Avet mxl 5.8 vs. daiwa saltist hsh

Started by Backlash118, January 29, 2014, 04:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backlash118

Trying to decide which one to get it would mainly be used for pier fishing on a 10ft gator glass rod so free spool is important for casting, as is speed and toqure for retrieving the weight when trolley fishing. This would be my go to rod for fishing any big fish I previously had a torium 16 on the rod and it severed me well

The mxl I'm getting used for $120
The diawa unsure of what model I have in mind thinking the 35 or 40 and would most likely be paying retail

Chris Gatorfan

Both reels should serve you well. I would lean towards the saltist as I have heard nothing but good reviews on them. With the MXL, if you decide to get it, first thing i would do is break it down and make sure all is well with it, especially the bearings as they give the most issues on the AVETs.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

alantani

not a big fan of the daiwa anti-reverse systems, but the carbon fiber drags are greased, as opposed to avet's dry drags.  if you can service either reel, get the avet.  if you are going to fish it straight out of the box and then send it in for service, go with the daiwa.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Backlash118

Never took apart a lever drag but ill figure it out

SoCalAngler

Alot will depend on the drag your looking to get out of the reel. Avet max at strike is 10lbs where the Daiwa is 17lbs. Most lever drag reels have side load issues on the pinion bearing not just Avets, if you fished the Diawa over the 17lbs of drag I'm sure you would also have a pinion bearing issue. You said you need torque as well as speed but to me 7:1 gears dont sound like they have alot of torque but then again I have ever fish the hyper speed lever drag reels. The Daiwa has a ARB for instant antireverse backed up by 2 dogs and they will only engage if the ARB fails. The Avet has one stainless dog which is very strong but does not offer the instant antireverse.

So as you can see its not a apples to apples match but both are good reels. I think you two main deciding factors will come down to drag pressure versus torque. Cost should not really come into play because if you get either reel no matter what the cost and it will not work for you have you really saved money?