Fin Nor LT 100 rated well by Alan Hawk. Ok, its a spinner.

Started by Reinaard van der Vossen, April 27, 2014, 02:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

I am so bummed out.  MY trip this weekend has been cancelled due to family emergency with the captain.

LTM

Is there a tutorial/review on this site yet for this reel? It would be nice to SEE what you guys are experiencing.

Leo

Porthos

Looks like Alan H. was right on target about negative threads cropping up about his review, though most responses have been very different from what the nay-sayer intended:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/587929-fin-nor-lethal-100-not-understanding-hype.html

alantani

and people ask why i stay clear of spinners......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Porthos

My LT100 got field tested on the Alan Tani 2014 Spirit of Adventure Charter.

Line: 50 lb Suffix Braid
Drag setting: 13.5 lbs from top of spool (probably around 15 lbs with line run on the rod guides)

Lost two yellowtail (1 due to bad Yucatan knot; 1 due to line breakage as I tried to clear the bow anchor).
Afterwards, got two YT landed (first around 20 lbs, second around 15 lbs).

Neither YT managed any significant runs; there was no frame flex detected during fights. Reel seemed just as smooth after the second YT was boated. There was times when it was difficult to turn the crank, but it was probably due more to the fact that my fighting position was not optimal. I was nowhere near pushing the reel as hard as Alan Hawk did--and I have no intentions of ever exceeding 16 lbs max drag.

After being on the boat for five days and banged against the boat rail and other rods and reels multiple times, the bail arm joints (?) did get lines of the sliver-gray paint scratched off, and the spool edge got some minute dings--the usual typical boat rash. Otherwise, the reel is mechanically ready for the next trip.

Very satisfied with the reel and its performance.

Etchase

Received mine today. It came with a spool spacer to adjust line lay. Anodize on spool was good, no defects in castings I could see. Well lubricated. Hope to try it in the next couple of weeks.

king_nabu

What is the thickness of the spool spacer that you use for best line lay? My early production Lethal 100 did not come with the extra spacers.

floating doc

Central Florida

Etchase

I used two of the three supplied spool spacers. Didn't measure the thickness, sorry. Water has been pretty rough here, so I've only been trolling. No chance to use the reel.