Need opinions on which reel to buy or build...YTS

Started by sundaytrucka, December 08, 2013, 09:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 10, 2013, 12:02:52 PM
SS Bridge with double dogs! :P
Lee?
No.
Don't get excited they're still testing, but I'm sure it will happen one way or another.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Yeah, this will happen at the exact time I get all my reels put back together  ;D wah,wah,wah. Really Sal, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the time and patience you have brought to ALL these upgrades. This is basically erector sets for adults. What a great hobby.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Bob, I thank you for your kind words, but I'm not the only one involved, we're working as a team. You and VW ( Wallace) also have something into this reel, those are some nice stainless steel screws upgrades. ;)

Sorry guys, I made a mistake, the bridge and dogs are going to be for the Jig-Master, not the Tank....I'm getting ahead of myself ::)

this was originally Tom's idea (Irish Jigger), they're just bringing it up a notch.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Not reinventing the wheel...just improving it! Keep-um coming ;D ;D

Alto Mare

OK guys, we're stretching this a bit...me included ;D. Let get back to Sundaytrucka's question.
If you have comments on why you think the 113H Tank is a better reel or vice versa, go for it.
We will save these other good stuff for another post.
Thanks!
Sal

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Scott,   i have the PG541, basically 113 guts except the yoke and eccentric jack. upgrades include A.T. SS sleeve and Pro Challenger 4:1 SS gears. will install "Keta Cranks" later. tried to upgrade the yoke with SS one but they don't match but i think if i replace the jack with part #011 113 this will solve it. keeping my fingers crossed.

whichever you decide on, you won't be disappointed. good luck!

BMITCH

Isn't the progear a one piece frame and a side plate? Never had one apart but they seem well built. When all is said and done cost of the tank with all the bling may be more then the progear? Unless you can get a tank at a deal. Then the question is...are there a lot of upgrades that can be done to the progear? And if so how much?

floating doc

I think that a lot of this discussion focuses on fact the 113 H has so many aftermarket parts available. If more becomes available for the Baja special then that reel becomes a viable alternative.

the Baja doesn't have a stainless sleeve in production yet, does it?
Central Florida

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 10, 2013, 10:29:19 AM
SoCal Angler, if I would guess my lottery numbers the same as I guessed you answering my comment, I would be a rich man ;D ;D.
Does the 545 or any other 4/0 narrowed Pro Gears come with adjustable bearing cups on right side and left side of the plates?
I have a 113h Tank with Accu-plates that I'm able to adjust the spool or replace the bearings very easily.
That same reel gives me over 35lbs of drag at max using our upgrades, give me an idea on how you were going to get there with the Pro Gear. Also, some of us are still working on some additional upgrades.
I should be receiving a stainless steel bridge with two dogs already installed on it. I already have the jack and yoke in stainless steel, the yoke is heat treated and so will the jack.
I'm sure we're not done yet and no, you won't be able to purchase one today to match it at a better price.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match just to give a little insite. Yes you can adjust the beairing cup in the pro Gears but why would you want too? Just like any reel you adjust for a little play and leave set to get max freespool. Second a 545 is a different reel (almost the same) than a YTS. A YTS, the 545 also, uses the same internals as the 113 so why could you not do the same upgrades? With all the stainless goodies installed and a stock one piece, all metal frame, with 2 screw sideplate removal, stock narrow spool, no need to grind sideplate if you want to double dog why would a YTS be a lesser reel in your eyes?

Sorry just reread your post. Its the left side plate with adjustable bearing not right. Why would you ever want to adust the right side anyway?

Alto Mare

SoCal, as I said above, those are my thoughts and yes I still personally believe the 113H Tank is a Much better reel. ;)
Having the right side adjustable bearing is a very good thing, makes it possible to always have the spool aligned perfectly, it will also help with not having the bearing welded to the side plate!
Sal

broschro

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 10, 2013, 10:29:19 AM
SoCal Angler, if I would guess my lottery numbers the same as I guessed you answering my comment, I would be a rich man ;D ;D.
Does the 545 or any other 4/0 narrowed Pro Gears come with adjustable bearing cups on right side and left side of the plates?
I have a 113h Tank with Accu-plates that I'm able to adjust the spool or replace the bearings very easily.
That same reel gives me over 35lbs of drag at max using our upgrades, give me an idea on how you were going to get there with the Pro Gear. Also, some of us are still working on some additional upgrades.
I should be receiving a stainless steel bridge with two dogs already installed on it. I already have the jack and yoke in stainless steel, the yoke is heat treated and so will the jack.
I'm sure we're not done yet and no, you won't be able to purchase one today to match it at a better price.
i want the ss bridge with the Dog's and the jack please any info on these ???

broschro

I use my narrow 113h tank for vertical jigging and it works flawlessly  ;D

Bryan Young

Good luck on your decision Scott.

Here is what is being offered by our members:

Fully Accurate YTS - http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5259.0

NIB Pro Gear YTS - http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7512.0

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

scott,

here are my senators 112H and 113H;

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8544.0

did upgrades after this photo and will post photos later. also when i get back next yr will buy the narrow kit for my 112 and it will be one of my 30lb reels.

as for upgrades for the Pro Gears with 113H internals you can use the after-market internal parts (most anyway) for 113H. also my PG541 came with SS pinion and i think i will dbl dog this one in the future because the side plate is metal (alum). anyways whatever you decide on it will work.

Ron Jones

Alan (Tani) once did a tutorial on a fully done Accurate Senator, he felt the factory side plates were more than adequate and I agree with him. If a Tank and a PG YTS are built to the same standard you basically have the same reel. The Tib kit and 113H together should almost always be less than the Pro Gear and so I think you save a little money with the TANK. Regardless, both reels, duly upgraded, will fish with the best of them in this size range.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"