Penn 113 Advice and Recommendations

Started by spc7669, June 23, 2016, 07:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Before you order a bridge and main gear let me check my old parts. I should have what you need.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

The only time I replace the Bridge, is if there is slop with the sleeve that is unacceptable or the Bridge post itself is loose.
That is part of the accomplishment. As long as the gears are smooth and the sleeve to post fit is tight. You are good to go.
You are going to have to use some abrasive to get that rust out of the gear.
A Dremel with a soft wire wheel does magic.
Keith is a Godsend and helps a lot of people out such as yourself.
Its all about paying it forward here. ;)
Life is Good!

spc7669

There's no slop and I may be able to smooth the nicks out with the Dremel.

Keith, you are too kind and I am most grateful. Please let me cover any postage and a fair price for the parts.

SH, there is no other Internet forum I've ever seen that is this clean and friendly. In the world we live in, you should all be very proud of that.

Shark Hunter

Patrick,
Stick around, and you will be just like the rest of us. ;)
In no time, The tables will be turned.
This is a Sacred Place.
Some get the lesson to be learned.
Life is Good!

David Hall

In spite of my fanatic reel buying hot rodding habit, my best fishing buddy has only one rod and reel, a penn 4/0 black mounted on a Penn Sabre, he inherited it from his dad and it is the only reel he uses when he's out with me.  just like your buddies reel, I offered to do everything to his reel, he declined and insisted he just wanted it cleaned serviced and loaded with new mono.  I think I snuck a stainless sleeve in the reel anyway and one of Bryan's 5+1 drag kits, but that's it.  He won't let me do anything else to the reel.  I simply do not understand it?

spc7669

I actually do get your friend's position. That reel was his dad's. He's sentimentally attached to it as is. He's actually a lucky guy to have a connection like that through a classic reel.  That being said, I probably wouldn't fish a sentimental reel except in rare and very safe circumstances. I'd get a second 4/0, a 113H this time, and hotrod away.   

spc7669

I followed Daron's advice and broke out the Dremel. The burrs on the bridge post came out and the fit was good.

The main was still gross even after a nights soak. The Dremel got it passable, but I'll replace it the next time I open it up.

I liked the results so much, I polished the bridge and everything else.

spc7669

I assembled the right sideplate and added the power handle. As soon as the new star arrives from Adam, I'll put it on.

For my first Penn build, I think it turned out ok.

Shark Hunter

Pretty sweet! I can however see an issue with the eccentric lever being backward.
Also make sure you loctite that handle. The screw that actually attaches it to the arm and another inside the handle.
Life is Good!

mhc

Nice work. I like the look of the black plates on a silver frame.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

thorhammer

Bryan Young

Ok?  Ok?  That is way better than ok!  Nice work.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

spc7669

The lever IS backward. Wish there was a smiley face that did a head smack. How did I miss that one?

Daron, I didn't lock tite the handle screws and didn't know I was supposed to. Thanks for the heads up!

My buddy came by last night to give it a look. He was a happy man. Asked me for a spooling recommendation. I was thinking 400 yards of 60# JB hollow with a served splice topshot of Big Game 40. I have similar on my Torium 16 and Solterra 10 and am pretty happy with it. But I am a Penn newbie (as evidenced by backward eccentric lever), so please feel free to recommend some spooling options. This will be his do-all saltwater reel.

Thank you all for the advice!

Patrick

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Pat,
I did the same thing when I rebuilt my first Senator. It came backwards and I thought that is how it went. We all have to start somewhere. The aftermarket handles are known for the screw loosening. I use the Blue Loctite. A little drop of oil on the bearings in the handle will smooth it out as well. They are usually dry. I'm not trying to be snobby, just giving advice. That reel looks off the hook!
Life is Good!