Surfmaster 150

Started by Shark Hunter, March 04, 2014, 10:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Recently scored me a 150 Surfmaster for 20 bucks. The spool is broken and the ring that goes on the pinion has come loose. Do I need a new pinion or can I roll like this without the ring? The spool has 29 155 on the side. Is this even the right spool? A 155 Baymaster is wider than this. This tiny little spring fell out too. I don't think it belongs. The spool shaft seemed like it was dragging a bit in the handle side, which is why I'm asking if this spool is correct.
Its a little rougher than my 200's, but at that price and as hard as these reels are to get, I think I did good. ;) It should clean up nice.
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Can't wait to see the finished pictures Daron.  :)
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

I'm working on the Surfmaster line up Bob. I really like these little reels and they will be perfect for Kayaking and catching bait. 100, 150, 200 and 250. ;)
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Yeah, they are nice little reels. I had the 100 and 150 but sold them a couple years ago. Already did all the upgrades just didn't use them anymore. Now I wish I hadn't. In those sizes I went with Newell's. Good luck and I'll keep a watch out for those for ya.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Irish Jigger

The 29-155 spool fits the 150.

Keta

The spring is not out of a 150 and early reels did not have a hobed gear, the ring.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

DaBigOno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 04, 2014, 10:56:44 AM

I'm working on the Surfmaster line up Bob. I really like these little reels and they will be perfect for Kayaking and catching bait. 100, 150, 200 and 250. ;)

I'm looking forward to the pictures of the complete tear downs and mods.  What are your plans?  Making any custom drags for it?   Got a steel gear?  Tib frame or newell conversation?  I'll be watching and learning...
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

Already has the steel gear Ono. I'll probably just do a 5 stack with Bryan's washers and the .50 sheet from Wallace. After I took the spool out and the ring from the pinion fell out. I'm wondering if someone put that in there? You notice the spool looks like it was dropped, but not when it was in the reel.
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 04, 2014, 06:12:48 PM

You notice the spool looks like it was dropped, but not when it was in the reel.

Been there done that too many times.  I hate when I drop a spool, total ruins it!     :P
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Ron Jones

I think everyone has a plastic spool or two with a chip in them.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

erikpowell

Remember that decent old 10/0 I said I found last week in a box?
Well it had a near perfect 1 piece chrome spool... with some line left on it, so I had my girlfriend help me unspool it  ::)

she got a little too playful and took off running... imitating a fish... the spool went flying outta my hands and crashed down hard on the tile floor....

Like I said.... HAD a near perfect spool   :'( :'(

I did a pretty good job of keeping my cool though  :'(

john2244

I had a near new plastic Green Penn 26 monofil spool that I put on a shelf while taking apart the reel, yup, rolled off the shelf and is now in several pieces.  I was home alone so my wife did not hear me, but I think the neighbors did.

John

Alto Mare

Quote from: erikpowell on March 05, 2014, 01:40:58 AM
Remember that decent old 10/0 I said I found last week in a box?
Well it had a near perfect 1 piece chrome spool... with some line left on it, so I had my girlfriend help me unspool it  ::)

she got a little too playful and took off running... imitating a fish... the spool went flying outta my hands and crashed down hard on the tile floor....

Like I said.... HAD a near perfect spool   :'( :'(

I did a pretty good job of keeping my cool though  :'(
Erik, are you kidding me?  ::) Time for a new girlfriend bud, can't have that ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Well, You may as well send me the rest of the parts then. ;)
Life is Good!