Maximum Drag for These Reels

Started by sundancer, March 31, 2014, 12:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

Gents,

It has been a long winter.  I have acquired several Penn Reels from eBay, one very nice one from ak-fish, thanks..

The list includes 349, 350, 60, 500.  There seems to be some overlap on the line capacity which would seem to indicate that they also overlap in maximum drag.  

It would be ashame that this is true, esp the heavy (winch of a reel) 349.  I would like your thoughts, experiences  with these and the possibility to upgrade 1 or 2 with new washers and ss bushing (possibly the easiest of the upgrades) to max it out.

Thanks for your opinions
Steve
Miles to go.....,

Ron Jones

So,
The 350 would have the least drag because of its tiny gear and relatively high ratio, it also has the skinniest spool.
The 60 and 500 have comparable gear size, and the lower ratio reel (the 60,) has the bigger spool diameter, so I am betting they would present very similar drag numbers if filled to the top of the spool.
The 349 uses bigger everything. Lee could tell you better than me but you should have no problem getting the drag you expect out of this reel.

That being said,
The 350 would be a nice bay / light surf reel. The 60 and 500 are general purpose reels, the 500 can be built to a higher level of performance / refinement.
The 349 is an open ocean reel.

You are well on your way to having all your bases covered up to what most people fish for. No waste their at all.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

The 349 was designed for 30# but with a 5+1 drag stack (Smooth Drag has the kits) it is a strong 50/60 reel.  Some of mine have 7+1 drag  stacks (my R&D parts) and they are extremely smooth when fished at 20# of drag.  I'd recommend the Smooth Drag upgrade.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Several years ago I ran some drag tests on my 349 and 349H reels.  The 349 maxed out at 29lbs and the 349H at 18lbs.  I'm not sure why the large difference, maybe the different gear ratios had something to do with it, as well as slight variations in the other components.  

I wouldn't exceed 7lbs drag with the 350.  It is a lightly made reel and some parts may be impossible to find, so treat it gently.  

George

viurem lliures o morirem

sundancer

Great info.  Thanks..

I am looking at a supposedly near new 349.  If i get it, i will try to upgrade my 'other' one. 

Now the 500's are 500S's.  Should i monkey with one or just use 'em and take care of 'em? 

The reason i ask is that it seems that with the exception of a 113 and the 349, they are all spooled with 20 to 30# line.. 

Steve

And by the way.  These Penn's are an addiction........  the wife is starting to catch on....    :-)  :-) 
Miles to go.....,

sundancer

Quote from: George4741 on March 31, 2014, 02:55:58 AM
Several years ago I ran some drag tests on my 349 and 349H reels.  The 349 maxed out at 29lbs and the 349H at 18lbs.  I'm not sure why the large difference, maybe the different gear ratios had something to do with it, as well as slight variations in the other components.  

I wouldn't exceed 7lbs drag with the 350.  It is a lightly made reel and some parts may be impossible to find, so treat it gently.  

George

Yea.  Pretty cool.  I am tempted to take them out of the rotation......  it is just a shame to not use them though.

S

Oh, and i think mine isthe 349H.  Will have to check tomorrow.  Would be a shame if your test is correct.  Would like 30-ish without spending any money
Miles to go.....,

Keta

I've found most 349s are the 349H, the markings are the same on both.  The fastest way to tell what you have is to take the handle and star off and try to remove the drag stack, the eared washers hang up if it's a H and fall out if it's not.

You should upgrade to a SS 113H gear sleeve & AR dog and replace the 6 frame posts with 3 of the 506 spacer bars like below.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com" (image file fixed) [/c

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sundancer

Quote from: George4741 on March 31, 2014, 02:55:58 AM
Several years ago I ran some drag tests on my 349 and 349H reels.  The 349 maxed out at 29lbs and the 349H at 18lbs.  I'm not sure why the large difference, maybe the different gear ratios had something to do with it, as well as slight variations in the other components......
George

Just counted the spool rev's.  2+.  This should make it a standard 349 and not the H model. 

Will have to try to find some weights to test against.

Thanks George

S
Miles to go.....,

sundancer

Keta,

Good suggestion on the spacer bar.  I will try it.

UPDATE -  very quick look and it looks like the Bars are no longer available.  I willtry finding them tonight.

Question.

The belville washers under the star are sitting 'together' like this, )) not like this ( ) as suggested on another thread.  Is this important?  What are their function?

Thanks
S
Miles to go.....,

Keta

Quote from: sundancer on March 31, 2014, 10:10:02 AM

UPDATE -  very quick look and it looks like the Bars are no longer available.  I willtry finding them tonight.

Question.

The belville washers under the star are sitting 'together' like this, )) not like this ( ) as suggested on another thread.  Is this important?  What are their function?

Thanks
S

Too bad, I need 4 or 7 more to finish my reels.

On the belville spring washers,  They can go either way, I prefer () because I don't see the need for the higher spring pressure that (( gives you.  The function is to buffer the pressure on the drag stack and give you a smoother ramping up of the drag.

Mark Twain

sundancer

Ok.  I took the drag apart and there are 4 drag washers in there.  It doesn't match the schematics.

What's up?

S
Miles to go.....,

Ron Jones

Which reel and was one underneath the main gear?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: sundancer on April 01, 2014, 12:18:53 AM
Ok.  I took the drag apart and there are 4 drag washers in there.  It doesn't match the schematics.

What's up?

S

4 fiber washers or metal washers.

Mark Twain

sundancer

Lol. oops.. 

349.  4 drag, 1 keyed, 3 of the others.  All just under the Star Adjuster..

S
Miles to go.....,

Ron Jones

Sounds like someone stuffed in an extra washer to make up space. Should be no big deal, especially if they are carbon fiber.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"