Bearing vs Bushing Spool 9/0

Started by dogdad1, March 18, 2014, 11:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogdad1

I'm working on a 9/0 that has a bushing-type spool.  Seems the spool turned out to be cracked   >:( , so I'm in the market for a replacement spool. 

About all I can find on eBay is bearing-type spools.  Is there a difference?  Will one work for another?  Can I just replace the spool and use the same end-piece bearings, or do I need to change them out too?  (Not sure with what, however, as places like Scott's only show bearings and no mention of bushings)   

???

"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Shark Hunter

If you change to a bearing spool, you will have to change the Handle side plate as well. The spool that cracked was probably a three piece and the bushings will only accommodate that type of spool. You can put a bearing plate on the handle side and leave the bushing on the other to run a bearing spool. Its not very cost effective. you are probably better off just keeping that reel for parts or selling it.
Life is Good!

dogdad1

"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Shark Hunter

Sorry for the Bad news. I learned the hard way myself. There is a guy in here named Topshot that had a bushing model 9/0 for sale for forty bucks. I don't know if he still has it or not.
Life is Good!

dogdad1

So, looking at Scott's (for instance), they differentiate between the bearing types by just the shapes, but how about the spool itself?  How can one identify which is which?  Or is this something so obvious if I had both spools in front of me?

I found several spools on eBay, but the sellers didn't know which kind(s) they had.

I took the chance on that reel, but found the spool is also cracked.  Hence my interest in hopefully changing it all out.

Shark Hunter

Here is a classic 3 piece spool. They are prone to warpage and simply can't take the abuse.

Here is your one piece.
Aluminum and Chromed brass.

The shaft on the end of the spool is longer for the bearings.(See the bearing on the handle side of the 12/0?)
Your reel has what looks like the head of a bolt where that bearing is. You can't put the one piece spool in your reel without changing that side plate over to a bearing model. I have seen anomalies with a bushing showing on the plate and a one piece spool, but wouldn't take a chance on them afraid that the spool had been Bubba'd. ;)
Life is Good!

john2244

Daron,

Unless I am missing something, and I may very well be,  the left side bushing from one of my Penn 9/0's will not fit a 9/0 bearing type spool.  I tried both an aluminum and chrome/bronze one piece spool and the opening of the bushing was too small to fit over the end of the spool shaft.

John

Shark Hunter

John,
I am basing my theory here on the 12/0. I am guessing you probably have a very early 9/0 that you are trying to convert?
I just know from experience on the 12/0 bushing model, that it can be converted from a 3 piece spool bushing model to a bearing spool and right side plate. I have several 9/0s that have a bearing on the right and a bushing on the left with a one piece spool.
Like I said previously, I have seen anomalies with a one piece spool and bushings, but have been shy of buying them because I don't know of such an animal. You probably have an early plate that won't accommodate the newer bearing spool.
I just stay away from bushing reels and three piece spools entirely now. Its too expensive and too confusing. You have some pics?
Life is Good!

john2244

I am not really trying to convert a reel I was just curious how well a bushing would fit a bearing spool.  And in this case it does not fit.  The spool shafts are clearly a different diameter.  I will try other bushings from different 9/0's and see if any of them fit.

John

Shark Hunter

Just to make sure we are clear here John. The Handle side needs the bearing. The non handle clicker side is the bushing. Its the Handle side of the spools that are different.
Life is Good!

john2244

Daron, yes I understand.  Regarding your 9/0 reels with a bearing on the handle side you may want to confirm the clicker side plate bushing is not actually a bearing.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 18, 2014, 11:46:03 PM
If you change to a bearing spool, you will have to change the Handle side plate as well. The spool that cracked was probably a three piece and the bushings will only accommodate that type of spool. You can put a bearing plate on the handle side and leave the bushing on the other to run a bearing spool. Its not very cost effective. you are probably better off just keeping that reel for parts or selling it.
I called in the expert on this. He says that we are talking about two different things. I haven't actually done this to a 9/0, but have on a 10 and 12/0. I guess the 9/0 is different.
"the 40-114 will not fit the 9/0 shaft.
A 40-116 would cure that problem, but if you happen to find some of those, I'll take a few ;)."
Life is Good!

floating doc

I have an old 9/0 with a one piece brass spool. It could be either a bearing or bushing reel?  I'm not that concerned either way, as long as it has the one piece spool it should serve well.
Central Florida