Surfmaster 150

Started by Shark Hunter, March 04, 2014, 10:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I often enlist me GFs help with stripping old spools too, after doing about a dozen on her own, I think she's getting the technique down.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

My Son loves to do it. I miss him when he visits Grandma. ;)
I use to have a line stripper years ago. I need to get another one. it makes quick work of it.
Life is Good!

BMITCH

A couple years ago I bought one of these through Melton. Goes on a empty soda/water bottle and then chucked up in your drill and away you go....

luck is the residue of design.

Irish Jigger

Didn't know there was such a  handy gadget,looks very durable.
Been using a plastic Coke bottle cap with a set screw and nut attached, cheapskate ;)

DaBigOno

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 05, 2014, 02:16:54 PM

Didn't know there was such a  handy gadget,looks very durable.
Been using a plastic Coke bottle cap with a set screw and nut attached, cheapskate ;)

Ingenious...I gotta order me one

http://www.meltontackle.com/products/melton-tackle-hi-speed-line-stripper.html
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

BMITCH

What's nice about this is that I made a box with an opening slit at the top. So when you have the line on the bottle you can reuse it on another reel. This helps with braid. Caution though. Don't put line on empty water/soda bottle to tight. It will crush it causing loops and tangles.
Bob

Tightlines667

Not sure if that would hold 1100yds of 130 mono.  I was thinking of taking an empty spool and Dremel off one side lip, attach it to an aluminum shaft, which can ride in my spooling machine cradle, and powered by a drill. Just havn't had the time to get around to playing with it.  They no longer make my machine or parts for it, and I'm not quite sure how the line stripper attachments were made to work on it.  Does anyone else have a Tanaguchi Spooling machine that could shed sum light on the topic?  I'll get something worked out eventually. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

BMITCH

No, it's not gonna hold 1000+ yds of 130 mono on a plastic water bottle, but it does work pretty well with the smaller reels. I'm sure, as Tom did, that there are ways around this with stuff you have at hand but I bought a couple for presents to my fishing buddies and kept one for myself. I only own 6/0's and on down so the bottles work OK for me.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

maxpowers

I used a large empty spool.  The center core is solid and I superglued a fender washer to each side.  Then I used Lee's tennis balls trick to keep the spool tight and unspool my reel with 2 -3 lbs of drag onto the empty spool.  This allow me to wash the braid by immersing it in clean freshwater for a couple of days and then spool back onto the reel.  I am thinking of making a line stripper by cutting the side of one end of a large spool and using a 4" or larger fender washer with a nut on it.  Once the lines has come off, just unscrew the nut and remove the fender washer and the pull the lines off the spool into the trashcan.

Irish Jigger

Shark Hunter

I thought 4 D Batteries was a little much. The one I had years ago was much smaller and really zipped the line off a reel.
Life is Good!

maxpowers

I think you are referring the the berkeley line stripper?

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 04, 2014, 12:12:45 PM
The 29-155 spool fits the 150.
I picked up a plastic replacement spool for $10. It has the 29-155 part number right on it. But its too wide for my 150. Why do spools have the same part number that are different?
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

When you purchased that reel it had the wrong spool on it. The 29-155 will work with the 200, but does not fit the 150. You will need a 29-150.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.