Show your Collections!

Started by Shark Hunter, March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: foakes on December 05, 2014, 01:30:43 AM
Sal --

As you know, those little 714s & 716s are some of the best spinners ever produced by any manufacturer.

NIB is nearly impossible to find.

Do you have a 716 NIB to display with this one?

It would be tough for me not to fish that one -- they are so sweet to use -- but I guess I wouldn't.

Congratulations,

Fred
No Fred, I do not have the 716, but looking ;). I had a couple in the past but never new, you're right I've never seen these new in the box.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Superhook

Quote from: alantani on December 04, 2014, 09:37:16 PM
another option would be to re-chrome the old parts, but then all the nicks and scratches would show up.  it would be nice, though. 

Alan , You could do it for one you wanted to but it kills the collector value. One seller on ebay had reels from the 30-40's and the chrome work was redone perfectly but most would not sell and some that sold early were sent back. You can redo the chrome but you can't redo the weathered side plates back to new again.

The early Senators and some of the more expensive Penn reels were chrome over German silver.

Big Tim

Forgot I had these photoed...Misc old reels of mine...Some have been sold but most are just boxed up in storage:

A LITTLE SUMTHIN' FROM TEXAS :Bingo/HUMP salesman Samplers, display by Patty Zapalac of Bingo Lures:

SOME PRIZED BINGO'S:

RARE SET OF SASSY SUZY'S (TEXAS)

2 ROWS IN THE MIDDLE ARE BEN SMITH'S FROM FLORIDA

THANKS FOR ALL THE NICE COMMENTS  ;D ;D ;D Lobor of love, Tim

TomT

Tim,
I have at least 1 Coit reel somewhere.  I bought 5 or 6 back in the 70's that were brand new in box from the family after his passing.  Most of mine were blue.  I gave most of them away to family or friends.  I believe they were were 1:1 ratio.
TomT

fIsHsTiiCkS

That's Shakespeare is a beaut!

Shark Hunter

WOW Tim! :o
Nice Pictures. I like that old gumball machine setup. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

You got some cool stuff Tim, love the layout. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Nice selection, Tim.  Can you tell is some more about that Coit electric reel. Looks like a real beauty!
I too, like that lure/gumball machine.
Thanks
Dom

Big Tim

Quote from: broadway on December 06, 2014, 06:13:25 PM
Nice selection, Tim.  Can you tell is some more about that Coit electric reel. Looks like a real beauty!
I too, like that lure/gumball machine.
Thanks
Dom

Dom: The Coit Electric Reel Company....Well that's about it  ;D ;D ;D OK, I do know this... Edward J. Perinoni of Santa Clara and Dominic Perinoni of Los Gatos, California were granted patents in 1952, but applied for them in 1949. The belief is the brothers were originally going to patent a magged reel...Their non electric "C" reel, but came up with a electrical anti reverse that was powered by a C sized battery(bad idea for 1950's batteries that leak). I have a few of the reels but never took one apart:

I do know that the clicker was an issue as it was always engaged and most people that purchased these reels didn't understand that the reels were built that way, as the clicker would disengage when you reeled on the handle. My guess is they used applied electric force to the ar dog by way of the battery circuit as a brake system? and was switched on and off by the switch on the crank side of the reel...This makes want to dig though my storage and find my Coit reels to take one apart and photograph the mechanism...I'm sure someone much smarter than me can figure this out

Alto Mare

Someone gave me that reel a little while back, I've never seen one before. It was in pretty bad shape, so I decided to open it up and take a look. I didn't do anything to it, I'm not an electrician ;D

I believe I sent it to Harry, along with some other junk.
Definitely a cool reel to have in your collection, especially in the condition that Tim has his.
As for the reel itself, it didn't impress me.
Sal

the rockfish ninja

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Tightlines667

The impressive thing is when they developed the first electric reels.  I bet if you upgraded this baby's magnetic inductance motor with a new brushless model, and paired it with one if the new Lithium Ion packs it would be pretty impressive.  (In terms of retrieval rate when not under load).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

The body and spool are very thin, that reel would get bent out of shape with a nice size fish on, but I could be wrong :-\.

Tightlines667

It does look a little on the 'wimpy' side.  And I'm not just saying that because it is 'princess pink'.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Big Tim

Actually:
As far as I can tell, the granddaddy of them all is the 20 May 1913 McCluer & Munn Patent #1,062,488 for an electrically powered automatic fishing reel. Marshall McCluer and Albert C. Munn of Muskegon, Michigan invented this exceptionally early electric fishing tackle patent, predating by a half year the first electric fishing lure I could find (West Virginia native J.C. Simms' beautiful Electric Artificial Minnow patent #1,079,891).

Simm's minnow...I want one ;D

Then Bugatti ?:
Italian automotive legend Ettore Bugatti's Patent #2,190,398 dated 13 February 1940 for an electric powered big game fishing reel. Originally patented in France, this fascinating reel shows off Bugatti's incredibly fertile mind. I have no idea if this reel was ever manufactured.

And from Sal's pics it looks like that the Coit uses electro magnetic force to magnetize the drive gear as a brake...I guess the thumb and magnets have won out