Curado 200 Spool Bearing Pin

Started by Danny8969, February 22, 2017, 08:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny8969

I have launched my spool bearing pin across the room and can not find it.  I see that it does not have a part number so I am looking for suggestion on what I can use to make one or if anyone knows where I can purchase one.  I do not want to purchase the compete spool.  Thanks Guys and Gals.

alantani

joey and i had talked about this a while back.  you can call shimano at 877-577-0600 and ask if they have one.  there are also metric dowel pins available from mcmaster.com  that might work.  we haven't lost one yet, but we were thinking about measuring out the cross pins to see if there was a dowel pin that matched. 

not that any of this helps you now.  call shimano first.  also, maybe someone with a curado can measure the pins and see.  also, which series curado is it?  i'll bet an off the shelf metric dowel pin would work! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

we don't have a curado here today, but, as an example, we have a tekota 600 and the dowel pin is 2.5mm x 10mm.  

Danny8969

Thanks for the info...  I have the old Green Curado Bantam 200.  I have a second one at the house and will measure the pin today.  I will let you know the dims tonight.

alantani

good, and so far we have -

tekota 2.5mm x 10mm
calcutta 400B - 1.5mm x 8mm

anybody else? 

Gfish

Don't know, nothing even close. I have called Shimano about small parts like this before and every time they've sent to me for free!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Danny8969

I am coming up with 1.5mm x 8 on the Bantam CU 200.

Zimbass

All Shimano low profile reel spool pins are 1,5mm X 8mm.

Cheers.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

exp2000

Quote from: Danny8969 on February 22, 2017, 08:36:48 PM
I have launched my spool bearing pin across the room and can not find it.  I see that it does not have a part number so I am looking for suggestion on what I can use to make one or if anyone knows where I can purchase one.  I do not want to purchase the compete spool.  Thanks Guys and Gals.

What model is it? I got a few here I can check.

You might fluke a match with a a pin from a needle roller bearing.

Have you tried "mine-sweeping" with a magnet on the end of a pole?
~

oc1

In a pinch, you can use a piece of 14 gauge wire.  Copper will work and is available at every hardware store.  That pin does not absorb any stress so even a piece of plastic or wood tooth pick would work.
-steve

exp2000

Quote from: oc1 on February 23, 2017, 08:32:56 AM
In a pinch, you can use a piece of 14 gauge wire.  Copper will work and is available at every hardware store.  That pin does not absorb any stress so even a piece of plastic or wood tooth pick would work.
-steve

That may be the case with the design of some larger light game reels but certainly not with the Curado.

The pin alone engages the pinion gear, locking it onto the spool.

The entire load on the line is transferred via that pin to the drag stack,so we are talking up to 15 lbs of load here depending on the model in question.

Of necessity, the pin must be made of relatively high tensile steel.

If cheaper materials were an option, manufacturers would use them.
~

exp2000

Ok. My last post got me thinking (something that doesn't happen very often, I admit)

Why would you want to remove the spool pin on a Curado anyway.

There is no bearing behind it and it's not April yet, I checked!

I was not even aware that it was removable.

Are you sure that this is a Curado we are talking about or am I missing something here?
~

Danny8969

exp2000
On the older model curado bantam reels there is actually a bearing on the spool right behind the pin.  I believe I have the Green 1992 series CU 200. I swept the floor last night with the magnet to try and locate it but the pin is SS so it will not pick it up.  However as I was doing this something caught my eye on the floor and believe it or not it was my pin.  It was 12' away from where my work station is.  Got lucky on this one. 

exp2000

Quote from: Danny8969 on February 23, 2017, 03:37:42 PM
exp2000
On the older model curado bantam reels there is actually a bearing on the spool right behind the pin.  I believe I have the Green 1992 series CU 200. I swept the floor last night with the magnet to try and locate it but the pin is SS so it will not pick it up.  However as I was doing this something caught my eye on the floor and believe it or not it was my pin.  It was 12' away from where my work station is.  Got lucky on this one. 

Congratulations Danny. Glad you found it.

For mine-sweeping I use a big old neodymium magnet out of a really old hard drive.
These are so powerful that they will attract most anything, even stainless.

Don't suppose you ave the schematics for your reel?
I looked up the Cu200 Bantam and I don't have anything resembling your reel on file.
I would be interested to see this design or some pics if you can.
~

Pro Reel

most of the shimano baitcasters made before about 2005 had a 3 bearing system with the main pinion support bearing being behind the spool pin. When they first came out with the SF reels they modified the frame of the previous B series reels to have a pinion gear bearing instead of a spool shaft bearing. The older calcuta reels used a bushing instead of a bearing behind the spool pin. On those reels the bushing was there to support the spool shaft under a load