Show your Collections!

Started by Shark Hunter, March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I got these old reels from Bucktail today. AKA Bob at NJ Saltwater Tackle.
Two 77 Sea Hawks, a 78 Sea Scamp, A 79 Sea mate and an 85 Sea Boy.
The 78 and 79 have the black and brown marbled plates. These reels look in great shape. They were made from the 50's to the 80's.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

These Bakelite reels were the backbone of Penn sales for many years. Thousands of them were made, sold and used to death. The marble effect you mentioned affects the value. The more dramatic the marbling, aka Mottled, the higher the value of the reel.

Shark Hunter

They were on Craigslist in Jersey and Bob picked them up for me. Shipped, I got all five for $50. They will be display Items. I just wanted the Sea Series for my Collection.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

These models can be a lot of fun. They were the reels that Penn used to display their experimental colors. There are many variations of these, especially the 80's and 85's. Not only the marbled effect but also crazy color schemes of side plates and spools. The more wild, the higher the values.
              They are great old models and represent the Penn Mantra that the company was built on, "Make it simple, make it work".

alantani

too bad they didn't add "make it last" to their mantra.  imagine if all of these had been made with stainless steel instead of chromed brass. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Penn Chronology

Alan, you are correct, Stainless Steel would have brought these reels to a much higher level and also a higher price. The basic Penn design and material choices originated in the 1930's during the depression and were initially marketed for people fishing for food. Penn was trying to satisfy a needy market with a fishing tool priced lower than the competition. I would have loved to see a stainless steel Penn Sea Boy but nickel plated brass is what we got.................. :)

alantani

another option would be to re-chrome the old parts, but then all the nicks and scratches would show up.  it would be nice, though. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Look what I found on my front stoop today
A brand new Ultra Sport 714.
I've been hunting one of these down for some time now. Finding the Ultra Sport 714 in new condition, with box papers  and everything else isn't easy.
I'm very happy  ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

That is definitely a Gem Sal! :o
All I got today was a 900H, a 501 , and a long beach 67. ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

If that 501 is from Chris, he's going to hear it from me >:(  ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

All I got today was this beat up and broken down Stradic.   New gears, bearings, spool shaft, and clutch assembly and I'll have her working like new.  At least it was free :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 05, 2014, 12:51:23 AM
If that 501 is from Chris, he's going to hear it from me >:(  ;D.

Yep!
The 900H too. ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

Sal --

As you know, those little 714s & 716s are some of the best spinners ever produced by any manufacturer.

NIB is nearly impossible to find.

Do you have a 716 NIB to display with this one?

It would be tough for me not to fish that one -- they are so sweet to use -- but I guess I wouldn't.

Congratulations,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 05, 2014, 01:19:04 AM
All I got today was this beat up and broken down Stradic.   New gears, bearings, spool shaft, and clutch assembly and I'll have her working like new.  At least it was free :)
I like Free John. ;D
Is that reel capable of catching a 6' shark? I saw a video on Blacktip H, where some guys were fishing at night with spinners. The reel was white with a tall spool like that, but I couldn't tell what it was.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 05, 2014, 01:48:27 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 05, 2014, 01:19:04 AM
I like Free John. ;D
Is that reel capable of catching a 6' shark? I saw a video on Blacktip H, where some guys were fishing at night with spinners. The reel was white with a tall spool like that, but I couldn't tell what it was.

Daron,
Not really designed for 6' sharks, but I suppose it would be possible if you were in shallow water, with a fast boat and a good gaff and/or harpoon.  I think it should work nicely for Papio (juvenile pacific jacks) and O'io (Bonefish) though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.