear with a $2 carbontex drag. i would also put a teflon "dot" under the levelwind pawl.  i can mail them to you if you wish.  send a pm with your address.  also grease the other 5 drag washers. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: