Show your Collections!

Started by Shark Hunter, March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

At first I thought it was a Stevens:

but on closer inspection I really doubt.

It is not a Templar. Pflueger Templars never went any larger than about 9/O. I am still stumped. There are many big game reel made in Australia, it could be a import from OZ.

I am stumped.................... ???

Tightlines667

I may be stopping by the shop tommorow.  Maybe I can glean a little more info or better pics.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

No one in the shop could shed any light on what this reel is.  It has been residing there as long as anyone can remember.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

A couple more pics of the smaller reel sitting next to it on display...
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

And another few older reels...
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Does anybody know what penn was referring to on the box of their 1950s 9/0 ball bearing/1-piece cast bronze spool model by the phrase "Nonslip Gears"? *see pic.

Did the reels with solid steel main gears have any different markings on the outside of the box?
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

QuoteDoes anybody know what penn was referring to on the box of their 1950s 9/0 ball bearing/1-piece cast bronze spool model by the phrase "Nonslip Gears"? *see pic.

I am going to go out on a limb here. I have to assume that what Penn means when they say, "Nonslip Gears" is that their gear train is constantly in mesh. When a standard Penn reel is thrown out of gear, the pinion gear slides back into the head plate away from the spool but not away from the main gear, making the transition into and out of Free Spool mode smoother than reels that totally disengage the pinion from the main gear.
                  Historically, this was one of the main designs that gave Penn a hedge above other makers back in the 1930's. Older free spool gear trains had pivoting bridges that disengaged the pinion from the main gear to facilitate free spool mode.

Superhook

You're right on the money there Mike.  In the catalogs of early/mid 1960's : Quote - "Each reel has our proven clutch which permits instant shifting into free spool or engaged position without danger of stripping gears "

Dominick

I think the explanations make sense however the box says "non-strip" not non slip.  So I am going out on a limb by saying that Penn used steel gears and the reel was engineered to only put out so much drag so the drag was not strong enough to strip the gears.  Just a guess on my part.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I'm going to have to go out on a longer limb! :o, and agree with Dominick here. ;D
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 03, 2014, 10:14:00 PM
I'm going to have to go out on a longer limb! :o, and agree with Dominick here. ;D
Will wonders never cease... I am overwhelmed.  :'( :'( Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on December 03, 2014, 10:44:49 PM

No...you're drunk ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on December 03, 2014, 10:44:49 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 03, 2014, 10:14:00 PM

That is quite a long limb indeed.  I tend to agree with the historian here.  Though it would be interesting to learn more of what specific years these larger reels were produced with steel main gears, and when they switched over. 

The other interesting thing would be to determine what years the 14/0s were produced with the chromed bridge that has that lip. I remember a thread where I believe Lee? Mentioned that he believed the lip was added to the bridge in order to 'tighten the tolerances' and ensure the gears were closer together when fully engaged.  I think the steel gears definately predate the lipped bridge design.
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

No doubt we are in an area of interpretation, so I went back into the Penn catalogs hoping for an explanation of ""Non Strip Gears"". I found out that the early gears were stated in the catalog being a Stainless steel pinion gear and a steel main gear and that in 1960 Penn catalog simply said their gears were stainless. So that may be a change or it may not be.
            One positive piece of documentation is the description from the 1938 catalog referring to their free spool clutch, which, because of its design avoids the danger of stripping gears (fifth line down).

That is a direct reference but this crowded limb we are all on is still open to exact meanings.
            So, I guess we are in the opinion category and like noses, we all have one. ;D

Shark Hunter

OK, I'm jumping off that limb! it just broke! ;D
I use the chrome lipped bridge on my favorite 14/0's John, with steel gears. I put one in the reel I bought from you. It helps keep the gears in alignment under a heavy load.

It also has a prototype ss sleeve. ;)

Life is Good!