Show your Collections!

Started by Shark Hunter, March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Nossir. We are easily distracted by shiny baubles.

Aiala

Quote from: thorhammer on December 14, 2015, 11:57:34 PM
We are easily distracted by shiny baubles.

Yup... like YTs, dorado, 'hoos, et al;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Penn Chronology

Well, since this thread seems to want to go on forever, I figured I would post my recent life event. I have created a new research center for myself. I have tried to consolidate my collection to one wall of my 11 by 10 foot cave.

It all starts with a simple new rack for a very important part of my little collection, my game fishing rods. I have an affinity for big tackle. I guess it is the history, because I certainly have not done much big game fishing in my life. I have tried fishing for Bluefin tuna and Shark from other peoples boats. All I ever have succeeded doing when making those few attempts for monster catching was having fun catching the big Bluefish we used for bait and spending large amounts of money for the extremely expensive Charters.

Anyways, I still like the tackle so the first part of my remodel was to make a place for my special big rigs,

From left to right on this little wall rack are my favorite rigs. The first one on the left is a 130 pound class custom rod made in Montauk Point in the 1960's, at the historically famous Johnny's Tackle Shop. That shop closed when Johnny passed away; but, when it was open it was the place to go in Montauk for information about what was happenings in the ocean and on the surf. The rod is made with all top quality parts of the day, a Aftco Aluminum Butt, Lakeland Locking Reel seat, Shakespeare Blank and high end Mildrum guides, the double roller tip is a size 28. Not the biggest rod; but, certainly a stout stick.
            The next rod is 6/0 Neptuna rig made to the desired specs of Steve Zuckerman by Neptuna. Some of the California folks here may remember Steve Zuckerman. He was a wealthy contractor in California in the 1960's and 1970's that was also a very renown big game fisherman. Some people know him by his very personal tackle. He had Neptuna fit a 6/0 Fin-Nor into one of their cradles, then custom make a 30 pound class Lamiglass rod with eight Aftco Roller guides and a Aftco Tip top. Don't really know why someone would want a rod built that way; but, it is what it is.
             The next rod is one of mine. I installed a Senator 114H into a Neptuna cradle, cut up a appropriately sized locking reel seat to install into the cradle then cut up a Penn Speciall Senator 6/0 rod to fit the male end of the locking reel seat ferrule. Painted and clear coated the cradle. So, after a $250 investment to build this rig, I have a rig that I put more money into than I can sell it for, so it sits in my rack.
             Moving on, we have an Ocean City 10/0--Model 810 Cradle reel from the early 1950's. What made me keep this rig is that it still has its original rod tip. The rod tip is a solid fiberglass 80 pound class tip. The tip was very cracked, so I had a friend of mine, (at the time), restore the rod for me. It will be forever retired; but, at least it was saved.
             Next is one of my own creations. A Neptuna cradle with a Penn International 80. I have seen only one other of these. Mine is build with a 1960's vintage 80 pound class rod tip installed into the cradle with a big game locking ferrule. I believe the rod is a Montague rod but I do not know the brand of the guides. Anyone that might be able to help me with that info, I would be grateful of.

I will continue with this in another post, my picture hosting service is getting temperamental and dumped itself. Tis is Part One of the new cave story.

coastal_dan

John - Nice Job!!! You had a busy weekend!

Mike - Impeccable...'buff said  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

Continuing on with my cave remodel I will move along the 10 foot wall. The old Splint cane surf rod is one of the only items that did not get moved. It stills sits where it did before.

I built these new cabinets out very exotic American Select Pine. After pricing Walnut and Cherry wood, I decided I was a Pine kind of guy, I also did consider that the money I saved using Pine rather than a furniture grade wood will feed my family for a month (they get really mean when they are not fed ???), so, Pine is the wood of choice for my cave.

I needed to get my stuff out of the deep shelves I had them hidden in. I sort of forgot what I owned, so this new display unit was built for a purpose of self-awareness.

Now I can see my stuff and all is well in my cave again.

My research and never ending Bill Paying center has a desk just big enough to do the job I need it to.

Thanks

twotone

twotone

Tightlines667

Nice looking set up there.

Thanks for sharing!

I can see you have a number of special items in your collection.

May I be so bold as to ask for a bit more information on that Blue-colored OC box, and the red box adjacent to it? 
Also, I like the fact that the OC Dover Club is prominently displayed on the top shelf, behind glass.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteMay I be so bold as to ask for a bit more information on that Blue-colored OC box, and the red box adjacent to it? 
Also, I like the fact that the OC Dover Club is prominently displayed on the top shelf, behind glass

Hello John,

The blue box has a red reel in it. it is a 961 Sea Coast model. I have to research it. It is one of those reels that was hidden away and I forgot I had it.. The box was homemade by an old friend of mine. The box next to the blue box is an original Ocean City Inductor Surf reel, Model 250 and box.

Yes, my Dover Club reels are very special, to me anyways.

Maxed Out

Now that's how to get the most out of a small man cave. Looks like you built the shelves around the reels to maximize space.

Even used the space behind the door. Oh well, you'll have to hang you ironing board somewhere else eh? ;) ;)

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteNow that's how to get the most out of a small man cave. Looks like you built the shelves around the reels to maximize space.

Even used the space behind the door. Oh well, you'll have to hang you ironing board somewhere else eh? Wink Wink

When you live in "Hotel Cacioppo", you have to use every inch of space you can come up with. Notice the little white bumper on the end of the desk top, that stops the door from hitting the reels.

Penn Chronology

Mike - Impeccable...'buff said  Grin

QuoteNice Wall of Fame!

Thanks Guys!

Shark Hunter

Very Nice Mike.
I would love to have a Cave like that. ;)
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI would love to have a Cave like that

It is easy, lock yourself into the smallest room in the house and refuse to come out. Tell anyone trying to get you out of the space that you need it for business to support the family and that they should leave you alone and be happy they have such a great provider. If that does not work, build a shed  ::) ::) ;)

Oceanreels

Very nice Mike. A lot of work went into building those shelves.  Have to ask what's on the other three walls?
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

coastal_dan

Very nice new set up Mike.  You have obviously invested serious amounts of time and dedication to your collection; quite amazing.  When you get a chance, maybe add the photos to the 'cabinets and displays' post in the Antique section, that way your custom work can motivate some of us in the future  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...