Looking for some help: Need a photo of an SX 5.3

Started by Bucktail, June 13, 2013, 10:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

is the reel silent when you turn the handle without the pinion gear installed?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mike1010

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 03, 2015, 03:14:55 PM
is the reel silent when you turn the handle without the pinion gear installed?

I have not used that reel since late last spring.  Checking it now, I think it's just making normal stainless gear noise, and my recollection was a senior moment.

Mike

Bryan Young

One other thing I would check is the pinion bearing.  I have found on a couple of reels that the pinion bearing were acting like self aligning bearings (photo from Boca).  Not quite to this extent, but it was substantial enough to misalign the gears.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bucktail

Quote from: Drisse on March 03, 2015, 08:13:51 AM
I have an Avet SX 5.3 with the same sound. Replaced the pinionbearing without any change. Ordered a new driveshaft gear and piniongear, but still the same sound. After that I changed every bearing one by one, but still the same annoying sound. So now I'm out of ideas and patience :)

How did it end up with your reel Bucktail ?

Any more ideas to get rid of this sound ?

Never got it to be silent.  As far as I know the reel works just fine though.
Just a jig-a-lo

Drisse

Ok, the reel I made service on sounds quite normal after about 15 teardowns :) . But I still don't know what made that sound ?

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Bucktail on March 04, 2015, 04:32:26 AM
Quote from: Drisse on March 03, 2015, 08:13:51 AM
I have an Avet SX 5.3 with the same sound. Replaced the pinionbearing without any change. Ordered a new driveshaft gear and piniongear, but still the same sound. After that I changed every bearing one by one, but still the same annoying sound. So now I'm out of ideas and patience :)

How did it end up with your reel Bucktail ?

Any more ideas to get rid of this sound ?

Never got it to be silent.  As far as I know the reel works just fine though.

Just my experience with "that sound", when I first broke down my Avet for clean & lube it was just to keep it up to specs. Around the 2nd or 3rd time I used lighter/faster lube on the bearings & shaft, and went sparingly on the grease for the other moving parts. The result was better casting distance and less resistance on the crank, the trade off?.............noisy zzzz sound when cranking and *possibly* more wear on the gears/moving parts that had may be underlubed. (did I make up a word there?)

Since then I've fine tuned my lube game and have fast/light lubes for the bearings/etc and heavy for the large gear and other parts, it works perfect for me.

Hope this helps.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.